Microwave popcorn (NO, not that kind......)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneeus

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Store-bought microwave popcorn is loaded with ingredients most of us shouldn't eat. So for those of you with a microwave, here's how I make America's favorite snack. I should start by saying I've never tried in a microwave with less than 1000 watts. I'm not saying it won't work, just that you'll have to do a little experimenting.
WARNING! If you zap it for too long a time, it can burn the bag. (I've never had that happen)
WARNING! When you first open the bag, steam comes out. Be overcautious; steam burns are really bad.
WARNING! Be careful of that staple. I know that some folks get their stomach stapled, but probably not this way!

Ok, so here's what I do. I take 100 grams of popcorn (about a third of a cup) and place it in a standard brown sandwich bag. They're cheap, and you can find them anywhere.
Then I carefully fold over the top 1/2" of the bag, and put a staple in the center. STOP HERE! Please do not message me about the danger of metal in a microwave. I have been doing this for about 6 years, in my van and before that at home. My current microwave is over 6 years old, and I have probably made 400 bags of popcorn in it. I have not noticed the staple getting hot. (Ok, you can read on now.)
I then put the bag horizontally in the microwave, which I set at 100% power and 3 minutes, and listen carefully for when the popping slows down.

You'll run into some variables, such as how much moisture is in the popcorn, the power of your microwave, how much uncooked popcorn to put in the bag, and how long to zap it.
With my current microwave, it's 100 grams of cheap popcorn, and the cook time is about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

When the popping slows down, I unfold the top of the bag and throw away the staple. If you are careful, you can re-use the bag a few tiimes. You'll probably find that the popcorn is pretty tightly packed, and be surprised at how much popcorn you able to make quickly and without any oil or salt. Now you can add all the toppings you like, and enjoy.

Great tip!

No, one staple won't fry your microwave, see common tea bags for reference.

I've tried the bag trick but an Ecolution popper is a better solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolution-EKPRE-4215-Micro-Pop-Popper-Maker-Qt-Snack/dp/B019HR91W4?th=1
They work great. It just takes some experimentation with the popping time. On my 700 watt it takes 3 mins. and 12 secs. There usually are a few unpopped kernels but if I set it for longer, some will burn. I paid $13 for one last year and the price has gone way up. Right now there looks to be used ones for sale on Amazon at reasonable cost.

I do something similar, but use a glass (Pyrex) bowl with one of those tight-fitting covers with a few small holes poked in it (so air can escape). Which is great if you happen to have them already. Otherwise I vote for the paper bag method. (edited: or slow2day's method) (great minds post alike lol)

I had a friend that had a Microwave popcorn plant in his town, and a large number of workers came down with respiratory problems from the breathing in the "seasoning" used on the popcorn, the last I knew the plant had to shutdown.

I think it was caused by some ingredient they used in the artificial buttery taste they added.

Because of hypertension I don't add butter or salt to mine and the popcorn tastes fine au naturel.

Last edited:
I've tried the bag trick but an Ecolution popper is a better solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Ecolution-EKPRE-4215-Micro-Pop-Popper-Maker-Qt-Snack/dp/B019HR91W4?th=1
They work great. It just takes some experimentation with the popping time. On my 700 watt it takes 3 mins. and 12 secs. There usually are a few unpopped kernels but if I set it for longer, some will burn. I paid $13 for one last year and the price has gone way up. Right now there looks to be used ones for sale on Amazon at reasonable cost.
I would agree, except that the bag trick is a WHOLE lot cheaper. I tried one, but the butter overheated before the popcorn was done popping. Both ways are a lot healthier alternative.

Store-bought microwave popcorn is loaded with ingredients most of us shouldn't eat. So for those of you with a microwave, here's how I make America's favorite snack. I should start by saying I've never tried in a microwave with less than 1000 watts. I'm not saying it won't work, just that you'll have to do a little experimenting.
WARNING! If you zap it for too long a time, it can burn the bag. (I've never had that happen)
WARNING! When you first open the bag, steam comes out. Be overcautious; steam burns are really bad.
WARNING! Be careful of that staple. I know that some folks get their stomach stapled, but probably not this way!

Ok, so here's what I do. I take 100 grams of popcorn (about a third of a cup) and place it in a standard brown sandwich bag. They're cheap, and you can find them anywhere.
Then I carefully fold over the top 1/2" of the bag, and put a staple in the center. STOP HERE! Please do not message me about the danger of metal in a microwave. I have been doing this for about 6 years, in my van and before that at home. My current microwave is over 6 years old, and I have probably made 400 bags of popcorn in it. I have not noticed the staple getting hot. (Ok, you can read on now.)
I then put the bag horizontally in the microwave, which I set at 100% power and 3 minutes, and listen carefully for when the popping slows down.

You'll run into some variables, such as how much moisture is in the popcorn, the power of your microwave, how much uncooked popcorn to put in the bag, and how long to zap it.
With my current microwave, it's 100 grams of cheap popcorn, and the cook time is about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

When the popping slows down, I unfold the top of the bag and throw away the staple. If you are careful, you can re-use the bag a few tiimes. You'll probably find that the popcorn is pretty tightly packed, and be surprised at how much popcorn you able to make quickly and without any oil or salt. Now you can add all the toppings you like, and enjoy.
This method works great, I've done it a lot. I've never used a staple, never needed it. I don't care if you do, no arguments from me. I just never thought about it because I simply folded the bag over without trouble, every time.

What's the difference between that and a coffee maker?
The lid is vented and probably has the holes spaced to allow steam out and hold heat in at just the right rate. The lid also is a measure for the correct amount of popcorn.

I guess if you could get a glass globe from a coffee maker to work as long as it had no metal parts. Also, I believe the red plastic on the outside of the popper somehow modulates the microwaves to get good popping results. Not sure though.

Last edited:
I tried one, but the butter overheated before the popcorn was done popping. Both ways are a lot healthier alternative.
I have tried adding margarine but didn't use the top on the popper to melt it. Instead I put a dollop in a ceramic coffee cup and heated that for about 15 seconds. Then poured it over the popcorn that I've placed in a separate bowl. No need to dirty the glass popper.

I have been just using an old tuperware bowl for a long time.
I put a paper towel over the top and that arrests the trajectories of jumpy kernels.
After the first third of it has popped there is enough mass in place to stop the later poppers from escaping.
Works fine. No special tricks or pieces of metal needed.

I have been just using an old tuperware bowl for a long time.
I put a paper towel over the top and that arrests the trajectories of jumpy kernels.
After the first third of it has popped there is enough mass in place to stop the later poppers from escaping.
Works fine. No special tricks or pieces of metal needed.
I just tried this and it worked fine.

I followed that link. The paper bag wins hands down. It folds FLAT and can be used for many things. That thing takes the space of a coffee maker and only does one thing, both major violations of space usage.
I just put in the box it came in to protect it and put in the microwave. Otherwise that space is wasted.

Totally agree with @Geneeus about the junk in popcorn. Whole Foods Market sells a box of three microwavable bags of popcorn only—no salt or oil. Comes out to a little over a dollar a bag. I keep a few of these in my van and when I’m in the mood, ask to use the microwave oven in a grocery store, rest stop, travel center, or service station. Never been refused. https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/pr...ganic-microwave-popcorn-3-bag-9-oz-b074h6r3sk
Thank you for that! I didn't realize anyone sold microwave popcorn without the salt and oil. It prompted me to do a rough calculation of the paper bag trick. Using rounded numbers and Orville R's popcorn:
30 oz / 850 grams of kernels @ less than $5 = 8 bags of popcorn = $5 divided by 8 or about $.63 per bag
100 bags @ less than $12 = $.12 per bag
That adds up to about $.75 per bag, not counting the staple. Of course, I could cut it down by shopping for values, but sometimes it's hard to find what you need at bargain prices when boondocking.