Anyone in Ehrenburg right now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we will be headed down to the berg next week. Met up with Reno here as well as a guy i met in the walmart parking lot(david). We are currently up craggy wash. Drove over to the new van build location 2 miles away this morning. It is alot bigger than the last venu but is a dust bowl and a get stuck in the powder everywhere if you are not careful. I would not take my trailer down there but that is just me, plenty of rv's and vans there currently. Met a few youtubers and that was fun. Jamie is doing a great job with the event and lots of good work being done!

-Mike

highdesertranger said:
I also have a converter to convert the Public Land Survey into Lat/Long.
how would you use that three word thingy on a paper map?

like this...

i-am-here-map_med-2.png

:)

Attachments

• i-am-here-map_med-2.png
    i-am-here-map_med-2.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 22
highdesertranger said:
how would you use that three word thingy on a paper map?
Horses for courses

saying "west side of the fourth big climbing rock at Sheep's Meadow" in Central Park works for some

My Android Navmii does work offline.

But yes I can see paper is best in some contexts, but nobody uses just one tool, W3W is just another one for the kit

Made it this afternoon and got a nice hearty wave from the couple in the  first RV I drove by. Thanks for the welcome. I'll make sure to stop and let them know how welcoming that feels.
Met a couple of other campers as well, everyone is very friendly so far.
Got water and a few last minute things at The Laundromat, very friendly folks there too.

Hope this is right place for the following questions:
Weighing now the cost of buying water and paying for 5gal toilet dump in Blythe vs paying for a LTVA with facilities?  Is there are free water, toilet in Blythe?  If I am dispersed camping, I usually find a potable water spigot at a park ranger's station and then a pit toilet somewhere.  Wondering if anyone knows.

LTVAs are $180. for the winter season. There are 7 or 8 of them scattered throughout southern CA and western AZ that you can move around to as you choose.

However, not all LTVAs have running water and dump  stations. Most of them are simply cordoned off areas of BLM land with dispersed camping on other BLM land close by.

There are some rules that you should be aware of if you're not in a fully equipped (black/gray tanks) RV. Some of the LTVAs won't allow you to camp there at all without the tanks, some will allow you to camp but only within 500' of the vault toilet.

I buy my water at any one of the numerous water places in Blythe, Ehrenberg or Quartzite depending on where I am. Usually 5 gallons for a dollar.

There are dump stations in both Ehrenberg and Quartzite. Blythe has dump stations at a couple of the RV resorts. I'm not sure of this years pricing because I'm not there yet nor do I use them.

The laundromat in Ehrenberg has both potable water and a dump station - water is free if you're using the dump station. It's city water so I go up the road to the Glacier fill station anyways.

Weigh the cost of dump stations/water purchases against the LTVA fee and read up on which LTVAs have what facilities.

Personally, I like not being confined to camping within boundaries  - for example, the LTVA at Holtville CA has no facilities so I couldn't camp there anyways. Right behind it is BLM land that is free and I can camp there. It means an extra 1/2 mile of driving to get to the hot springs every day...no brainer where I stay... :D

On etiquette: all good suggestions...as usual. when you knock on a door back away several feet.

Better yet, don't knock on a door!

Stop when you get to the 25' mark and holler 'Any one Home' - if someone says 'No', you know you're not welcome.... :D 

Actually, it is recommended because not all of us have curtains/blinds that block out all visual access. At 25' you avoid being able to look in. At knocking distance...not so much!

I'm a newbie to the forum and currently camped in the LTVA in Quartzsite. It would definitely be nice to connect with some fellow nomads for some conversations around the campfire or morning coffee.

I'm not attached to staying in La Posa and wouldn't mind checking out the Ehrenberg scene.

a note about the LTVA, like Almost There said not all have water. another thing is no gate with them only letting in people who have paid. on the main entrances some have a little building where you park and go inside. you can pay fees there or buy maps or just say hi and ask questions. last year the one that is south of the RTR I drove into and out of a dozens times from all kinds of different directions. this is perfectly legal it's still BLM land and you still have the right of way. FYI, I have also got water at them before. basically they only check for permits if you are camped. highdesertranger

MFrancisDwyer said:
I'm a newbie to the forum and currently camped in the LTVA in Quartzsite. It would definitely be nice to connect with some fellow nomads for some conversations around the campfire or morning coffee.

I'm not attached to staying in La Posa and wouldn't mind checking out the Ehrenberg scene.

We're only 18 miles away MFrancis. Bob posted instructions and a video earlier in this thread. Not too many folks here yet but the ones that are here are well spaced apart, close enough to walk by their camp but not right out your door. A group of four of us ( all unknown to each other until yesterday) are at the end of the road so drive the whole road and find what works for you.
ghsebldr

Thanks for the welcoming invitation. I may stop by for a few nights before I head over to the Hot Springs in Holtville for a while.

Thanks for advice. I should be there and square in a few days. Didn't plan on leaving for a few weeks but the van was on autopilot

Met a couple of folks at the Eherinburg location, we are at Plamosa Road in Quartzite right now.

We may move over in a few to Eherinburg, not sure as we love the current location.

We are in the 40’ Gray Cyclone toy hauler, with the giant landing strip (Solar) on the top.

I have arrived at Ehrenberg. I'm down at the end of the road with a group of 6 other rigs. The road is washed out just after this and I didn't see anybody beyond this point.

I'm in a Class C with all the logos removed and I have a portable solar panel on the ground beside me. Feel free to stop by and say hello.

Here at what I think is general area (east frontage area) ...hope to meet some of you in this beautiful desert , have a great time everyone

Newbie, first timer arrived in Erhenberg camp today.  Hope I’m near some of Bob’s tribe.  I’m in a Fed Ex aka Ford Transit passenger van.  Lol. I am a little concerned that when I do go in to town that when I return my spot will be taken (not really that big a deal) or I won’t even be able to find my spot.  Hoping to meet the tribe even though I find it difficult meeting people.

Sue Ann retired RN
3 four legged kids
64 yo
Ford Transit

Try to leave something there to mark your spot.  Maybe a "luggable loo" and a 5 gallon can!   :D

Pat

Blythe has a dump station at the city sewer plant on Broadway south of the city. $7, non-potable rinse water.

Ehrenburg laundromat has city water $1 all you want, dump station $. Flying J's dump station was broken all last winter.

Thanks to Steve, Dave and Gordy for your welcome and great conversations on my arrival in Ehrenberg. I'm down in Holtville soaking in the hot springs, but I'll be back at some point.