Preparing to live in 2-door hatchback, seeking advice.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stix

Reaction score
I'm not very social or active online. I'm a lurker, usually. However -- I found Cheap RV Living through YouTube and I wanted to say it's been a profound resource and confidence/inspiration builder for me. So... I wanted to thank Bob, Suanne, and everybody who makes the videos possible, and everyone who shows their builds & tips. It's really helped me make some decisions that I think will make my journey better and safer. I'm still half terrified, but that may just be my current life stress seeping into everything it shouldn't be. Anyway...

I tend to be verbose in text, so... cutting to the chase-- advice needed:

1). How can I order things online to help me build out my car as needed in the weeks after I've started living on the road? Where would they be delivered?

2). Any specific locations you'd highly recommend for this first-timer to acclimate to her new life for a few weeks? Ideally: free (or very cheap), safe, but I won't have to be too close to others (I'm not social), but with resources not too far if I find I've forgotten a major thing. Not off-road, because I have an itty-bitty car (not much ground clearance), and personally, I'm out of shape. I prefer cool, wet, and mountains as opposed to hot, sparse or flat scenery (but I'll take ALL advice into consideration). I was trying to get a summer job I'd had before at a resort near Jackson Wyoming (the valley is so beautiful it makes me ache), but it looks like I've missed the best window of opportunity for that. Plus, I'm having major knee problems and I figure not working will actually be healthier for me for a while. I love that area, but I know staying there is very hard on the finances, so unlikely for me for long. The states I'd most like suggestions for: South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico. Not trying to be picky, just trying to give a lot of information because I usually see a lot of vague questions on forums.

3) Any other tips are welcome! I've watched a ton of Bob's videos (and others). I'm going for bare minimum living at first. Just the basics (eating, sleeping, keeping warm, waste, cleanliness) and that's probably it, to start. But if anything jumps out at you that you think I should know, I'm all ears. I'm trying to do this right, or as close as I can get, but I'm still learning.

More Detail:
I'll be heading out around the last week of April, and will likely be living in my car for at least 5-6 months, if not longer. I'm leaving a situation that is physically comfortable but making me deteriorate mentally. I'm scared, but I have to go be on my own, focus on myself for the first time in years, and just concentrate on being healthy mentally and physically, not needing anything from others, and not having others needing things from me.

I've randomly slept in my car a lot over the years to escape my home life or get some peace & quiet, but I've never lived in a vehicle. I have been camping a few times, years ago (still have the tents and sleeping bags though), and I've traveled coast to coast alone before, and done numerous shorter 2k mile trips, so that should help a bit. But it's still daunting to make the big leap.

I thought I'd be traveling with a sizeable trailer, but life intervened and I will likely end up in my tiny Hyundai accent hatchback with 217k miles on it (new engine and clutch 2.5 years ago, but still.), simply because I already own it, and that leaves more of my meager savings to live on for a while as I figure my life out (as long as the car holds up okay). I'll make do with what I have. That's my motto lately. I actually have some designs in my head for car living (now that I've adjusted to that idea), and I'll gladly share them later if they build out okay.

I'm currently in the planning phase, trimming my "wants" down to "needs" as far as things I must purchase before I leave. I know my "wants" may change as I experience the reality of living and utilizing the space in my car for a few weeks, and I don't want to regret a crazy build layout, so I'm not letting myself go nuts (also, my budget is small and won't allow it... heck, my car is small too and won't allow it! lol).

I had trouble deciding on a forum name, but I used to play a 5-piece drum kit, so I went with Stix. I can't fit the drum set in my car with a mattress though. maybe someday if I have a trailer. ;) I may still pack the sticks though. Hard to let go, even though I'm way out of practice.

Also, I may like.my privacy and solo time a lot, but I do hope to meet some of you someday. Maybe I'll join up with a caravan at some point.

Anyway, you all seem like good folks. Hi.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums. 

I'll offer you to check out the links below.  They are free.  The top one (van conversion) details a "Bug out Car" which is a
modified hatchback.  

The one below it is a portal of handy info to have when on the road or to pre-plan a trip. 

All the best.

Thanks, eDJ :)

Funny to see the drawing of the bug out car bed angled layout-- that was something I had in mind (but my drawing skills are terrible so I didn't attempt, haha).

Thanks for the links, I'll be reading them!

By the way, I'm sorry if I'm not replying correctly, i'm not totally sure how to use this forum yet, and I'm very tired today.

Welcome Stix to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

tip, sometimes when asking so many questions in one post some of the questions get lost. you will get much better response if you ask 1 or 2 questions at a time in the proper sub forum.

highdesertranger

I'd suggest doing a shake down. Go camping if it's practical on the weekend using everything you plan to.

If that's not practical. Try just living out of your vehicle for a week or two before your trip. This will allow you to make adjustments as needed.

This is taken from some advice I received when I started bike packing. Pack up all my gear and even though I still stayed in my house. The only things I could use were what was packed on the bike. You will still find you will need to make adjustments out on your adventure, but hopefully they will just be minor adjustments.

It sounds like you're looking for a non-desert scenario. Not sure where you're starting out from but some of us are actually planning a meetup that I don't really want to announce yet right around your get-started time in an east coast location that sounds like it might meet your needs. PM me if you'd like some more details.

Hello Stix - welcome - You are at the right place for info on living this life not just surviving it. My "safe place" is the hard wood forests of South Central PA. If you're ever in the area message me. I can show you some beautiful and free campsites both remote for alone time and close enough to a small town with nice stores and laundry mat. I am in a full size van but have camped in and out of many vehicles and situations. If I were in a small vehicle I would think backpacking gear. light weight, small and designed to meet basics with that in mind. You don't need the expensive fancy gear. Walmart sells nesting kettles, sporks, folding bowls, etc. They are not the high quality gear at REI or Wildernest but do the job. backpacking stoves can come in small enough to fit in your pocket but a butane or even better duel fuel Coleman or Coleman clone will be better and take up just a little more room. Having a reliable stove in a huge asset. I like my alone time and find that a cheap notebook and deck of cards, dice etc make time go better. of course if you have electronics of some kind that takes the place of those. Where I camp there are some sites with phone service so with the right electronics you can access online. Water is another thing that adds weight and takes up space. Walmart and Cabela's sell collapsible water containers that fold when empty and therefor take up less space. never underestimate how much water you need.. I use a plastic tub about ten by 18 with a lid for toiletries. The tub stores your things and becomes your wash basin. Good quality cordage (like paracord) is a multi function necessity - Clothes dryer, equipment tie down, tent or tarp line. I say quality cordage as knots are tied and removed more easily and strength is needed for some jobs. believe it of not a boy scout manual is a campers encyclopedia - from fire building to potty tips, cooking, first aid, knots and much more, all in one book. A first aid kit is good - Prepacked first aid kits are unnecessarily expensive and can be put together by you for much less, but look at the prepackaged one to get ideas for what you might need. Those cheap blue plastic tarps take up small space but come in handy for a multitude of camping needs. Cloth bags for clothes for etc can be crammed in where plastic totes won't go. Ones at grocery stores will work but I prefer zippered ones, they a available cheap at thrift stores. Thank God for thrift store. I never buy new silverware, knives, pots pans etc. -thrift stores for them too. A folding potty takes up less space than the traditional bucket but 5 gallon buckets can be found for free. If they were square they would be much more space saving - some square buckets can be found. Look at bakeries and dellies for cheap or free. I mentioned Walmart and Cabellas but Amazon has this stuff too and CRVL gets a small percentage in you go through their web site. Just be careful on Amazon - Like the nesting pots and camping equipment can be expensive so keep looking for the less expensive unless your budget can take it. Better can be worth the price but sellers often sell the lesser quality for more than you can get it for if you look harder. There are web sites that teach homemade camping gear. One I have used is a stove made from a tuna can (chicken comes in the same size and is a much less fragrant option. Cut corrugated cardboard the with of the height of the can and roll it and fit tightly in the can. Melt paraffin and fill the can with same. This makes a good camp stove and source of heat but this should never be used in the vehicle as it is one hot candle and throws a big flame. You can cut back on the size of flame with a can lid (pliers to move and not get burnt) but is never safe in a vehicle . Alcohol based hand sanitizer is a great fire starter and much less expensive and more environmentally friendly. Again dont be fooled by the high priced stuff. The dollar stores sell large bottles for much less. Wow I did not know I would write a book when I started but there is much more to add.
It's just that I have been camping for more than 60 years and never had much money for the fancy stuff. Oh by the way army surplus wool blankets cant be beat but don't be fooled by imaginations - 100 percent wool is the best. I have several that I sewed between sheets that warm ye up fast. keep in touch.

Nature Lover

Welcome to the forum Stix!
To answer a few of your questions:

1. Other than going to a sticks and bricks store (which is preferable because you can actually look at the product and access it's usefulness and value to you) ordering from Amazon is one of the easiest ways to get things when you're on the road. Amazon's hub pickup locations are expanding so it should be even easier in the future. Amazon Hub

2.  Free Campsites is a great place for finding places to camp.  https://freecampsites.net/
New Mexico has a camping pass that will allow you to camp for free for a full year. Pass
National Forest campgrounds are inexpensive and in beautiful locations. https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/ You may be able to get a summer job in one of the more remote locations.

Wow, such great replies! I'll definitely be looking back to this thread as I do more research. Great suggestions here! Thank you!

...and If I should reply to each person individually in the future, someone let me know. I'm still learning the forum etiquette.

pure_mahem I think that's a great idea. I'm not sure it'll be feasible with my timeline and finances/supplies yet, but if it is, I'll definitely do a test run like that. :)

Firebuild good to know! I'm native to the East Coast. I'll message you tomorrow (getting ready for work tonight).

nature lover heh, you wrote a great book, filled with good tips, and I enjoyed reading it! :) I used to have an army surplus blanket for YEARS, and that thing was my favorite blanket ever. I took it everywhere. So useful! And PA is very nice -- my first ever camping trip was there! My buddies and I camped on a friend's relative's huge plot of land deep in the woods. Had a great time!

tonyandkaren I didn't know about Amazon hub, thank you! That's exactly what I needed! And thanks for the other links!

where you can pick up packages depends on where you make your online purchase and what shipping services are offered from that site.

Fed EX has lots of store fronts plus they have associated merchant sites where they can ship your package to and it will be held for you there. So if the item is shipped to you using Fed Ex that expands your opportunities. They are called Fed Ex hold at locations. Some companies that are associated are Walgreens, Dollar General, Albertsons, Kroger, Safeway and lots more. Here is a link to those Fed Ex associated drop off and pick up from hold locations. https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/onsite.html

Amazon if of course on retailer who has their Hub location secure boxes.

But it is not just Amazon now where you can place an order. Stores such as Home Depot, Walmart, Sears, Costco and many other major physical store retailers including drug stores and grocery stores have now joined into the order online and pick it up at a secure store front location game. Those other website locations now allow you to order online through their website all kinds of goods that are not normally stocked in their physical stores but where arrange to purchase online items that will then be delivered to the local storefront from that retailer for pickup at their customer service counters. So when searching the internet for an item you want to buy just look at the search returns that bring up those retailer web sites. You will quickly get used to shopping that way and seeing those types of search returns. This is certainly good news for the Nomadic population. But of course also good for homeowners who don't want packages left on their doorstep when they are not home during normal delivery hours.

if you have family or friends who are forwarding things to you then you can set up a FED EX account. Then if they weight the package you can purchase the appropriate weight of shipping for the package, fill in the information for where to ship it and send them a .pdf file of the shipping label for them to print out and adhere to the package. Then all they need to do is drop it off at a Fed Ex location. It saves them the hassle of standing in line paying postage and waiting to getting reimbursed by you.  Of course you can also do this same thing with some of the other shipping companies that allow you to have a free account with no monthly fee.

Great that you already have tents! I sleep on a cot in my car, but set up a tent when at a campsite and put all the kitchen gear, folding table, chair, etc. in the tent. I am sure the ]park ranger thinks I sleep in the tent :) I feel more secure in the car and stashing things in the tent make for more room in the car.

The screen window thing looks neat - what I make myself does not keep rain out like that one. If you buy one, let us know if it is made well some things like this are not built to last

maki2 it's unlikely anyone will be sending me items, but that's good to know, just in case. :)

GypsyJan yes, i've heard of people using tents for exactly those porpoises. Smart.

nature lover it's probably not in my budget to purchase it, but if I make one, I'll definitely let you know.

Bob has a fantastic video on Mew Mexico. Incredibly cheap yearly pass, don’t have to move far after two weeks ( to the next park I believe) and beautiful clean bathrooms with showers! Don’t have the link but you can watch his videos on cheap places. Watch Serene and Simple Life. I’m not a fan but she has lived in a car for a while now. And as some people told you I get packages at my mail drop. They also forward mails and are very reasonable.

Lerca: yes, I've seen the video you reference, and I've been seriously considering getting the New Mexico parks pass. That would give me a good starting point to get used to things and feel secure while I figure out how I want things to be in my space and learn what I'll really need. :)

I'm not very social or active online. I'm a lurker, usually. However -- I found Cheap RV Living through YouTube and I wanted to say it's been a profound resource and confidence/inspiration builder for me. So... I wanted to thank Bob, Suanne, and everybody who makes the videos possible, and everyone who shows their builds & tips. It's really helped me make some decisions that I think will make my journey better and safer. I'm still half terrified, but that may just be my current life stress seeping into everything it shouldn't be. Anyway...

I tend to be verbose in text, so... cutting to the chase-- advice needed:

1). How can I order things online to help me build out my car as needed in the weeks after I've started living on the road? Where would they be delivered?

2). Any specific locations you'd highly recommend for this first-timer to acclimate to her new life for a few weeks? Ideally: free (or very cheap), safe, but I won't have to be too close to others (I'm not social), but with resources not too far if I find I've forgotten a major thing. Not off-road, because I have an itty-bitty car (not much ground clearance), and personally, I'm out of shape. I prefer cool, wet, and mountains as opposed to hot, sparse or flat scenery (but I'll take ALL advice into consideration). I was trying to get a summer job I'd had before at a resort near Jackson Wyoming (the valley is so beautiful it makes me ache), but it looks like I've missed the best window of opportunity for that. Plus, I'm having major knee problems and I figure not working will actually be healthier for me for a while. I love that area, but I know staying there is very hard on the finances, so unlikely for me for long. The states I'd most like suggestions for: South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah, New Mexico. Not trying to be picky, just trying to give a lot of information because I usually see a lot of vague questions on forums.

3) Any other tips are welcome! I've watched a ton of Bob's videos (and others). I'm going for bare minimum living at first. Just the basics (eating, sleeping, keeping warm, waste, cleanliness) and that's probably it, to start. But if anything jumps out at you that you think I should know, I'm all ears. I'm trying to do this right, or as close as I can get, but I'm still learning.

More Detail:
I'll be heading out around the last week of April, and will likely be living in my car for at least 5-6 months, if not longer. I'm leaving a situation that is physically comfortable but making me deteriorate mentally. I'm scared, but I have to go be on my own, focus on myself for the first time in years, and just concentrate on being healthy mentally and physically, not needing anything from others, and not having others needing things from me.

I've randomly slept in my car a lot over the years to escape my home life or get some peace & quiet, but I've never lived in a vehicle. I have been camping a few times, years ago (still have the tents and sleeping bags though), and I've traveled coast to coast alone before, and done numerous shorter 2k mile trips, so that should help a bit. But it's still daunting to make the big leap.

I thought I'd be traveling with a sizeable trailer, but life intervened and I will likely end up in my tiny Hyundai accent hatchback with 217k miles on it (new engine and clutch 2.5 years ago, but still.), simply because I already own it, and that leaves more of my meager savings to live on for a while as I figure my life out (as long as the car holds up okay). I'll make do with what I have. That's my motto lately. I actually have some designs in my head for car living (now that I've adjusted to that idea), and I'll gladly share them later if they build out okay.

I'm currently in the planning phase, trimming my "wants" down to "needs" as far as things I must purchase before I leave. I know my "wants" may change as I experience the reality of living and utilizing the space in my car for a few weeks, and I don't want to regret a crazy build layout, so I'm not letting myself go nuts (also, my budget is small and won't allow it... heck, my car is small too and won't allow it! lol).

I had trouble deciding on a forum name, but I used to play a 5-piece drum kit, so I went with Stix. I can't fit the drum set in my car with a mattress though. maybe someday if I have a trailer. ;) I may still pack the sticks though. Hard to let go, even though I'm way out of practice.

Also, I may like.my privacy and solo time a lot, but I do hope to meet some of you someday. Maybe I'll join up with a caravan at some point.

Anyway, you all seem like good folks. Hi.
Hey Stix welcome to "breaking out to the other side" LOL got near nothing about doing your car but played drums too in my youth and transitioned more to hand drums as I got older so maybe a small Dunbeck or Jimbe' somewhere in the future. Best wishes ~ Sky

Don't buy anything. Grab some sheets and a blanket off your bed and just go. Go someplace close and stay for a couple of days. Then return home and assess what you needed/wanted when you were out. Buy/build/modify according to those pain points. Repeat that process as many times as you can before heading out full time in April.

There is no universal list of necessities, everybody's needs are different. It's a matter of figuring out what's important to you.