Where are you living at right now.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagabum

Reaction score
Don't reveal your favorite camping spot but where are  you . What city/state  are you in, what is your altitude. What are the highs like in your area and the lows. Are you in a park, BLM, RV resort, forestry, etc.   What are you doing with your time ,  if you want to reply?

Me, I'm in Rockport Tx right now doing build #5.   I am  at 5' sea level .  Temperature  yesterday  was 95/79, today the same. .  At base house.  Number 5 build is going to be different from my past builds . I guess you will call it a hybrid.  I purchased a new 78-144 all aluminum flat bed Alumaweld trailer (675#).  The  bed is [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]also[/font] Al .  I am now making a 74"x144"x84" " box" to slide into it. Plywood skin , ripped 2" studs from WP 2x4's.  It will have 4 coats of gloss white marine paint. 2" foamboard insulation all walls. 4 windows / 1 door in back. Starting interior build now.

Glen Canyon National Recreational Area at 4,000 feet. Low last night a little cooler than it has been in the upper 80’s, high yesterday 103 degrees as it has been for weeks and don’t really remember what rain looks like. Living in a motor home on full hookups as I am working part time. Kayak fishing this morning while it was cool. Finishing up projects one being a box on my trailer as well. I would highly recommend arching or using a slope on the roof to prevent pooling water and to prevent dirt build up and stains. I would highly recommend also using Poor Man’s Fiberglass (PMF) if you are going to use paint anyway. It is unbelievable how much strength it will add if done properly. My box is almost exactly the same size as yours and can be jacked from anywhere when changing trailers with little or no flexing.

Eastern Sierras, National Forest, near Mammoth Lakes CA. About 7,500 feet. Highs of about 85°F/30C, lows about 55°F/13°C. Humidity about 25%. Chances of occasional spotty light rain. Hazy sky from various wildfires.

Grand Rapids MN. Elev. 1300'. Low 80s daytime, upper 50s at night.

Boondocking and misc. CGs in the Chippewa NF. Wasting time ( I do a lot of that). Also visiting graves of family members.

Off soon to visit the shore of Lake Superior and boondock in the Superior NF.

Staying on site at a vineyard in historic Chiltern, Victoria, AUS (population 900) in the boxtruck/motorhome conversion. Building a chimney. atm, still cold here being winter.

bullfrog said:
vent pooling water and to prevent dirt build up and stains. I would highly recommend also using Poor Man’s Fiberglass (PMF) if you are going to use paint anyway. It is unbelievable how much strength it will add if done properly. My box is almost exactly the same size as yours and can be jacked from anywhere when changing trailers with little or no flexing.
Was not aware of PMF, will have to look that up. Thanks for sharing.

slow2day said:
Grand Rapids MN. Elev. 1300'. Low 80s daytime, upper 50s at night.

Boondocking and misc. CGs in the Chippewa NF. Wasting time ( I do a lot of that). Also visiting graves of family members.

Off soon to visit the shore of Lake Superior and boondock in the Superior NF.
Upper 50's at night ...nice sleeping weather.  Thanks for sharing. 

rokguy said:
Staying on site at a vineyard in historic Chiltern, Victoria, AUS (population 900) in the boxtruck/motorhome conversion. Building a chimney. atm, still cold here being winter.
Winter there, we are burning up here, awesome... Thanks for sharing.

rokguy said:
Send us a picture of your awesome work when you're done?
:shy:

[ATTACH=full said:
26791[/ATTACH]Sofisintown pid='504253' dateline='1597897841']Send us a picture of your awesome work when you're done?
:shy:
Thanks guys, fireplaces and chimneys are popular ATM. Nearly done with this one, another one to go to next week.

Yackandandah fireplace.jpg

Just finished this 23ft high one in a nearby town. 18 Tons of hand picked local granite, hand cut and laid and all transported 3T's at a time in my little truck (pictured)

finished chimney and letterbox.jpg

Attachments

• Yackandandah fireplace.jpg
    Yackandandah fireplace.jpg
    614.6 KB · Views: 13
  • finished chimney and letterbox.jpg
    finished chimney and letterbox.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 23
A good description is in Teardrops and Tiny Trailers foamies forum. Basically what I did was brush on Tightbond III waterproof wood glue while laying damp Harbor Freight drop cloths on the surface and work more diluted glue into the canvas completely enclosing the box (it is referred to as the sock principle) as it dries it shrinks and really makes it sturdy, then acrylic latex house paint is applied over that after the glue and cloth have completely dried out. You can use it right over foam to make a durable and easily repairable surface. If you want a super smooth surface inside you can use bed sheets. Any where you want to mount something with screws just cut out the foam and glue in a wood dowel or block then apply the PMF.

Thanks for the info bullfrog, I looked at some videos on this subject, very interesting indeed. I am still thinking about my coating, the only thing I am sure of so far is I am not purchasing any aluminum skin materials or high-tech materials from Elkhart. I already have marine grade oil base paint on the way so I need to use it. Right now I am in sanding mode and filling the joint cracks with Wood Bondo and more sanding , I have made 1 decision , I hate sanding!

Just outside Bend Oregon. 4000' Low last night 58, forcast high today 83. Clear sky with no smoke. Ponderosa pine forest so lots of shade and no bugs.

Now in splendid Silverton, Colorado, surrounded by 14,000 ft. peaks. Sunny, high today 77, low 50. Only drawback is that every campsite is jammed to the gills.

I'm currently in Wyoming around 6200 feet, highs have been around 90 this week, with lows around 58.

Regarding crowds in Colorado, that is why I generally don't go to Colorado until after Labor Day. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day the 6 million people that live in Colorado all want to go camping. After Labor Day they tend to go back to their houses, jobs, and schools, and start waxing their skis so they can crowd the ski areas starting in November.

Bagabum: How will your rig (the basic trailer & box) compare in cost and total weight to the same size cargo?

(Quoting hard on this tablet)

rokguy said:
Just finished this 23ft high one in a nearby town. 18 Tons of hand picked local granite, hand cut and laid and all transported 3T's at a time in my little truck (pictured)
Here I was wondering if "rok" == "Republic of Korea".
Rock guy. Nice chimneys.

OREGON.............

Along Hwy 140 in the Fremont-Winema National Forest....Between Medford and Klamath Falls.....temps 50's-80's

I THINK this used to be "4-Mile Quarry" but the poor lake has gone DRY.............

NICE AT&T (WiFi) signal....... NetFlix !............. We're staying......................

State of serenity. 

It has been 120 degrees highs and staying in the 90's at night, humidity less than 10 % in the low desert, AZ. No worries, there is AC everywhere if you get hot. I have heard there are cooler temps on the east side of the Sierras right now.

Today was much cooler with some cloud cover, just over 100 degrees and humid. Hope to get some rain but so far the monsoon is dry.

Project is flipping trailers. I am back to painting again after doing hours of fixit.
-crofter