Beginner's questions on starting Vanlife

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceci388

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post my questions... so I put them here. :huh:

This is my 1st time seriously thinking about living in a van long-time
Due to this pandemic, I figure that I need to start exploring possibilities of new life & away from toxic people and situations.

As I’m doing my research, there are several things to my consideration: :idea:
1)    I’m on a small budget & neither a mechanic nor a carpenter.
2)    I don’t need a big bed, so a solo foldable small mattress & a blanket will work just fine for me.
3)    I can cook by just using a single slow-cooker or rice cooker. So I don’t need a kitchen, but I do need an electricity source to power my cookers.
4)    I’m under 5’3” woman, so I may not need a high roof van to stand inside.
5)    I don’t have too many clothes or personal items to begin with. I can fit my stuff in about 4 U-haul medium boxes, as of now.
6)    I prefer to shower & other bathroom business inside my van.
7)    I need Internet for personal entertainment. :D

As a beginner, I’m highly considering a no-build model
Then I can fit just a small foldable mattress, couple Walmart cabinets, slow-cookers, a mini foldable table & set up a retractable bathroom.
Several questions come to mind though… for a solo vanlifer on a small budget:

1)    How much solar will I likely need to power up 2 cookers, maybe 1 mini fridge & charging my phone, mini fans and LED lights?  
Would a Renogy basic system be enough? 100W? 200W?
2)    What van model would be more reliable & easier to find a fix at repair shops? From my YouTube searches, I see people do conversions mostly on a Mercedes-Sprinter (which is very expensive to my knowledge), a Ford Transit (questionable liability for me), or a Ram Promaster (??).
3)    Are there any other price-tag friendly and reliable van models out there (besides the 3 above), like a Chevy or a Toyota?
4)    After I buy a van, who would I reach to if I need to remove the backseats & change or clean the flooring? Could an interior-detailing shop handle these tasks? A mechanic? A handyman?
5)    Once I get my van & convert it, do I need to upgrade to class B or A license to drive it around? My license only covers class C.
6)    What would be a reliable Internet source on the go? Data? Wifi from a modem? Satellite internet?

I did many Google searches & watched a bunch of YouTube videos, but most of them turn out to be expensive and/or complicate conversions (though look very nice). I get quite confused since different Youtubers say different things about van models, let alone how they convert the vans. :-/ I don’t need that many complicate details for my van to live in, and I prefer my stuff to be more adjustable anyway.

Sorry for a whole lot of questions, but like I mentioned, this is my 1st time and I’m getting a little confused… :huh:
Please advise. I thank you in advance for your suggestions. :)
Cc

Ok some thoughts--

your electrical system design depends on the amount of power that you require. This can get complicated as you need to figure out the total wattage you will be using-- add up the power requirements of all your loads per day and then that will give you a ballpark idea of what you need. It will also help you in sizing your battery bank and solar array.

On toilet/shower stuff-- this is a thorny issue. If you want to do this it will require some things that can get expensive and difficult. A shower will require a water system ( pump, hot water, and a fresh water supply and a holding tank for the runoff). A toilet will also need a black water tank (unless the portable type). Remember that you will have to empty the waste tank and that means finding a dumping station and can get expensive...

On internet I would suggest using a cell based system for ease of install.

As far as van purchase I agree with Bob-- I like GMC/Chevy vans as they are reliable and repairs are easy to get in the US and parts are readily available-- just my opinion.

The forum is a gold mine of of information that delves deeply into all these issues in much greater detail on all of your questions. Go through the various threads here and educate yourself more..

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM :)

Welcome Ceci to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

couple of thoughts,
It would help to ask your questions in seperate posts, not all at once. you will get a better response.
Heating anything with electricity is expensive. It would be much cheaper for you to start off using propane or butane to cook and heat water. then you could use a much smaller solar system.

Highdesertranger

You do not need a special license for a van or small RV. You are lucky to be short. The smaller you are the easier it is it seems. If you are trying to live like you did in a house or apartment it will be expensive. If you have camped or lived out of a backpack for long periods it will be easy. When you start loading a van up with lots of solar, a shower, a toilet, a refrigerator, a cooker plus your belongings it gets heavy which requires a 3/4 ton van which gets expensive, not as expensive as a house but possibly more than you have. Learning to compromise, live simply and use the resources around you makes a big difference as do skills like mechanics or carpentry. Many have bought a tow vehicle and a small camper trailer when they start out because the don’t have the skills or are not able to deal with a big change. Over a period of time usually they add solar and convert to better boondocking systems. It is possible but difficult for some, the more camping experience and flexible you are the easier and cheaper it is. Try some camping in what ever vehicle you have and see what you need before spending money on a van.

Here is a link for satellite internet options.  They mention StarLink as a future option and I intend to look into that option.

You might check out Simply Lesa on youtube.  She is a minimalist living in a mini van.  You can get ideas for a no build van setup and go from there.

Ceci388 said:
Sorry for a whole lot of questions, but like I mentioned, this is my 1st time and I’m getting a little confused… :huh:
Please advise. I thank you in advance for your suggestions. :)
Cc

You're confused because you're trying to make too many decisions with no real-world experiences.

My advice is that you need to start going camping right now, in the vehicle you already own, with stuff you already have or can buy at a thrift store. And remember, you can camp in your own backyard or a friend's back yard, if you're really worried about getting caught without something. You're the only one who can decide what YOU need to live comfortably in your vehicle. After you've done that for a while, the issues you are stewing over now will just drop away. Really. 

All you really NEED to start with is a comfortable way to sleep in your vehicle, and some tote boxes to organize the stuff you bring with you.

Following each trip, ask yourself - what is the ONE thing I MOSt wish I'd had with me, then see what you can do to take care of that ONE thing, as cheaply and easily as possible, for the next time.

Keep it simple, always.

2x the above unless some kind of situation is forcing you out immediately.

Van choices are personal and costly if you make a mistake so go slowly. At your height the older mid-top conversion vans, while thirsty fuel wise, will allow you to stand up and you will like that.

I think before you dump a lot of $ into solar, alternator charging of a house battery and the myriad of battery choices available etc. you should spend some time - hours of it, watching minivan and cargo van conversion videos. Stay away from the Sprinter-like conversion videos as they are overly complicated, usually costly and mostly show-off, if even actually real. It seems many are just for the ad-sense revenue.

Depending on what part of the country you will be in you may not even need supplementary heat. Cooking is very simple with a propane camp stove. Refrigeration is not mandatory to begin with and keeps you from having to dive into batteries/solar/expenses right off.

Toileting is described on most videos. So is lighting and window blocks. Ventilation is needed, full size vans can have a manual or powered roof vent, minivans not so much. You'll want one or two small 12v usb powered fans (see WM.com or Amaz.com)

Beds are always described with most being a cot (cheap and light), a single metal frame w/mattress or some version of the custom fitted/framed variety (more complicated).

No special licensing needed. You "should" try to learn the conversion process yourself so you know how to fix it or can describe it. Many women have done their own, you can too.

Vans can easily become money pits both mechanically and from YouTube envy so #1 get it looked at by a mechanic before you buy and #2 make a list of wants (likely several pages) and actual needs (just a few lines). Learn to differentiate between the two.

Spend hours using the "search" function or just flipping/reading through the forum headings. The forum is well separated out for topics.

Good luck and have fun.

Just camping out is a good way to get started. A cheap Coleman two burner stove with a 20 lb tank, a cooler, and a good camp chair and you are ready to go.

This is assuming you are not stealthing it in an urban area.

If you want to shower in your van and don’t get a hightop, you’re going to be showering on your knees or fully bent horizontally at your waist. I have a small hightop and, at 5’4”, I have to bend my head down. I originally planned to build a shower/bathroom at the rear of my van but unwittingly bought a short wheelbase - limiting my floorspace of ideas. Showering at a gym has turned out just fine. If you join a national chain you’ll have many locations to go to. Also anyone can pay for a shower at a truck stop.

I have a camp toilet that I only use for #1 first thing in the morning and for emergencies. I add about 1 cup of white vinegar to cut down the smell when I remove the 2 covers for use. When covered there is absolutely no smell. I dump it at a park restroom 1-2X/week. It can be converted to a composting toilet. That was my original plan but it’s not always easy to find the peat moss, so now I use public restrooms whenever possible.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Hassock-Portable-Toilet/10098758

Misc: I use a single-burner butane stove, run the van for heat & a/c, and use Mint mobile for cheap cell & internet service. I have a set up to use a Mr. Buddy heater but need to put a bit more work into my van before making it a permanent & safe install with a 20-lb propane bottle.

My first rig was an old Ford Van my Dad had.  Not a high top.  It had a folding cot rigged across the rear wheel wells and boxes under the simple bed to stow clothes, bath towels, clothing, etc.  The floor had a plywood covering from the front seats back and indoor/outdoor carpeting on it.   It would be called a non build today.  Dad had built a cabinet with a cook top   and sink on top of it. One door had a folding table attached to it.

I bought a small Thetford chemical toilet for around $60 bucks and a black plastic solar shower bag but only resorted to them if I were rough camping.  They sell special toilet tissue for these but I've found the cheap Walmart tissue works OK.  Again, use public facilities as much as possible.  This Covid has really disrupted being able to live out of a rig. 

Some people are building these 2 gallon garden sprayers for showers.  They splice a kitchen sink sprinkler to the hose of the garden sprayer.  Then paint the tank flat black so it can sit in the sun and heat the water inside. 

[img=631x500]https://livelikepete.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/P1170167.jpg[/img]

To use this inside the rig,  you may need to purchase a plastic bin  to catch the water you have showered in...and later have a place to dump the water.

Below in the signature line are a couple of websites of mine that may be worth your time to look thru.
As for solar there are others here more qualified to answer your questions.  Personally, I use propane where possible and if electric is available I have a small electric skillet.  But there are several sources for 12 volt vehicle electric appliances.  In my rig I have the battery for the engine and a second battery in the rig for the lighting & other needs.   The house & vehicle batteries charges as I drive.

12 Volt Travel

just starting out myself, I don't have all your answers. I have decided though, to go with a van as you can move into the back without any need to go outside where others can see. I did look at the dodge vans with the extra headroom, but no way did I want front wheel drive. I finally decided on the GMC with the extended length. Welcome, and good luck on your journey.

Showering inside can be done without building anything. Many women are choosing to use fold up dog pools that have a side drain. Then hang a shower curtain up to keep splashed water going into the pool. As you will be conserving water when you bathe the pool will not get very full. When you set it up position it with the drain facing and close to the side door. Since the pool is flexible and you do not have more than a couple of gallons of water in it when done bathing you can empty it by sliding the side with the drain so it just hangs out the doorway a few inches so when the plug is pulled the water goes into a bucket you set on the ground. Collapsible bucket is a good choice for space savings.

When folded up the dog pool does not take up a lot of room nor does the shower curtain. These items do not weigh a lot. You can sit or stand to bathe .

Attachments

• IMG_1114.jpeg
    IMG_1114.jpeg
    355.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: