Landrover re-configure... Its a bloming sickness

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leaky roof

Reaction score
So I got It'l Dodat (that's my Landrover's love-hate name, shortened from: - if I want to do this, it will do that.... If i want to do that, it will blooming well do this.....)

Any how, I got him back from the doctor yesterday and it's all good, so there's me, early evening, back into the thick of things, re- arranging the layout down the left side, with the things I got to sort out what diddn't work with my 4 day shakedown, and my new general purpose storage box. (I've posted pics about that in part 2 & 3)

So here is what I've NOW got: -

A two compartment general storage unit, one uptop the other, the new one needs to be slightly modified to account for the freezer's 12v lighter plug, and to access form the front. the original cupboard is ontop of the new one, which cans the idea I had to use the new one as a cooktop for crappy weather.

BUT I figured this out, if I attach two bath-chain supports to each side of the door of the original one, when I open it, it's a perfect little table top for my Trangia cooker... I'll have to do pics...

Upside of all of that is, my big (4L) kettle, my scullary basins and my bag for charchol / briquettes are stowed a heck of a lot more convieniently & neatly

My wardrobe: - Originally I used a back-pack, on the front passanger seat, but that entails scratching out everything, so I bought a plastic 3 draw - sliding bin unit to put on the front passanger seat, facing the door so that I have full access....

Works brilliantly!  I  tilted the seat slightly "over-forward" and the unit sits square & upright.... Problem is I can't see the off-side rear view mirror from the driver's position....

So here are my options: -

1) A fender mount trailer rear-view mirror, but that's going to bugger up the exterior asthetics (got one)
2) Store the whole unit on the bed when driving, but moving that back-n-forth's between the bed and it's place on the passenger seat's going to get very tired very quickly
3) remove the top bin and only have 2 bins, then I can see the mirror over the top of the 2 bins.... But what do I do with the third bin? a bit pointless moving one bin back & forth.....

wadda I do.....wadda I do.....wadda I do.....wadda I do.....

Then: -
watching utube about nomads, I "picked up on" someone who uses an umbrella at the back over their tailgate kitchen. Now I've always carried an umbrella.......... I call it my portable tree, because generally where I want to stop and have a snack / enjoy the view, there isn't a tree in sight, so i"ve long since organised a 3m brolly but on a bracket at the front.

This time my bicycle sits up front and my cook space is at the back... So now the brolly is a bit dysfunctional.

My portable tree
portable tree b.jpg

Roofrack layout, driver's side
landy re config roofrack layout with titles.jpg

Having seen that blooming good idea, I've scrounged some metal off cut's (from the scrap steel bin at the rubbish dump) :angel: and will soon be making a bracket that locks into the left side rear farm-jack jacking bracket.. so there will be more pics on the way.

HDR, Thanks for your interaction, I value that...

So.... Like I say.... It's a sickness :cool:

Attachments

• portable tree b.jpg
    portable tree b.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 6
  • landy re config roofrack layout with titles.jpg
    landy re config roofrack layout with titles.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Hi Grace

Thanks for posting in.... I do value comments, and yours definately put a smile on my face at 06:00 in the morning, here at my "office" in the factory...

Being the Quality & ISO MR for the organisation, when I joined this company 11 years ago, I opted to put my desk right in the middle of the factory floor.... noisy, not very comfortable but effective.... I've got an official "offfice" in the front... Somewhere............ Mostly I use the boardroom.....

Scruffy’s nose is completely out of joint and she is not amused..... AT ALL :mad:

Let me start about 3 month's ago...

We lost our family dog, a Swiss Shepherd to cancer. Although she seemd in good health after the op, the prognosis was not good, it was already in the chest & had eaten away at the ribs, so we decided in order to avoid the pain that was coming down the road, we let her cross the rainbow bridge....

Chris & my Granddaughter Caylin (8) saying forever goodby....
In 30 odd years I've only seen my foster son Chris cry twice... The first time when his newborn son Aiden all wrinkly & pink was handed to him outside the ward, and when we said goodby

mia saying forever goodby 1.jpg

My grandson Aiden...(now 9)  Loved my defender
Aiden.jpg

Grandkids.... Woke up one Sunday morning to sqeeek........squeeeeek........ squeeek .... Eventually got up and went to investigate... Found this.... When I asked what was he doing, he answered "I'm building a house for mommy"... We're Arickaans, so that was "Ek bou n huis vir mama"

Now for him to do that he had to clamp the wood, climb up on the Landy, cut the wood, climb off, re clamp the wood, climb back up..... That's one heck of a lot of effort....

It's moments like that that will forever stop me from being nomadic.. For me, between living out my my committment to do right by him, when I fostered Chris and my desire to be out there will always be a compromise... I'm happy with that..

Aiden 01.jpg

Anyhow, back to your welcome enquiry, the breeder has since given us a new pup, who after a war bordering on the magnatude of WW III the grandkids settled on her name ZOWIE (I think that’s the spelling)

So Scruffy’s become the target of “puppy antics” and she is definately not amused....Not at all....

Bear in mind, I’ve seen my Doberman, when she was a pup,  take off down the driveway howling her lungs out with Scruffy attached to her lip......

There’s gonna come a time.......

Attachments

• mia saying forever goodby 1.jpg
    mia saying forever goodby 1.jpg
    680.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Aiden.jpg
    Aiden.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Aiden 01.jpg
    Aiden 01.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 7
Hoo-boy..as we say about my 2 corgi hooligans: "there will be blood"  :rolleyes:

So I did some work on the interior and my portable tree.

Most of the time I spent on the interior was removing the handles on my Waeco freezer and replacing them with handles made from a piece of webbing belt. This freed up about 120mm space and the top cabinet of my general purpose storage is now not off set to accomodate the handle.

As for my portable tree.....
I had this whole bracket thing that locked into the farm jack jacking point all worked out, found the bits to make it at the rubbish dump and guess what?....

A simple piece of chord later......

Tryout's...
landy re config portable tree tryout.jpg

Simple piece of chord
landy re config portable tree works just fine.jpg

New pole bottom----- Just need a few holes, (will do on the Deckal milling machine at work)
landy re config portable tree pole bottom.jpg

Slight modification of the square bar for where it goes into the umbrella
landy re config portable tree pole top.jpg

Attachments

• landy re config portable tree tryout.jpg
    landy re config portable tree tryout.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 6
  • landy re config portable tree works just fine.jpg
    landy re config portable tree works just fine.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 4
  • landy re config portable tree pole bottom.jpg
    landy re config portable tree pole bottom.jpg
    822.4 KB · Views: 3
  • landy re config portable tree pole top.jpg
    landy re config portable tree pole top.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 3
Leaky roof said:
...re- arranging the layout down the left side, with the things I got to sort out what didn't work with my 4 day shakedown...

So many nomads think they have the perfect layout — maybe one they spent months pre-planning — only to discover the problems when they try to use it.