Landrover re-configure. Putting my project together part 2

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
Did I mention that part of my build plan was to pay nothing ?    :D  

Anyhow this is where the wheels nearly fell off because of the wheel well.

With my Waeco 50L flat on the platform, the wheel well pushed it into the bed space, and it was nearly impossible  to look into the freezer, and If I
lifted the freezer above the wheel well, then I could not open the lid enough to see inside.

I eventually got the problem sorted by lifting the freezer and moving the passenger seat forwards, I got it low enough to see into, the lid clear’s the roof and close enough to the door that the back of the freezer does not encroach into the bed space.. 

From there on, things fell into place quite quickly. Next up was my tailgate kitchen, that just dropped straight in, just as I had planned. That left an ample space behind the chuck-box and the side of the freezer for my grocery box.

I’ll do a post on my tailgate – chuck-box, again it’s a re-purposed fishing tackle backpack that I had knocking about and the bottom started life as a coffee side table... Got Junked.... Dumped at the rubbish dump, and now lives on happily as a pot-box!

My grocery box is simply a polystyrene cooler box that I had somebody cover with rip-stop canvas, with a zip round the top so that it can be opened. The rip-stop is just to prevent the polystyrene form getting damaged, nothing to do with insulation. The cooling comes from gel packs, which I keep frozen in my freezer, and when the gel packs in my polystyrene grocery box unfreeze, I simply swop them out. Between my grocery box and my freezer, I can store 10 – 15 days supplies easily.

I got a nice little bedside cupboard that was a similar length & width as my grocery box from the flea-market, for R20 (exchange is what?  14ZAR to the USD) anyhow next to nothing......... I turned it on its side, lifted it to clear the height of the mattress and had me a very passable general purpose cupboard, and put the grocery box on-top of that

Next up was to take care of condensation and fresh air.

That was a piece of cake.... I took one of a few metal wire shelves i got at the rubbish dumps and turned it into a guard, the fits into the window channel at the top, and bent it so that the top of the window pushes it upwards into the channel...  Now I’ve just waiting for a junked nylon tent at the rubbish dump, I’ll salvage the netting and sew it over the grid.....

grumble window guard.jpg

grumble window guard in place.jpg

After that came my tailgate table. Again, as a frame I used a piece of a pallet top (thinner slats) that I scrounged at the dump as a platform. I also scrounged a 4ply board that comes between the box and the pallet to cut a top for the frame. (Haven’t done that yet, Landy’s in for service and what not).

So I jumped onto my sewing machine (which I got at the dumps...... I kid you guy’s not... See photo.... As I got it. Obviously somebody passed, and their next of kin just up-chucked everything... I took “the old scrappy suitcase” Why? Because I managed a sneak peek without being noticed, saw the machine closed it up, the case was buggered up, so I pad zilch for it... Turns out it’s one of the very best sewing machines money can buy, a Husquerverna!!

A service later and I got me a sewing machine for R200....

sewing machine side.jpg

Anyhow I jump on my machine and make a table cloth with a draw chord underneath so that I can remove and wash it. 2 pieces of rope, some filing away of the corner where it sits against the lip under the back door and table done! Cost? Nothing....

So here are a bunch of photo’s

All about the freezer

landy re config 2 50L fridge freezer installation with titles.jpg

landy re config 2 50L fridge freezer installation.jpg

landy re config 2 freezer installation just fits with titles.jpg

landy re config 2 fridge freezer installation 2 with titles.jpg

The rest of the layout

landy re config 3 whatnot box 1 fits perfectly with titles.jpg

My tailgate chuckbox - kitchen

landy re config 2 tailgate kitchen with water.jpg

landy re config 6 chuckbox - tailgate kitchen.jpg

The tailgate table starts with a piece of pallet

landy re config 2 tailgate table.jpg

After I covered it

landy re config 3 platform screen and table.jpg

Where I hide my 2 burner stove under the platform, nice-n-handy

landy re config 2 plate stove fitment trials.jpg

The whole cooking set up, work in progress, just checking things out. The table is so close to 700mm mm high off the ground as to make no difference. This is the standard height of a table so I can eat there as well... (part of the planning)

landy re config 2 tailgate kitchen.jpg

Attachments

• sewing machine side.jpg
    sewing machine side.jpg
    930.8 KB · Views: 2
  • grumble window guard in place.jpg
    grumble window guard in place.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • landy re config 2 50L fridge freezer installation with titles.jpg
    landy re config 2 50L fridge freezer installation with titles.jpg
    737.9 KB · Views: 2
  • landy re config 2 50L fridge freezer installation.jpg