24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
naturelover
Would you please move to the side of the campfire where the smoke is blowing into your face?
Of course by sitting upwind of the fire you may quite literally wind up in the hot seat...

My definition of a true camper is someone who sits around the fire ring, burns a lot of wood, eats a lot of beans, laughs loudly, and farts proudly. That’s not in my Boy Scout manual just something I came up with on my own years ago.

note to Frood. If you sit too close to the fire you may get an ”ass burn” if you do take a Tylenol.

some people think I’m a pain in the neck, others have a lower opinion of me.

Last edited:
Naturelover it sounds like the Movie Blazing Saddles has left an indelible impression of what campers should be like inside your mind and body.

Cold here this morning. Got up and lit the fire and got back under the covers. My weather app says it is 38 but my trailer interior is still a bit cold soaked from the nighttime low. When my trailer warms up I will get up and put the kettle on to make some coffee. It will be a lovely day, sunny with the afternoon prediction for a high temp in the mid 70s. Hopefully I will feel like being a tourist after the coffee kicks in. That would be a nice thing to do.

Last edited:
Maki2; how did you know that blazing saddles was my favorite movie. I love anything Mel Brooks did. The studio execs told him that he had to cut out that campfire scene before he released the movie. Of course he ignored them and now it’s so famous that the movie wouldn’t be right without it. That movie could not be made today in this politically correct environment, and that has nothing to do with the farting scene. Political correctness is ruining our country.

I can’t help it, I came from a family where fart jokes we’re wonderful family entertainment. Literally my grandmother spent her life collecting and sharing fart jokes. Anybody new who met her was not greeted with a handshake. You guessed it it was “pull my finger“, What precious memories of my grandma, she once walked into a rather swanky formal event sniffed the air and said “somebody shit or the whole gang farted”.

so as you can see I get it naturally.

Mel Brooks is still alive and still working at the age of 96! One of the projects he is currently working on is a cartoon which was influenced by Blazing Saddles. A team approached him with the concept and asked if he would participate. The very brief description of the main scenario is a dog hired as a samurai guard for a village of cats. Who knows, perhaps the samurai dog suffers from frequent indigestion issues?

Of course I do not actually keep up with what Mel Brooks is doing. But other people on the internet do such as Hollywood reporters. I was just curious to see if he was still alive and he is and is still cracking jokes and no doubt full of hot air.

Last edited:
You guys have way too much free time on your hands! Lol!!!
How dare you demote it to being “free time”…this is serious and vital business. It is an essential mental therapy session for Naturelover who is suffering from vanlife withdrawal syndrome. If laughter is the best medicine then fart jokes are on the list of therapeutics.

Someone post a joke or silly story to help Naturelover’s therapy progress! You too can make a difference in an Old Farts happiness by giving him an excuse to post more jokes!

Last edited:
Rainy day and a chilly one too. So limited solar. But for now my house battery is at 100% so I fired up my diesel heater and am having a lovely warm afternoon in my little travel trailer. So far, despite the clouds, and the heater running, the battery is staying pretty much full and even gaining a little bit as my heater is not a big power consumer. The heater is removing excess moisture from the trailer interior instead of creating it which is helping as I just put water on for hot tea and that is enough to fog up the window I have left uncovered for some daylight.

Not traveling anywhere today other than maybe to the little store in the nearby town. No pending appointments other than a loose one for camping with friends when I get to Kingman AZ. I told them what road to look on for a campsite so hopefully they find a nice one by the time I get there.

Tough decision to make now…audio or Ebook book or streaming video for this rainy afternoon? That might get determined by the cellular signal speed being too slow for streaming with other folks in the area staying indoors.

Last edited:
Woke up to sunshine but it’s cold out there. A couple of hours of camp chores to do when it warms up. Then I will most likely hitch up and move west to warmer days and nights. The temperatures at Kingman and Lake Havasu City are getting bearable for someone without air conditioning.

Wish I was feeling more anticipation excitement about changing locations but it just isn’t there this time. Most likely it is just liking this area so much that I actually feel pretty sad about leaving it.

It is easy to get in a habit of going to the same places and doing the same things so if you want a little excitement change locations a little or search out new events in the area you haven’t been to just to try something a little different!

So turns out there's such a thing as mobile x-ray, for routine not just emergencies. New to me! And Medicare covered it, while they didn't cover the bricks-and-mortar facility that was my only other option. Go figure.

It's about the size of a shopping cart or a very large vaccuum cleaner, and it can work anywhere there's an electric source. The x-ray guy said he enjoys it a lot more than working in a hospital.

Seems like it would be a fun job. But you'd have to be able to shlep that thing up stairs ... and cope with dogs.

Events and excitement? Not my thing at this stage of life. I did plenty of it when I was younger. I am not bored. I just love camping next to the Grand Canyon National Park so did not want to leave. But the nights we’re getting cold and that makes my wear and tear arthritis flair up.

Got to Kingman just after sunset. Grabbed a spot at the Loves. Noisy of course but I am a pretty sound sleeper. The advantage of this stop is it is at the exit that leads to the road with a lot of dispersed BLM. But this morning no empty spots were found. So I checked the weather report and Lake Havasu City temperatures have quit going into the 90s according to the 20 day forecast.

So now I am camped in the hills just north of town. It is warm but the humidity is low and a nice breeze is blowing. I will deploy some shade cloth to give me more shade as there are no trees here. I made a couple of friends at this location when I stopped for a few weeks last spring. As soon as I pulled in one of them walked over to say hello. I have a nice view of the hills on all sides. Traffic noise from the highway but I can deal with that and it is not that noisy at night.

My Verizon tablet needs a power port repair and there is a repair service in town. Also a Home Depot is here and I need to order some cabinet pulls to match what I have. Plus of course Walmart for groceries. But my first visit to town was to Walgreens for the latest Covid booster and yearly flu vaccine.

This site has gravel ground cover so not very dusty. While here I hope to get around to making a cabinet door for my solar controller, well vented with the display easy to see and access. Also putting varnish on some wood trim pieces I put up over the last couple of years.

Plus of course chilling and some visits to the lake and maybe an evening out to hear my campsite friend sing and play guitar at one of the venues he does sets at. That is how he has always made his living. He still looks forward to performing. So nice to still love the work you have spent your whole life doing.

Last edited:
Nctryben, good news about being able to move South for the therapy. Hopefully the night time lows temperature will not be in the teens!

A month will be a good shakedown period. By the time you get to Quartzsite you should know what projects need doing. Of course you will find willing hands to help with what your healing hand is not ready to tackle on its own.

Time to get up and get the day started. Meaning make hot coffee and a breakfast burrito before it gets hot outside.

My afternoon, hottest time of the day, plan is to go to my, all time favorite laundromat, which is right here in Lake Havasu City. It is a very nice facility, air conditioned, lots of places to sit.! The restroom is not locked up so no attendant to hunt up or key to fetch. It also has a great hillside view of the lake. Most times I just dump clothes in and go run other quick errands using a timer to get me back in time to switch the clothes or fold them. But today I will just hang out enjoying the air conditioning and the view in a comfortable chair with a cold beverage in hand while listening to an audio book.

That will be followed by a short drive to the lakeside for a proverbial casual walk along the beach. Which reminds me I should put my wide brimmed sun hat in the car.

Last edited:
The Bell and I are camped at Vermillion Cliffs near the north rim. Nights have been mid 50’s and days are mid 70’s. I can live with this, doing a major clean and sort of the trailer before we head off again,