How I developed some intuition about how much oxygen a Wave 3 consumes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Wave 3 heater comes with both a paper instruction manual, and also a printed label stuck to the unit itself. Both have guidance about ventilation requirements. Some of it is ambiguous depending on how you read it. Some of it is phrased in language like "It is good practice to..."

At first I was scared by the ambiguity. I thought -- well, I definitely don't want to die -- can they just tell me exactly what to do, with no ambiguity, so that I don't die?!?!

For me, part of my journey in learning to live with the ambiguity in the printed instructions, was to do some math and try to develop some intuition about how much oxygen they actually consume. This isn't about whether I need to follow their instructions or not. Of course I need to do my best to interpret and follow their instructions. But at least for me, it got easier once I had some rough, back-of-the-envelope idea of just how much oxygen it consumes, in terms I can relate to. Namely, humans. I can totally relate to what it's like to have too many people in a room, it gets stuffy, we need to open a window. It's not abstract for me, it's a situation I've been in before and have some level of intuition about.

Disclaimer: I'm not a chemist or a biologist, don't rely on anything in this post. This is purely a record of the calculations I did for my own comfort, in terms of building up some gut sense of how the heater behaves in my van.

Molecular mass of propane is 44.1 g/mol. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane -- One pound (454 grams) of propane is thus about 10 moles.

Propane is C3H8, and oxygen gas is O2, so one mole of propane needs 3 moles of oxygen gas (to make CO2) and 2 moles of oxygen gas (to make H2O). That means one pound of propane needs 50 moles of O2, total.

The Wave 3 burns a pound of propane in 8 hours (on high) or in 15 hours (on low). Source: https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/camco-olympian-wave-3-heater.34112/page-3#post-448120

So if you burn a pound of propane in 8 hours (Wave 3 on high) you are consuming 6.25 moles of O2 per hour. If you burn that same pound of propane in 15 hours (Wave 3 on low) you are consuming 3.33 moles of O2 per hour.

Molecular mass of O2 is 32 g/mol. Source: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-molar-mass-of-O2-Is-it-15-9994-or-double-that

That means the Wave 3 on high consumes 200 grams of O2 per hour, and the Wave 3 on low consumes 107 grams of O2 per hour.

Humans breathe 840 grams of oxygen per day. Source: https://www.cnet.com/science/breathe-deep-how-the-iss-keeps-astronauts-alive/ -- That is 35 grams per hour.

So my back-of-the-envelope numbers say: the Wave 3 on high consumes oxygen equivalent to 5.7 people. And on low, it consumes oxygen equivalent to 3.1 people.

Well that's interesting....I havent seen it calculated out that way before.

Thanks for doing all the background research.

When I drive a shuttle van with a load of 8 to 10 employees in it several hours to town I feel like I’m gonna die! Now I know why! Lol!!!

Keep in mind that air at higher elevations is less dense, therefore containing less O2. In Death Valley there is more O2 available.

Lots of spicy food in a desert with a water shortage tends to make social distancing easy on many levels, not too many parakeets out here to warn you about methane levels. So I guess you would need to know how much oxygen is in the air and how much air flow you must have. One of the best things about using a Buddy Heater first in my air tight camper was it was very sensitive and would shut down when oxygen got low and also a sensitive CO alarm which allowed me to experiment with adding vents and fans till I was ready to allow myself to be monitored over a few hours inside to see if I had any side affects. I actually ended up using quite a bit more ventilation than the manufacturer recommended as even without heat it was so air tight staying in it extended periods was hazardous without ventilation. The longer I do this the more I’m liking vented or electric heat especially when it comes to the additional problem of condensation.

During the last oil boom in ND I lived in my 28' 5th wheel for over 2 years with winters of -20 F. During that time I used an unvented 3 burner infrared plaque heater that ran 24 hrs a day and I slept with a shower curtain over my bed so the condensation from the ceiling didn't drip on my blankets. How foolish of me to breath all the fumes in that confined space

I think the Wave heater has a low oxygen shut off. Crack the window when running and get good bedding so you can turn it off when you sleep. Why spend $4 a night when you don't need to? $120 a month could go for other things.

^^^COULD BE A DEADLY MISTAKE!!! WAVE 3 DOES NOT HAVE A LOW OXYGEN SHUTOFF !!! This is the reason it is not sold in Canada and why I bought it as I had problems with the Buddy Heater at high altitudes.