24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, I too found driving 1500 miles turns your vehicle into a stuff shuffler. I thought I was pretty well set. Glad I tied the big stuf down good!
So you are saying it was a literal “shake down” trip? You are the new king of Rocking and Rolling.

With a small rig it is all gets stuffed in so tight it can’t shift.

Last edited:
Ha!! I’m kinda tore up. I need to do therapy. I want to see daughter and grandkids in Utah. Well, it’s friggin cold there. The amount of propane I’d burn trying to keep everything thawed... I’d dump my water and all, but it’s basically inside. Much more tolerable here in Washington. But driving back and forth across the state to warmer climates and back would cost even more. So I think I’ll go there for a couple weeks and see what happens. Contacting therapist today... I’m hoping this works out. But two weeks there and I’ll be ready to move south and relax. Left my wheeler at younger daughters in Salt Lake City. Mainly to be able to use the nicer bed. But if I’m in the colder climate, I think I’ll close up the back and mainly heat the front and sleep on the dinette bed. Hand is healing slowly. But three weeks in I’m probably doing ok.
Replacing the dometic rv fridge with a Ever chill compressor fridge while at sons in Washington. I can use my son and grandson to do the two handed tasks. I’ll save other things to do for when I’m off restrictions.
Won’t be long...

Ha!! I’m kinda tore up. I need to do therapy. I want to see daughter and grandkids in Utah. Well, it’s friggin cold there. The amount of propane I’d burn trying to keep everything thawed... I’d dump my water and all, but it’s basically inside. Much more tolerable here in Washington. But driving back and forth across the state to warmer climates and back would cost even more.
Ben, Covid made online,virtual, physical therapy a lot easier to obtain. You really do not have to stay up north in the cold just to have a regular physical therapist for follow up sessions. You might need to purchase a few pieces of equipment including a tabletop tripod for your phone.
Someone from your state of residence who is on an approved list with your insurance should work for less paperwork hassle on claim approvals. Your original therapiy clinic might even be able to work that way.

Remember there are willing hands down South willing to help out with your trailer modification tasks including mine! But glad to hear a heavy fridge going through small passageways has already been man handled by your family, younger generations, of strong men. I removed one in my first RV, that was one too many

Last edited:
Thinking I will check out the small town of Boise, AZ on my way south towards Quartzsite. They have a post office of some type there, nearby dispersed BLM camping and a free city dump. Not sure how good of a Verizon signal so that will be a factor to verify.

I am going into Lake Havasu City today on errands. My tablet needs a power port repair and there are repair services here for that. Plus a package to ship, a few groceries to buy.

This last few weeks I have been uninspired for working on my build but will get to building a door for my solar controller cabinet while I am camped here. I want to get it done while in this area as there is poplar wood at Home Depot or Lowes should I need an extra, short length of it. All my exposed interior wood pieces are poplar and there is no source for that wood species in Quartzsite, Parker or Blythe.

Maybe Pirate Camp will arrive before I leave Lake Havasu as I am unlikely to move for another 10 days.

How’s Ravella doing??? I got a bit of maple syrup... we’ve given more away then I thought. But we got a few bottles.
Also have a smaller Blackstone grill. And some Goodland bacon for those that eat that kind of stuff.
Hope the jorb is going good...

No luck with getting my tablet repaired. I can replace it with a new out of box same model from eBay cheaper than fixing. However I will likely try to repair it myself one of these days when I feel like unloading stuff in my car for unburying the box containing the tools I need. There is a YouTube video on it which may or may not work as the fix for my issue. Nowadays much depends on if my damaged, closeup, detail vision is up to being able to see the bits and pieces clearly enough.

Last edited:
Been thinking again as usual, Just a little update. Getting close to time for leaving.
I got the new wires for the back end of my pickup installed and all works fine, even backup lights and license plate lights work now. Still one turn signal to get working on the trailer.
Solar is working fine although I find that I am going to have to learn to conserve. Cloudy days are not conducive to extravert electrical use.
Price of fuel has gone up (diesel) to over $5 a gallon, That will be a point of conservation, No fast, long travels. Oh well I wasn't in a hurry anyway.
I gained another pound this month, Pants still won't stay up without a hitch every now and then.
Still haven't figured out how I'm going to shower as often as I'd like and using the clippers to keep my beard under control with out a mirror has proven to be difficult, Can't do the clipping inside due to the mess it makes and Each time I run the clippers, some little bits of hair get down my neck and make me itch and the ear hair... really have to get a handle on that . Eye brows are hanging down. That's another point of contention. Tried to use scissors but can't see what I cutting without my glasses and can't get to them without glasses on.. Will problems never end.
I'm boxing stuff up and tossing things away that I'll never use, Like lip gloss and panty hose and all those shoes, too small for me anyway. Cotton things I can use for checking oil and polishing things.
It's getting a little chilly at night and had rain yesterday.
Think I'll go out and smoke a cigar. It's well after midnight.
Night all

You are a grown man and if you can drive around living a nomadic life then you are surly capable of driving to a barbershop to get all that grooming stuff done. You do not have do any of it yourself if you don’t want to.

Last edited:
MIRROR................I use the exterior mirrors on the rig .........adjust and Clip......re-adjust
But your not the norm... haha! Funny how sometimes the most basic things become issues. I like both yours and Maki’s responses. Not belittling, but two prospectives on solutions.
Also like the fact this young man can feel he can share concerns and thoughts here.
I hope (if I do happen to reach his age) I will be as adventurous. For you sir I have to admire your will to keep moving forward. Sorry for your loss... your desire to press onward is admirable.
Wind is the story up here in the desert of Washington. At least kinda mild. Couple more weeks of grandpa time. (And rehab/therapy).... won’t be 100% when I got down there. But should improve faster now... it says here in fine print. Haha.!
Grateful for every new day... and looking forward to seeing everyone soon. Arrr!

Barbers are not easy to find on the road. I suppose that around military bases and places (for example Pahrump) where veterans retire, it may be easier to find a barber.

Hair stylists are not as good hair cutters as a barber. I dated a woman who worked in a hair salon, her mother's, and she told me about the trick of styling hair so it looks good for short time, then needs to be touched up, great for repeat business. That has been my experience with hair stylists.

I gave up on haircuts after my 2019 dispersed tour, and finding no barbers along the way. Now I shave my scalp when I shave my face. A plus is no shampoo and conditioner or comb or brush is needed. But no insulation on top. Have to wear cover in the sun and whenever it is too cool.

^^False news^^?? My Google mapping app turned up 5 actual barber shops located in the town of Pahrump that are not beauty salons but instead are actual barber shops. Not all small businesses are located on the main streets.

Last edited:
Day before yesterday saw two women camped nearby giving haircuts to each other.

But I can’t be trusted with a pair of scissors or a razor when it comes to beauty grooming so my male and females friends are out of luck.

There is a nomadic barbershop that sets up in Quartzsite at the intersection of Main Street and hwy 95.

Very windy in Lake Havasu City area today. A localized wind event known as lake effect wind.

^^^It must be blowing all the way up the river as it been really windy all night and most of this morning. In the 50’s so far and going down to 31degrees tonight here in Bullfrog Utah. Coating of snow in the surrounding mountains. Time to consider southern routes if you are coming from the east, snow is early this year!