24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just drove to Page Arizona yesterday and back to Bullfrog Utah today, 560 mile round trip just to sign some documents. Gonna have to rethink Star Link! Lol!!!

N Ben ,, I know what you mean about therapy I am signed up for about six more weeks of Aqua therapy. The pool is pretty nice it’s not very big and I can walk into it with my walker and they take my walker away and lower the bottom of it and it becomes a pool. Then the floor actually acts like a treadmill. Pretty neat technology. They told me that even though the exercises go well in the water that they will wear me out as if I we’re doing the exercises on land. I thought that can’t be true, but it absolutely is I am aching and finding it hard to move around right now. I’m hoping this therapy will do me well and I’ll be strong enough to make that trip south. If I don’t I will have to find some building “to hide in“ for the winter. Get well.

Naturelover, next you will be ready to walk on the water. That ability would really impress people 😜

Wind started gusting last night a little before midnight, strong enough to wake up this very sound sleep. That was 9 hours earlier than predicted. So I got up and took down my shade cloth and went back to sleep without the flapping noises.

This being mid afternoon it is pretty strong gust now maybe 45 mph. But I am close to being parked nose into the wind. Too strong of gust to put up my pop up roof section.

The wind is not particularly discouraging the weekend OHV out with their toys folks. They are busy kicking up dust and making noise.

I stopped in at the regional BLM office in Lake Havasu City yesterday. Very pleasant experience. The ranger loaded the right area maps into the Avenza app on my phone and I made some extra notes about the milepost markers that had lead to dispersed camping on roads my vehicle can handle. He even gave me his business card and said if I needed any help with the app give him a call and he will talk me through it. For those who want them they do sell high quality, in full colors, paper maps, section by section of the BLM areas for $5.00 each.

One of my women friends has arrived at my current location. Easy walk for me to her site but not too close. She has more friends coming in soon so there will be campfires and potlucks next week.

Another friend I made at this camping area last spring is also around. He plays guitar and sings at several local venues. One of them is a Mexican restaurant, he is in a cabana out on the patio. One evening soon when he is playing music I will go there. Not a bar scene, not too late at night and outdoors so low risk of Covid cooties. Plus I love trying Mexican food from family owned restaurants. Should be a fun evening, I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
It is an Energizer bunny wind storm, it just keeps on going and going.

Throwing this question in the chit chat area. Has anyone ever converted a reefer trailer? Is it even possible?
Yes I have seen it done somewhere on a youtube channel about 4 or 5 years ago. But not fuel efficient for AC to run those cooling compressors. All it is good for in the practical sense is some extra thick insulation. Which you can add to most any cargo trailer yourself and then cool with a mini split or window AC. You do not need food safe temperatures of lower than 40 degrees from a cooling unit. A lot of the time, except in summer in areas with triple digits, you can make do most months of the spring, summer and fall with a good roof fan unit if you have decent insulation.

Last edited:
Humidity and CO2 build up.

Reefer trailers are not appropriate for human comfort or breathing.

Throwing this question in the chit chat area. Has anyone ever converted a reefer trailer? Is it even possible?

Do you mean as a stationary tiny house or a mobile dwelling you would pull behind a truck?

They tend to have good insulation and are built well, but by the time one is affordable in the used market, it has probably seen its better days. There may be cracks in the frame, rust, sheet metal missing, leaking roof, or mold in the insulation...or any number of problems after a few million miles of use. If used for a mobile dwelling, you will need to service, and possibly replace, the running gear (springs, axles, bearings, fasteners, air brakes, etc) and check and repair/replace all the lights as needed.

Of course you will NOT want the refrigeration unit, those things are noisy as hell and expensive to run and maintain. But once it's removed, that will allow you to install a normal window A/C unit in the opening.

And you would need to install windows and doors, vents, etc to make it habitable, assuming you found one that is otherwise safe to occupy. And it will need a new floor and/or carpet over the existing 'wet floor'.

Last edited:
Had some outside cooling today! The temperatures this week in much of Arizona is 10 degrees cooler than normal for this time of the year. I will enjoy it while it lasts!

I did walk over and say hello to two women who are camped nearby but not too close. Not in a extroverted mood swing cycle at present but felt it was past time to at least say a minimal hello to the next door neighbors. One of them has a 1971 vintage metal travel trailer and I have a 1971 fiberglass trailer. So a good icebreaker conversation between strangers. Just a howdy neighbor visit.

The windstorm made the distant views of the hills to the south very hazy. My countertops all had a thin coating of dust as well but I had my rear door open a lot yesterday and today And the weekend OHVs we’re kicking up a lot of dust driving too fast through this area. But nowhere near as bad as they do in Quartzite. This large area is well graveled on a rocky base layer I can barely get stakes into. I believe that at one time it was used to stockpile gravel and road building machines for the highway building crews. No getting stuck in sand or mud at this location. Beautiful views of hills and rock formations close and distant but not exactly an immediate area beautiful camp site. No privacy as such between RVs. But it still makes a convenient stop over for a couple of weeks. 3D8C0CD1-E786-44D3-94EB-8E6A0B41714A.jpeg

Windy ( gusts to 45 MPH ), rainy and 50’s today, headed to freezing tonight. We were 20 or 30 degrees warmer just a couple of days ago. Montrose Colorado got snow as well as the Henry Mountains and Navajo Mountain here in Southern Utah. Early this year, soon be time to head south!

I'm heading south this coming Saturday. I'm a week late as it is cold here at 5,000' and warm where I'm headed.

...converted a reefer trailer?...
Our latest conversion is a 40' reefer trailer.
First, we:
* removed the wet molding stinking insulation, then
* chopped off the swinging doors, then
* lowered the roof by 18", then
* in place of the doors, I fabricated a steel wall and a steel door, then
* I fabricated the porch -- a fold-up deck and a fold-down porch roof.
For light and ventilation, we added our usual 3010 (three feet wide by a foot tall) dual-pane sliders designed for a stand-still house.
We are into it probably a couple hundred hours.
The thing is exactly the way I want it...
... and its value is barely scrap at the smelters.
I hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_20220402_124154.jpg
    IMG_20220402_124154.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0