24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday morning view from my campsite. It was about 8:30 AM

d0f201b3997a95ac36a54f4d03e09823.jpeg

Cammalu in Squirrelhaven - that looks like a fun place to camp! I know there are squirrels in some parts of the forest I live in - but I don't see them here in my yard. Another thing I don't see here - rabbits. We have skunks and raccoons. Occasionally we have foxes, bears and mountain lions. In this neighborhood there's also a population of feral cats.

I've put it off long enough. Today my goal is to get started on washing the walls in the bedroom I want to paint. This paneling is 45 years old. It needs to be washed. After that I'll be painting on the primer. I give myself two weeks to get this done. Obviously, I have no reason to hurry.

Love the lady bug. Would like to see inside next.

Uh oh!

Hope the other returns home soon.

My dog went missing briefly out west last year, and I was sure a mountain lion had gotten her, but she just got too far away to hear me over the roaring river.

My local neighborhood Goodwill store is reopening on Friday, of course with limits on capacity. Just in time, the pairs of jeans I wear for working on projects were literally getting very threadbare. I need another 4 pairs of scruffy jeans and T-shirts to last me through the build time this summer.

But now that I have finished lunch I need to get back to work. Next up washing the roof of the trailer...good thing it is a warm day because I will end up getting pretty wet from that chore.

travelaround said:
Update - one cat returned... but the one that was missing all day yesterday is still not here.
Sorry to hear about your cat, TA. You can worry, but you know it is just out catting around.

Another scorcher here, 106 degrees so far today in southern Arizona. Four forest fires burning in the state last I heard.

I bought a carport for seventeen thousand dollars. Sounds like a lot, but it is a nice carport and will put me in the shade whenever I am parked there. Has real brick paving, so that makes it a sticks and bricks (no actual sticks, it is all metal).
~crofter

We're getting 100 here this week. Not here, but I see the incident maps that crofter noted show that CA and AZ are lighting up. Summer time has arrived in the west.

TA will have to keep on the lookout. There was the ginormous Happy Camp/Seiad Valley fire right near there 5 years ago. Luckily, there are 3 ways out of there.

crofter said:
....106 degrees so far today in southern Arizona....
I spoke too soon, 115 degrees now. Further hiking is postponed until further notice.
-crofter (standing on AC vent, it's called a siesta I guess)

Fire protection services have managed to save the town from fire many times. Fortunately we're in a deep valley and not high on a ridge like Paradise was.

Still no sign of the cat... I believe she was taken by the mountain lion. The other cat is about to become an indoor cat and I will be moving my bed indoors as well, so I don't have to walk out to the van at midnight.

Depends too on where the fire starts. In the HC/SV fire, it was east and south of the river, but as I recall, came down pretty much all the way to the river near HC. The huge fire that burned down a lot of Redding a year or 2 ago started in the mountains to the west as I recall, and blew down into the town. Similar for Santa Rosa. Prevailing winds. Best to keep a Bug-Out Bag packed I think for the summer, and gas in the tank.

Yes, I've been tempted to evacuate from here before. Once I came home from Eureka and found there was a fire burning on the top of the hill next to my cabin!

Another time I was coming home over Grayback Mountain from an Oregon grocery shopping trip, and about 10 miles north of HC a fire was burning right next to the road. Whoever was right in front of me either tossed a cigarette or set it on purpose. Flames were about four feet high. It was dark out. I pulled over and got two gallons of bottled water out of the backseat and put that fire out. It was right next to my favorite campground, which has since been blocked by the forest service due to a problem with the road.

I have other fire stories. . . but essentially, thus far the forest service has done well with putting out fires before they get too close to town. They let them burn in the wilderness and just "manage" them. Very distressing to anyone who prefers clean smoke-free air to breathe.

OH ... and CAT REPORT . . . She came back! Yes, she was out catting around but when there's a mountain lion in the neighborhood I can't help but worry. When I lived here before I lost four cats to wild animals... probably cougars.. though could have been an owl, some said.

Northern CA seems to have a special problem with fires spreading into local towns before before people can even react. Redding, Santa Rosa, and Paradise. The Clear Lake area goes up every year.

Regarding cats, it's late spring and the kitty doth wander.

Are van dwellers humorless?Seems most subjects here are about dire circumstances or problems people have.I post a joke on occasion but it either never gets posted or is removed very quickly.I guess I should be glad life is not such a struggle for me.

"van dwellers?" ... sounds like you may have a problem with the mods. FWIW, I believe I've had more posts deleted than anyone else here, lol.

Also, most of the people posting to this particular thread live on or near the west coast, and that area has particular problems, with covid and summer wildfires too. CA, OR, and WA have been about the worst states for fires the past several years. First be safe, then have fun. Life in the Time of Covid.

1shemp said:
Are van dwellers humorless?Seems most subjects here are about dire circumstances or problems people have.I post a joke on occasion but it either never gets posted or is removed very quickly.I guess I should be glad life is not such a struggle for me.
If you are the ONLY One laughing.. it is NOT a joke.

Trolling boards to provoke a reaction is also NOT a joke.

I did not report your post in the Christian nomads thread.. I felt it more important that you educated yourself about the diversity of the Middle East peoples.

I assume my post was taken down because it was in response to yours and to remove all trace of your "joke" mine was removed as well as I quoted it.

sigh