Anyone Else Like Indian Food?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akblack10

Reaction score
I'm sure there are at least a few other forum members who enjoy Indian Food!  I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and found 6 different foil packaged Indian dishes.  They do not require refrigeration and are reasonably priced ($1.99) so I think they are perfect for the mobile lifestyle.  I had the Punjab Choley today for lunch and it was very tasty!
-AK

Currys and an marsalas and.... yeah I love Indian food.

I came late to Indian cuisine, and mainly due to an IT team member who is Indian taking us there for a luncheon, and the fact her husband was the head chef.  I liked it.  I later found another India restaurant that is even more authentically Indian, whereas the first place, like most "Mexican" places, alters their menu to suit the American palette.  The old adage holds true, if you want the best ethnic foods, go to where the people themselves eat!
Back in my Navy Daze, my ship's mess cranks (cooks) were mostly Filipinos, and they would curry ANYTHING they got their mitts on.  Horrid stuff, and through me right off curry for twenty-plus years.  I thought one was gong to curry ME when I told him he should be castrated for what he did to a good cut of pork.  Sheesh......

Then I tasted Indian curry.  Good stuff, if one doesn't get it too hot&spicy.  I also found I like Chai (tea with milk in it, British style).
As I have aged I have become more adventurous in trying new foods.

My favorite grocery store has a brand of microwave foods that are Indian inspired.  Not bad, for store-bought.

Love Indian food, and miss all the good restaurants back in IL, here in FL it's an hour and a half drive to the closest one.

South Asian (Indian) is the easiest food to cook...My favorite is curried peas over rice. The key is using clarified butter as the fat. Ghee (clarified butter) can be bought in a jar at any Indian Store and will last six months after opening and will keep with no refrigeration. Also most Indian Stores have pre-packaged meals that don't need refrigeration. Palak Paneer is another great dish is one of the most popular indian paneer recipe along with paneer butter masala ...made with spinach or other leafy vegetable. Paneer is cheese and popular both in India and Pakistan. Great Indian restaurant in Flagstaff in the same shopping center as Walmart on the West Side.

South Asian (Indian) is the easiest food to cook...My favorite is curried peas over rice. The key is using clarified butter as the fat. Ghee (clarified butter) can be bought in a jar at any Indian Store and will last six months after opening and will keep with no refrigeration. Also most Indian Stores have pre-packaged meals that don't need refrigeration. Palak Paneer is another great dish is one of the most popular indian paneer recipe along with paneer butter masala ...made with spinach or other leafy vegetable. Paneer is cheese and popular both in India and Pakistan. Great Indian restaurant in Flagstaff in the same shopping center as Walmart on the West Side.

Oh, baby!  You're making my mouth water! :p

Ate Chinese today with some old co-workers/team members.  All of us now retired.  While there met another ex-team member, an Indian fellow who now has his own successful IT company.  He makes excellent Tandoori Chicken himself.

mockturtle said:
Oh, baby!  You're making my mouth water! :p

Me too! Great topic. Gee - no refigeration and the Trader Joe's in foil aren't bad. A little bland for me but a bit o spices can fix that. The TJ's frozen ones are better. :p

akblack10 said:
I'm sure there are at least a few other forum members who enjoy Indian Food!  I was in Trader Joe's yesterday and found 6 different foil packaged Indian dishes.  They do not require refrigeration and are reasonably priced ($1.99) so I think they are perfect for the mobile lifestyle.  I had the Punjab Choley today for lunch and it was very tasty!
-AK

We had an Indian restaurant where we lived in Florida. It diid not last very long. All the dishes were in heavy sauces and it all seemed to taste the same. Plus, it was all over cooked.

Delhi Palace
2700 S Woodlands Village Blvd
Opens at 11:00 AM
Flagstaff, Arizona
Just arrived in Flag yesterday....Mr. Pico and I will go to Delhi Palace and get a 'togo' order to celebrate....
OUR ORDER...
Neer dosa and Chicken curry
Thin and soft rice pancakes served with mildly spiced chicken.
Kaali daal (Punjab)
Spicy and Delicious....a staple Punjabi dish with Tomato gravy, whisked with heavy cream....over rice
Chass will top off our order...a yogurt based Summer drink...I think it as dessert....
YUM....YUM.....YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I enjoyed it the one time I tried it, about 16 years ago, but I hated the food poisoning it caused and never tried it again.  :-/

BigT said:
I enjoyed it the one time I tried it, about 16 years ago, but I hated the food poisoning it caused and never tried it again.  :-/

May be the Anus and Turmeric that you ate caused you to have a loose bowel. You have to be discerning where you eat. Read reviews, etc. You can always look at the rear and see if there is a grease path out the back door. I was a delivery driver for Sysco Food Service. I learned to tell a good place to eat by the condition of the back door of a place I might eat.

I will invent a spell check that checks the words in the context of the sentence!

THE WORD IS ANNIS...........ACTUALLY 'STAR ANNIS'  

A SPICE THAT TASTES LIKE LICORICES.
View attachment 7646

Sameer said:
I will invent a spell check that checks the words in the context of the sentence!

:D  I thought anus was highly appropriate in that context.  Good one, Sameer!   ;)

Sameer said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought you were making a joke.  :p

I like Indian food but it is hard to find a decent Indian restaurant, most make their dishes way too rich, too much butter,cheese, cream, it leaves you with a funny grumbling, over filled gut feeling. The taste is usually nice while you are eating it. Once in a while the combination is right, you can enjoy the food while eating it and not feel balloted or heavy afterwards. I have noticed these are few and far between.