Why a Prius Dweller in the Van Forum? (long)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
Why is a Prius Dweller in this Van Forum? Well, because I'm seriously considering a van.

If you would, please provide feedback on my decision-making processes -- am I forgetting something, is there another alternative that I've missed, if you were in the same situation and had my passions, what would you do?

Here's the situation (long):

Finances: I've been saving for a replacement vehicle since 2010. I knew my Prius wouldn't last forever. I'm frugal and a pretty good saver. I now have enough for a late-model used vehicle, including any necessary mods (insulation, solar, simple built-in furniture, etc.).

Current vehicle: I really like living out of my Prius. I love the gas mileage. I enjoy having windows all around, making it feel much bigger inside. It's been super dependable. It efficiently powers electronics, as well as the AC when sleeping in hot, humid climates (a generator on wheels). It's stealthy for overnighting in town. At almost 14 years old and 230K miles, small stuff (non-critical electronics) are starting to go out on it. I shouldn't complain, it's cost me less that $1K in repairs (beyond regular maintenance) since I bought it new in '03. But, I'm frustrated that its lower ground clearance keeps me from going down some back roads. Also, I'd like to have room in my vehicle for everything I own (e.g., 12v refrigerator, guitar, kayaking gear, camp kitchen, Dutch ovens, etc.).

What doesn't fit in the Prius: I've downsized my stuff to about 25 square feet in my Ex-Husband's garage. I could probably downsize more, to half of that amount. Except for a very small box of mementos, everything else fits directly into my vandwelling lifestyle. Over the last 7+ years, I've been going to garage sales, thrift stores, eBay, and Craigslist to cheaply accumulate as many items as possible for when I moved into a larger vehicle.

What's changed: My Ex is moving out of the house/garage in June. So, I've got to find another home for all of this carefully sourced stuff. In that locale, a 5'x5' storage unit goes for $80 per month. My frugal heart sinks when I consider that money going down the drain every month.

My current passions: I love traveling the back roads, putting on the miles, having the freedom to pick up and go at a whim. For example, I plan to spend the next couple of summers exploring the Canadian National Parks ... and that's a huge country with lots of kilometers in all 4 directions. If my current Prius died today, I'd want to get another one tomorrow. It's perfect for how I want to do road travel. Yet, at the same time, I also truly enjoy camping for extended periods of time with friends, being a snowbird. For taking to the roads, the Prius is perfect. For being a snowbird and having a dog, a van is perfect. I miss the companionship of a dog.

The revelation: Up until yesterday, I was thinking it was either a van or a Prius. All of the sudden it hit me that it could be both. I could get a van (with windows all around) with a car dolly to tow a Prius. My stuff in my Ex's garage would easily fit in a van; no monthly storage fees. I could live out of the Prius while I did the mods to the van, there'd be no hurry. I could park the van at friends or family, or put it in cheap storage during my Prius road trips. Or, conversely, I could park/store the Prius while I was being a snowbird. With it's higher clearance, the van could go places where no Prius dared. And, although I don't know for sure, I suspect I will settle into being more of a snowbird (with a dog) as the years pass.

What are the cons?: Registration, insurance and maintenance on 3 vehicles (Prius, van, dolly), instead of one. I figure the monthly insurance and maintenance on a van and dolly would be close to $80 per month. The hassle of planning and logistics of where and when to park/stow one or the other. I don't especially enjoy towing. I wouldn't go down a back road if I were towing and possibly had to back up. If I purchased a van, did the mods, then my Prius died, I'd have to save more before I could buy another Prius.

More pros: By traveling only part-time in my current Prius, it will hopefully last longer. The same could be said for a van. Although it's a financial wash -- $80/mo for storage vs. $80/mo for van/dolly's insurance/maintenance -- at least I'd have gained something for that $80/mo if I got a van and dolly.

Have I considered an RV?: Yes. I had one when married, a 20' Class C. I didn't enjoy it. It was too big, with too many unnecessary systems to maintain.

If you've actually read to this point -- thank you, thank you, thank you.

What do you think? What am I missing? Is a van with a Prius toad a good alternative to storing my stuff, while sometimes being a snowbird and other times a road warrior?

Suanne ... in a time of many personal changes

Letting go is hard, isn't it? Before the Prius declines to the point where it has to be put in an assisted living facility, go ahead and move to the van and sell the Prius. Put the $80/mo toward future Prius. When you get enough saved up, see if you miss it enough to actually get another one.

Being outside looking in, that's what I'd do.

I'm having a similar dilemma over what to do with my beloved motorcycle that I've had for 10 years. I know if I keep it going into the vandwelling life, its going to be as much of a PITA to accomodate as it is a joy to have, but its just hard to put her down after all the memories... It was the ultimate bike for me that I was going to keep for the rest of my life :( But answering your post makes me realize what I have to do... sob.... I'll be in my room...

My take on two vehicles is that you end up not saving any money with the one that gets better gas mileage because any savings goes into owning two vehicles. Then take the hassle of having to store one when you don't want the other, further reduction in gas mileage when towing and you're even further behind the 8 ball.

You seem to live and enjoy a simple life, owning and moving two vehicles will certainly add complications to that easy lifestyle you're living.

I'd weigh the pros and cons of each and make a decision on one of them. Sounds like the van will add some things you are missing, higher ground clearance to get more places, carrying a little bit more of your stuff and being able to get a dog. So i'd go that route, but you've lived in and enjoyed traveling in a prius so i'd say you have a tough call. But the fact your were saving for a van for sometime, makes me think you subconsciously know you already want the van.

I know very little about them but how about a hybrid SUV or van: more space, more ground clearance and the battery/gas generator integration you are used to.

-- Spiff

You mentioned you can park your new van at your friends or family's place . . . why not buy a small 6x8 or 6x10 cargo trailer for now and store all your stuff in it and park it at your friends or family's place and continue to travel in the Prius. When the Prius finally driven to the ground and have traveled all the places a Prius could, by that time you can change it up to a van and start traveling to places your old Prius couldn't.

I suggest a cargo trailer because its easy to move. You can even offer to your friends or family little $ for the favor (not $80 tho off course lol).

In the mean time continue to save and when finally that van purchase is up, you will be very well prepared financially and thus have more options when it comes to your van and the work you plan to put in.

Pruis toad you would be limited too; back roads. I agree with LMTLMT of buying a cargo trailer & park it.

a japanese minivan or suv type thing,4 cylinder=good mpg,easy to drive and way more room then a prius

I would ditch the dolly idea altogether since they are impossible to reverse, but I would also discourage you from taking on two vehicles.  GM made all-wheel-drive full-size vans up until 2014, and if you found one with the smaller V6 ...the MPG's would still suck :p  ...but it wouldn't be as bad, and you would have plenty of room for your stuff.  Besides that, you could get to camping spots that you could only dream of in a Prius, and it would blend in with every other van on the road.  Be careful though, since the AWD models were sold most often in snowy states where salt tends to eat away at vehicles pretty quick.  Best of luck & keep us posted, Cotton

Have you considered an AWD Honda Element. You can even get a pop-top hard top tent to go on top. Hard roof for solar and or storage box. Able to have a tow hitch. I've even seen people remove or swivel the passenger seat.

My other thought would be a smaller van/larger minivan. If you can find in decent shape the Chevy Astros were THE BOMB! Minivan built on a pick up chassis basicly. I ALMOST bought one a few years ago (conversion van with burgandy plush EVERYTHING ... bleh) and I regret not buying it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say I doubt you would be happy going from Prius to Van + dolly + car.

Now if you could move the batteries, geni, AC etc from the prius to the van and use it for electrical and not propulsion THAT would be a hack worth writing about!

Maintaining and paying for one vehicle is enough, two is too much. A van will open up a lot of overnight location possibilities that might have been more difficult in a sedan. A private, comfortable toilet, higher ground clearance, the ability to change clothes easily and more storage room are all advantages of a van. The van will allow you to more comfortably urban stealth camp as well as go just a bit further down that rough gravel road to that great boondocking location.

I second (or third) the small cargo trailer idea.

Storage will be cheaper and if you decide to go the van route in the future, you'll still have a storage area and you could haul it with you if you want to.

Whatever you do, don't get rid of the Prius until AFTER you've done the Canadian National Parks trip(s). Most of your driving will be very civilized... :)

My total cost of gas with the Savana this spring - 3,400 miles around southern AZ to CA, to Victorville CA to pick up Route 66 and follow it to the suburbs of Chicago and then east to the MI/Ontario border - just under $500.00 US. The highest gas bill was in MI where I paid $2.49 a gallon.

My cost to fill up the van yesterday at a *good* gas price - a whopping $92.87 cdn at $1.049 Cdn a LITRE (that's $4.20 Cdn for each US gallon). Even California wasn't THAT expensive. Yes, I'm still in sticker shock.

The budget for me to get this van and the cargo trailer across Canada to British Columbia is $1,500. and I hope it's enough. Since it's probably a once in a lifetime trip I want to do some sidetrips along the way.

I'll see you somewhere in the prairies this summer Suanne.

I'm with most everyone else on this Susanne. When you started in the Prius you still had a home base to store stuff. If you're going to be full time without a home base, in the long run I think you need a minivan at the very least. Yes, a full size van, even one of the Chevys that can get close to 20 mpg will suck compared to your Prius, but what you spend in fuel you'll more than save by not renting storage, and not paying for 2 vehicles and a dolly. Right now I'm down to just my Dually, my cargo trailer camper, and my motorcycle. I would really like to have another older regular cab pickup with a topper to travel in, so I don't have to tow the trailer, and can get into tighter places than the dually can. But it sure is nice not having to worry about caring for another vehicle and the expense of it. Plus, after all your travels in the Prius, a van will seem like a mansion!

CottonTexas said:
...GM made all-wheel-drive full-size vans up until 2014, and if you found one with the smaller V6 ...the MPG's would still suck...besides that, you could get to camping spots that you could only dream of in a Prius, and it would blend in with every other van on the road...
My wife and i have had a 2010 GM AWD van that we have converted (link to build thread if interested). It doubles as her daily driver and she LOVES it!
Yes millage "sucks" (14 city and 16/17 highway)...BUT...it is a rolling condo and we could live out of it for extended periods if we desired.
We've had zero issues with it since purchasing new and looks better than the day we drove it off the lot...well, more "Cool" anyway :)

CmTp2FVUMAEO45j.jpg

Suanne said:
It efficiently powers electronics, as well as the AC when sleeping in hot, humid climates (a generator on wheels). 

Don't underestimate how awesome this feature is.  To get what you had with the Prius you're going to have to buy a generator, a massive battery bank, charger, inverter, and hours and hours of research and labor to make the whole system work.  Even then it could fail, look how massive the batteries subforum is on here.  Not to mention the weight of all that stuff.  

I ended up getting a hybrid SUV, for this very reason.   Thank you for the PM earlier by the way :)

I LOVE having my van and my little Vibe. Although I don't tow the Vibe it's great to have the car when I stay on the east coast for extended periods.

They're both older vehicles (97 and 05) so insurance, registration, etc. isn't much. I don't have to pay to store eitherehicle. This winter I put a solar trickle charge on the van's battery and that kept it topped off. It started every time.

I do think about towing the Vibe but physically I don't think I can deal.

A full size Van and a Prius are nothing alike. I'd be real sure that you want a big Van before you commit fully to one.

I have a full size Dodge Van
I have a Prius
Each has their own unique qualities, but I'd NEVER live in a Prius either.

As you say, the Prius is not an off pavement voyager but that 55 mpg is lovely!
I also have an F150, yet another very different breed. But 11 mpg sucks big time!

Dave

I want to thank you all for the feedback.  I am a bit surprised that so many of you think that having two vehicles is a bad idea.  It definitely makes me step back and reconsider.   Although I'm not one to go with the crowd for the crowd's sake, I'm also not foolish enough to do something contrary when so many have expressed a different perspective ... Especially when I asked for feedback.  So, thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

PS, myway_1, I'm full time.

I suppose you have considered and rejected getting a hybrid SUV?

Perhaps you could live in a van in Ehrenburg during the winter, then park the van at a nearby facility and travel in your Prius during the summer. That way you wouldn't be towing the Prius and wouldn't need a tow dolly. Downside to that is: traveling is when you would want the ground clearance.

Or you could live in a travel trailer or converted cargo trailer in Ehrenburg during the winter and get a friend to pull it to a facility to store it during the summer.