24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll drink my coffee, water, milk, beer and whiskey (no sodas unless a root beer float). They keep waffling about the effects of coffee but my pot a day for the last 40 years hasn't done me in yet. Forgot, I do drink lemonade too. I don't drink much alcohol either but I do enjoy it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with coffee. My problem is that I put in a lot of additives. I don't even like coffee without them.

So far no problem with black tea though I also drink green tea.

Sugar is my additive of choice (I'm not sweet enough). I like to add Baily's too if available. These haven't hurt me over the years either.

travelaround said:
So far no problem with black tea though I also drink green tea.
Those stupid studies go back and forth. I don’t like coffee anymore but I drink a strong cup in the morning to give me energy. I’ve noticed a huge amount of black tea helps with my inflammation but since I put a lot of sugar in coffee and tea I can’t drink too many cups. Personally I think anything in moderation is ok. I don’t like the taste of green tea. Wish I did.
I don't think there's anything wrong with coffee. My problem is that I put in a lot of additives. I don't even like coffee without them.

travelaround said:

Coffee with nothing in it is like eating unsweetened baking cocoa. Blah, bitter, nasty,....add a certain amount of sugar or sweetener, BING! magic, its suddenly actually good.

Ive likened black coffee to used motor oil, or a full ashtray that sat out in the rain. I have no idea how anyone can stand to drink it black. Im certain theres some profound biological/chemical differences in how various people perceive tastes. That people will eat dark chocolate is another example. Gads. A friend gave me a bit of dark chocolate he thought was awesome (he also drinks black coffee). I started chewing the chocolate, then spit it out in disgust. Nasty bitter stuff. He was aghast.

Obviously everyone has different tastes and preferences. Even if you say can't do this and can't do that, there is still always a middle ground to explore. Like less sugar and less cream (cream, eeewww, gakk, choke!!!).

Recent research findings from topnotch scientific institutions indicate coffee has benefits like antioxidants, but should be used in moderation. Well no surprise there. I drink 2 cups black for breakfast, along with my oatmeal. Then, green tea for lunch, and juice or milk after that.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-scoop-on-the-health-benefits-of-coffee-2017092512429

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...hy-the-right-amount-of-coffee-is-good-for-you

Qxxx said:
Like less sugar and less cream (cream, eeewww, gakk, choke!!!).

Haven't tried Bailey's Irish Cream I assume.  Do you like whole milk or the 1/2% stuff?

Edit to add: Peaches with cream, YUM.

Sorry Brian, skim milk here. The thing to do with peaches is put them in a bowl and slather with yogurt, not cream. Yogurt, yumm, cream, eeewww.

I was thinking lactose intolerance. We used to get the milk and cream straight from the dairy farmer.

Qxxx said:
Sorry Brian, skim milk here. The thing to do with peaches is put them in a bowl and slather with yogurt, not cream. Yogurt, yumm, cream, eeewww.

Sliced peaches.. a spoon of sugar and plenty of heavy creme. After the peaches are gone you get to tip the bowl and enjoy drinking the left over sweetened creme.. like with cereal..

Fresh Peaches will be hitting the market soon!

B and C said:
I like whole milk, skim tastes like water to me.
And black coffee tastes like motor oil. Besides that, I use catholes, so whatchagonnado. (for one, I sure wouldn't live in Texas, lol ... jk).

Yep, I don't like Texas in the summer either. Can't believe I have lived over sixty years here. Other than the heat, it is a great place to live.

B and C said:
Then it's peach cobbler time again too!
Just order up the peach pie, and I'll have mine with cream. Ice cream, whip cream, or just some whole cow poured over it.
-crofter

Peach pie works too but I prefer the cobbler if I have a choice. Always ice cream.

Root beer float anyone? Vanilla is the best as you can do so much with it. I try to keep at least six 1/2 gallons here, 3 vanilla and 3 buttered pecan. My two favorites. I rotate the stock of course. I am limited when I travel by my small freezer and access to Blue Bell ice cream. Blue Bell is one of the few creameries left that actually has 1/2 gallon containers.

You people are still having fun with food. I'm trying not to. I gained 20 pounds during lockdown, since January. . . so I'm eliminating all the fun stuff. Coffee must go since I can't love it without creamer. I'm happy with my mint tea and green tea. Wish I had some good chai (without the cream). Milk must go also. Gave up the cheese and bread. Hope I can lose some weight.

B and C said:
Peach pie works too but I prefer the cobbler if I have a choice.  Always ice cream.

Root beer float anyone?  Vanilla is the best as you can do so much with it.  I try to keep at least six 1/2 gallons here, 3 vanilla and 3 buttered pecan.  My two favorites.  I rotate the stock of course.  I am limited when I travel by my small freezer and access to Blue Bell ice cream.  Blue Bell is one of the few creameries left that actually has 1/2 gallon containers.
Someday the van will have a freezer, for this reason and making ice. My goto alternative is "itsit bars" has two cookies with ice cream in the middle, and the whole thing dipped in chocolate. Messy but quite good.
-crofter

B and C said:
Peach pie works too but I prefer the cobbler if I have a choice.  Always ice cream.

Root beer float anyone?  Vanilla is the best as you can do so much with it.  I try to keep at least six 1/2 gallons here, 3 vanilla and 3 buttered pecan.  My two favorites.  I rotate the stock of course.  I am limited when I travel by my small freezer and access to Blue Bell ice cream.  Blue Bell is one of the few creameries left that actually has 1/2 gallon containers.
I agree...rootbeer float is ideal any time..especially during the summer.

I plan to make the first meal in my rig..a grilled burger and root beer float.

I used to work ESL with mostly Asian students. None of them liked it. Apparently  in China, Japan, and S. Korea their medicine is flavored like Rootbeer or Dr. Pepper.. instead of our cherry or grape flavors.  In 5 years.. I only found one Asian student who liked Rootbeer.

Irreconcilable differences i guess.