Landrover re-configure. Putting my project together 3, costs, tools, time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
Fiddly bits: - Gas / water / medics / getting in and out.

Gas bottle / water ... medics - first aid are under the platform.
landy re config 2 gas and water sorted with titles.jpg

Access through the rear nearside door... Hi BOB... Got the same folding step, actually two of them, Also think they are great, yours is black, mine are green :cool: 

landy re config 6 access through rear door.jpg

After I removed the driver’s side jump seat, it left a very nice aperture to store the gas bottle and 15L & water bottle... Shout-out to CRVL for the tip to cover the container in a brown bag.....  Another small but very important detail, THANKS

Right so after getting all of that right, I needed to do a shakedown, and an opportunity for a 4 day camp in a camp ground  came up with our local forum that I’m active on so I went along.

I’ve posted about that, but here is what did not work out.
At the last minute I switched 2 burner stoves, to one that has it’s own legs and is free standing, figuring that it would free up tailgate table space...
Yes it did free up table space, but I gotta close the legs each time I pack up.. So I switched back to the original one I posted about in part 2

I’m using the front passenger as clothing storage, that works, but not in a backpack. I got to rummage through to get what I want. So that’s changing to a plastic 3 drawer set, I intend to face it to the door and use a cam-lock belt to strap it to the seat back.... Gotta make a frame of sorts so it sit’s level on the seat base.

Blackout curtains... Just got the material cut, however, my idea to put them over the door (inside and out) then just close the door works well.  Also gives double layer on the window. Now I got to sew them with hems and shape them a bit... Nothing fancy mind...

What’s new for me and worked so well it even giggled my hormones...
Bicycle... well that’s just a winner.... Rode around the campground a lot, and I’m super stoked about that... A BIG shout-out to whomever it was that suggested that... But now I’ve got to finish my bike rack on the front...

My new sleeping bag suit (see pic.) Well that’s just the best thing since sliced toast... Way better than a sleeping bag.

My sleeping bag suit for R50 (3.5USD) best thing since sliced bread
sleeping bag one zee suit 1.jpg

Walking round in minus something deg C in my sleeping bag.... bloody brilliant!
landy re config 6 walking in my sleeping bag.jpg

SUMMATION
From the rubbish dump (all for free)
Platform – was a double futon bed base – had all the screws already
Bed boards – was back boards from a junked kitchen
Tailgate table frame – was the top piece of a smaller pallet
Tailgate table top – protection between the big cardboard box that goes on the pallet, and the pallet.
100mm Risers for the freezer & the general purpose cabinet – Piece of lumber lying about
New general purpose storage box, and the varnish to varnish it
All the hardware... wire / screws / piece of bungi-chord for the front curtains ETC.. I have a HUGE collection of “hardware stuff” collected over many years..
Sewing machine (investment for a service R200)
Hacksaw & blades I used to cut the wood and blades (I’m forever finding hand tools!)
2 sheets of thin board to make templates of the sunroof for reflextec covers
HUGE reflextec windscreen – dashboard cover  more than adequately covers the Landrover windscreen
Gas pipe / and hose-clamps
For the bicycle rack: - All the metal / the pool noodle / turnbuckle belt / straps
Grid for the condensation – fresh air grid – was a wire shelf... I’ve got about 7 left.....
Rip stop canvas bag for the 15L water container – was a barbeque grid bag, (those hand grids with the extending handle that clamps the meat in-between the metal grid)
Piece of electrical conduit tubing for the poop curtain rod (between the doors)
Pot stand – slice of a tree trunk
2 dozen cardboard core’s (from sellotape or something) 80mm ID x 100mm Long.... Ggoing to use them to hold rolled up clothing (shorts & T’s and stack the rolled up clothing “end up” in the 3 draw unit which is my wardrobe. That way I can see exactly what I want and it stays neat. (old camping trick)
8Kg bag of cat-litter for the plastic bag or my poo
YIP............ Think that’s about it.

FROM THE FLEA MARKET – BARGAIN BUY – THRIFT SHOPPING
6M 80% shade-net for shower and change-room screen @ R35 / m = R210 (hardware price R120 / meter)
+- 20 Sq M reflextec type material ............ R100 Don’t know how much that costs new, going to use it for sunroof insulation to keep heat in, stuff on the roof keeps heat out.
My Sleeping bag suit R50, (similar one costs R500)
Job lot of sewing stuff – needles / pins / safety pins / press studs and a plastic shopping bag full of different colours cotton (R50)
Current General Purpose cupboard R20 (new one is from the rubbish dump)
Bicycle, second hand spotted on Facebook market, R1000.......... (comparable price R4000+)

WHAT I PURCHASED NEW
Waterproof camouflage material for the curtains and other covers ..... 7M @ R35  / M  = R245
Trangia copy spirit stove R250 (in case I have to cook inside)

ALL THE REST
All the rest of the things incorporated in the project EG freezer / bedding / grocery box / spider chair / gas bottle / 2 burner stove... All that stuff I already had so I’m not costing that in, It did not cost me anything to do the actual re-configure...

TOTAL COST
Total spent = R1835 (exchange rate 14) = 131USD
Income from last month’s boot sale (selling stuff to cover costs) R3200
Income from last Sunday boot sale R900
Total income = R4100 less what I spent R1835 = R2265 (161USD) PROFIT!
DAMN! Should be doing these projects more often!

BUILD PARAMETERS
Do the whole project without spending any money.............. Check
No towing.........Check
I must be comfortable  for up to 10 days..............Check ... 4 day trial done, few bits & bobs to still sort out
I must be self sufficient for up to 10 days..............Check
I must be able to stealth camp........... Check
I must be able to explore from my base-camp.........Check (Bicycle & GBHB)

Think I did OK.....

BUT HERE IS THE KICKER – TOOLS USED (AND SERIOUSLY, I KID YOU NOT)
Without any help,  Cordless screwdriver (OK BOB I saw your post, I happen to have a 18v Stanley) / vice – see my post regards my vice post) Hacksaw / square / tape / steel ruler / pencil / drill-bits / rasp / bastard iron file / shifting wrench / large scissors / Oh and a sewing machine.

To finish it off, (tailgate table top / new general purpose box / reflextex and curtains I’m going to need a jig-saw, possibly a hammer and a Stanley knife.
Welding and drilling the bicycle frame was done freebee at work by the handy-man

BUILD TIME
Between dog training – scrounging at the flea market / thrift stores ETC a training project for work in my private time and all the other things on the go over weekends, I get about  a half day on Sunday to put into “projects” I’ve taken about 6 days so far, remember I’m packing out & packing in every time. If I worked continuously probably 3 – 4 days?

Attachments

• landy re config 2 gas and water sorted with titles.jpg
    landy re config 2 gas and water sorted with titles.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 34
  • landy re config 6 access through rear door.jpg
    landy re config 6 access through rear door.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 26
  • sleeping bag one zee suit 1.jpg
    sleeping bag one zee suit 1.jpg
    800.6 KB · Views: 22
  • landy re config 6 walking in my sleeping bag.jpg
    landy re config 6 walking in my sleeping bag.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
I love the Landrovers.... so our post intrigued me. Sleeping Bag Suit? I just finished a 3 week excursion. Man O'man do I wish I knew about the existence of these earlier!

I also like the efficiency of your build. Why was it recommended to cover the water bottle in Brown cloth?

Thank you, and thank you for sharing.