I can't believe..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theadyn

Reaction score
... how utterly miserable I was doing the Mon-Fri tied to a desk. I've gotten SO much done this week, and at the same time, nothing at all. I had to look up this morning what day a week it is, and it made me smile. I feel so free!!!

So far, I've completed a whole course online and starting on my second one, it's a good fit for me and I'm learning a lot. And yes, the courses I'm taking is geared towards something I can do anywhere that I hope some day will provide some income, remotely.

I've also taken my daughter under my wing with budgeting, holding class even, haha. We've gone over and nit-picked and devised a very workable budget for her and her bf and she's on fire with it. We've also done some comparison shopping for food, since food is a big budget item. I've showed her many times in the past how to shop sales, but until someone 'wants' to learn it, it probably won't stick. I've paired making out a list with sale items, we went and compared them to Walmart and got prices, then went to get the items from the store with the sales, and then sat down and added the totals up. It was a $12 save, but everything adds up. We then diced and flash froze some onions and peppers for the freezer than I had gotten on sale, then she saw me completely make a Mexican dinner pretty much out of stuff I had in the freezer or pantry. I tested her on what I used and which of it was stuff I had bought on sale and used.

We've also hit the thrift store twice this week, she found a 12v small crockpot for $3 that she's going to send with her bf for hot lunches. We had contemplated buying the 12v oven, but since we were saving money, this was a great find. He had been eating out every day to the tune of about $15 a day. His burritos he took with him today was a big hit. I scored a small cast iron skillet that was perfect, size and seasoned for $3, as well. Along with this, each a coat and me a few winter shirts.

Today we hit the next town over that has a junk store, didn't find any treasures, but we had a nice lunch out at the café at the Ramada Inn... best dang hamburgers yummm!!! And then it was the library back in our town, where I had her pick out at least one book on money. Every day so far I've given her tests over what she's learned, lol, I'm such a meanie.

And I've read... a lot! I can't believe how freeing this is... I literally skipped into the kitchen yesterday, just from happiness. I really can't even imagine, nor will I ever want to ever work as a slave chained to a desk being miserable every second. I don't know how anyone does it, I really don't. They don't know any other way? I don't know.

I know right now I've got it pretty good, not needing an income, having no bills, and believe me, I'm grateful. So where I am at, now, I will try to align my life here forward to never been sucked in to the system, that Matrix they tell you everyone must do. I don't ever want to own another house or be tied to a soul sucking job I resent to pay for a house. Am going to work towards figuring out a way to earn an income doing what I like and on MY time and wherever I want. If my living conditions change, I will be full time mobile, one way or another. I've tasted some freedom and now will never want to lose it.

If you've read this far, thanks for reading my ramblings.. <3

Three books I've found VERY helpful are:
  • The Tightwad Gazette
  • The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
  • Your Money or Your Life

Tightwad Gazette is a little dated (from the 90's) but the thinking of things is what I found useful and can be applied toward items in your own personal situation.
Dave Ramsey likes to hear the sound of his own voice and his viewpoint is influenced by his religious and political viewpoint. It's more prevalent on his talk show. Like everything else, take out of it what works for you and leave the rest. Just don't be sucked into his wanting to sell you stuff. It's a lot hypocritical :dodgy:
Your Money or Your Life was very meaningful to me. It started me on the path that led me to be interested in vandwelling. Unlike Dave Ramsey, they have a non-profit that has more in-depth workshops and a lot of free downloads.

If you haven't already read them, pick them up at the local library. I come from a financial background and have always liked playing around with numbers, math and spreadsheets. I find budgeting fun, although sticking to my own budget was a skill that took a while to develop. Now it's pretty easy for me. If you have any questions on any of these books or topics, ask me and I'll see what I can do to help.

I've read a bunch of other money 'personalities'. They are all dressing up the same basic concepts really. It's just what packaging and personalities that ring true to you. YMoYL(above) is really one of the different ones. I imagine most people on this forum would find it resonates with them.

Kudos on instilling how important money topics are to your daughter! I wish my mom had done that to me. I would've been a lot farther ahead than I am now.

GypsyChic

I'm trying to teach my adult kids about staying out of debt and keeping bills to a minimum but I don't know if it is working. They seem to be falling for the main stream idea of going into debt to have a good credit score so they can buy more crap on credit. They started out renting to own living room furniture, if you've ever crunched the numbers on that it's the most expensive way to buy any thing! Could buy 3 living room sets for what is paid in rent to own! They will figure it out one day when they see how free I am and how enslaved they are! My oldest is buying a house that is over 2000 sq feet I tried to tell her she is over buying and doesn't need that much house. But bigger is better right?

gypsychic said:
  • The Tightwad Gazette

Very, very good choices. :) The Tightwad Gazette I found in '05, the complete edition, I've read the entire thing no less than 3 times. Although outdated, her thinking is the real lesson. TMMO is kind of what set me on fire back then, I've been a Dave Ramsey fan and have tried to get converts, haha. Going so far as to buy his books for gifts and just randomly handing them out to those that it might help. YMoYL was very good, as well. The relationship with how your time at work correlates to what you buy and if it's worth it is priceless.

Very good choices, thanks Gypsychic!!

Spiritual.. I feel for you. Yep, build up that credit so you can buy more and more and more... ugh! Where does it end? I'm sad to say that I had to let my daughter fail and I watched her do it in the hope that she would someday get it. She's 25 now and I'm hoping this time it sticks. Kids.. we are never finished raising them, are we?

Thank you Sera! :)

Spirituallifetime said:
I'm trying to teach my adult kids about staying out of debt and keeping bills to a minimum but I don't know if it is working. They seem to be falling for the main stream idea of going into debt to have a good credit score so they can buy more crap on credit. They started out renting to own living room furniture, if you've ever crunched the numbers on that it's the most expensive way to buy any thing! Could buy 3 living room sets for what is paid in rent to own! They will figure it out one day when they see how free I am and how enslaved they are! My oldest is buying a house that is over 2000 sq feet I tried to tell her she is over buying and doesn't need that much house. But bigger is better right?

I've found threats generally work for me lol. I set parameters for my son and tell him if he fails to meet them I'm crossing him out of my will. It's kept me from becoming a grandfather, so far...

Downside to not having a "good" credit score these days is its tied to everything! Whether you can get a checking account, rent an apartment, how much you pay for insurance. It's the biggest racket going since you have to buy the damned thing to begin with.

Regarding the book "Your Money or Your Life," I haven't re-read it in the past few years but I think its investment recommendations are probably quite dated unless they have revised them. Otherwise, that book did a huge amount to keep us on track years ago!

Spirituallifetime said:
They started out renting to own living room furniture....
When I used to move around a lot I'd call the furniture rental place and ask them where they sell their used furniture. I'd go there, usually a big warehouse. Every item had a little flaw or two. I'd say ok, I want this, that, and that, brought to my new apartment. It would cost me about 3 months rent, but I'd own it. It's usually pretty durable furniture.

Another book you may be interested in reading is Getting Things Done by David Allen. Just re-read it in the past few days and my head feels a hundred times lighter. I use the GTD method coupled with TheBrain software, which is extremely useful for storing data, tracking information, and seeing how everything relates.

As Dave puts it in his book, your brain is for having ideas, not holding them.

Some background info on Dave and his method: He's a personal trainer for executives and CEOs of fortune 500 companies, the US government, and anyone else that has a lot on their mind. I'm not a rat racer, but I do enjoy being able to clear my head and know exactly what I'm choosing not to do.

activelylit said:
Another book you may be interested in reading is Getting Things Done by David Allen.

Haven't read that one, sounds interesting. Will have to see if I can get it through library, thanks!!

gypsychic said:
  • The Tightwad Gazette

[w.

GypsyChic

Read all three books (or versions of them) twenty years ago. They are outstanding advice focused plans.