Camping coffee bags

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
think of how some Linux users are when trying to convert Windows or Mac folks... 😆
LOL I've been on at least one forum where there was a rule against Windows vs. Mac discussions. It was almost worse than politics or religion! (Only a few exalted Linus-knowing types walked among us and they probably figured we were a lost cause for conversion.)

I've been cold brewing for many years. Not as much caffeine and not as bitter as other methods. I brew it - just soaking the coffee grounds overnight on the counter - and then use the concentrate to make a cup of hot coffee. I don't measure, but pour some concentrate in a cup and add water. I've been using this brewer for several years and I like it a lot. A carafe of the brew might last me a week. Penguin brewer

All I know is that people who like the Aeropress like it A LOT. To the point of proselytizing sometimes. If you're an IT person, think of how some Linux users are when trying to convert Windows or Mac folks... 😆

I think the Aeropress is a bit more complicated that just doing a pour-over. But hey, like what you like.

If you use a press at all it’s the cleanup I didn’t like. The aero press has a stir thing that I think gives you the more expresso type coffee taste. And you make it to your taste. They show you make it with a small amount through the press and add water to your liking. One of the things I got from it is the shorter it takes to brew the better the taste. Using fresh ground beans helps also.

All I know is that people who like the Aeropress like it A LOT. To the point of proselytizing sometimes. If you're an IT person, think of how some Linux users are when trying to convert Windows or Mac folks... 😆

I think the Aeropress is a bit more complicated that just doing a pour-over. But hey, like what you like.
If you need to make a quart of coffee at a time, the AeroPress is not for you! But if you don't need a quart - the AeroPress made the best coffee I have ever made, one cup at a time. Smooth and not a bit acidic.

Alas, I can no longer drink coffee...

I've never done this - can't drink coffee anymore :(.
I can't drink real coffee anymore either - I've been drinking Cafix (not-caffeinated not-coffee that has similar smell/taste to coffee) in the morning instead for years now and, bonus, it will just dissolve in hot water.

Have you tried chicory or other coffee substitutes? Mountain Rose Herbs has a substitute blend that includes dandelion root, chicory root, carob and other herbs. I thought it tasted like coffee, but I am mostly a tea drinker so my opinion is questionable.

Admittedly, I am a snob when it comes to my coffee. As far as brewing, each style has it's place and time. I currently have a drip machine, a pour over cone, a french press, and an old percolating kettle. Before being mobile, I had an espresso machine and a few other ways to brew. I have found that it is more important to have fresh beans and the right temperature for your grind (which is also important) than the device for brewing. You can ruin an exceptional coffee by overheating the water and darker roasts like cooler temperatures. The fresher the bean, the less bitter the brew and more intricate notes early and later. Light roasts can really pop when brewed hotter and shorter (205 deg. F for 2 1/2 min.). Dark roasts come into their own around 190 deg. F for 4-5 minutes. These will vary slightly depending on your grind. Coarser grinds take longer and finer hits quicker. Remember that lighter roasts usually have more caffeine and doesn't last well when stored where your darker roasts will be more forgiving. Hope this helps someone out there to try better than store bought from a can.

Have you tried chicory or other coffee substitutes? Mountain Rose Herbs has a substitute blend that includes dandelion root, chicory root, carob and other herbs. I thought it tasted like coffee, but I am mostly a tea drinker so my opinion is questionable.
It only vaguely resembles coffee, but a good alternative is Chaga. It's a mushroom (fungus) found in Northern regions that you brew like coffee/tea, is dark brown, and is supposed to be very good for your health. Most grind it like coffee but I like to keep it in chunks in the bottom of the kettle. When it's used up, I dry it and powder it for fire starter material. It flashes like a match.

Admittedly, I am a snob when it comes to my coffee. As far as brewing, each style has it's place and time. I currently have a drip machine, a pour over cone, a french press, and an old percolating kettle. Before being mobile, I had an espresso machine and a few other ways to brew. I have found that it is more important to have fresh beans and the right temperature for your grind (which is also important) than the device for brewing. You can ruin an exceptional coffee by overheating the water and darker roasts like cooler temperatures. The fresher the bean, the less bitter the brew and more intricate notes early and later. Light roasts can really pop when brewed hotter and shorter (205 deg. F for 2 1/2 min.). Dark roasts come into their own around 190 deg. F for 4-5 minutes. These will vary slightly depending on your grind. Coarser grinds take longer and finer hits quicker. Remember that lighter roasts usually have more caffeine and doesn't last well when stored where your darker roasts will be more forgiving. Hope this helps someone out there to try better than store bought from a can.
Wow, that is a lot of information. Simply put and easy to understand. Thank you. If I ever meet you I am going to ask you to make me a cup.