24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am tempted to post more, but Shemp your jokes are NOT FUNNY. please try to stay off the humor part of posting. highdesertranger

I mowed half my front yard this morning. Best I could do before I was too hot and sweating... later, I went out and dumped the contents of the wheelbarrow on the compost pile at the back of the property. So hot out there! I want to prune more rose bushes, but need to cool down and rest first.

Meanwhile I'm reading a vampire book and after this I think I'll be done with vampire books forever. The main character seems so clueless!

Almost 100F here lately. I stopped reading vampire books when I was 3 YO.

1shemp said:
Are van dwellers humorless?Seems most subjects here are about dire circumstances or problems people have.I post a joke on occasion but it either never gets posted or is removed very quickly.I guess I should be glad life is not such a struggle for me.
I don't think people are humorless but I do think many jokes are based on sarcasm which is based on being deliberately offensive. See the definition. Of course this forum does have rules of behavior regarding being offensive as do most forums.
sar·casm

noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms
  1. the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

Try telling some light hearted silly jokes.

Travelaround, if you pass thru Texas sometime and the van needs some work, bring it on by, I am no master carpenter but I can run a drill and a saw!

:cool:

Thanks tx2sturgis, I wanted to be in Texas this year but it didn't turn out that way. I got sidelined in Northern California, near the Oregon border.

Qxxx said:
I stopped reading vampire books when I was 3 YO.

I finished the vampire book and will probably never read another one. Horror is not my favorite genre. I read it to fulfill a reading prompt for a 50-prompt reading challenge I'm working on this year. The prompt was to read a book about a book club, so I read The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires. The only other vampire book I've ever read was Dracula, which turned out to be pretty good.

I totally missed out on all things "Buffy" except that I used to sing a Buffy St. Marie song, The Piney Wood Hills.

Because of the mountain lion I moved my van mattress indoors and spent the night in the mobile home for the first time last night. It is probably a good idea to empty the van completely since I need to do some work on the interior.

I felt safe in the van but didn't feel safe walking out to the van at midnight.

travelaround said:
....Because of the mountain lion.... didn't feel safe walking out to the van at midnight.
Consider getting some bear spray for the big cat. It will live a lot longer if you train it to avoid humans. There are some bear spray cat training videos in the training for the worst day thread.
-crofter

Thanks Crofter. I was looking for the "thank you" button and then.. I remembered.

Well, truly I'm hoping to avoid all encounters with "Mamma" as my pastor's wife calls her. They live a few doors down. Apparently Mamma comes by every now and then, stays a week or two, then moves on.

Just spent the last couple of hours sanitizing and getting things ready for my workshop mate's son and his girlfriend and their dog to overnight here. But not in this space, the office unit next door is vacant so they will camp out in it. There is a shared bathroom in outside hallway but I can use the one in the garage and they can have that bath all to themselves so I sanitized it. Now I feel like a motel maid who worked as fast as possible to get everything vacuumed, all surfaces clean and sanitized and I even set up a little coffee bar set up for them. Good thing that just before the stay at home order took effect I had gotten a free tri-fold, double bed sized mattress that I was thinking about cutting down to fit in my Honda Element. Good enough for one night although not the worlds thickest mattress.

They have been up in Washington looking to buy some land, hopefully with a barn on it. They have two travel trailers, a Burro and a vintage aluminum Spartan. Next trip up they will bring the Burro to stay in while property hunting.

WanderingRose said:
I’m working on “if I can’t offer help of some sort, be quiet”.

Not a problem if you are around me Rose.
If you can't keep quiet I will just send you off with a list of errands to run or other task in a different location.

travelaround said:
 encounters with "Mamma"
FWIW, my reading indicates they like to stalk prey from behind. When I lived in Colorado, a high school kid was joggling on a trail, and the cat jumped off a ledge onto his back as he ran by. Another time, a gal was joggling on a trail, saw the cat following behind her, and climbed up a tree. Both were daylight encounters. Fast moving prey triggers the predator instinct. (of course, now someone will come and tell me I'm wrong, oh well).

You live in an interesting area, TA. Bears, rattle snakes, cougars, wildfires, and Bigfoot.

maki2 said:
The Lady Bug has landed. When you have a black and red trailer and tow vehicle and they are cute as a pair of lady bugs, the name to call them is pretty obvious  :p  But the trailer is called "little red caboose" by some of the neighbors, another obvious choice.

Very nice looking combo!

Qxxx said:
You live in an interesting area, TA. Bears, rattle snakes, cougars, wildfires, and Bigfoot.

Yes, all that. So glad to be back.

So far today looks fantastic. Maybe I feel that way because I broke the coffee habit this morning... choosing to drink Plantation Mint tea instead. It contains some tea (caffeine) as well so, no headache yet.

I should do some gardening today... mowing and rose pruning and blackberry bramble control.

Back around 1990, I had a nasty run in with Theophylline prescribed by a professional board-certified allergist doctor quack (personal appraisal), which ended up putting me in the hospital and made me sick for 2 years after that. From my reading, the fermenting of black tea apparently increases Theophylline levels, so I only drink (unfermented) green tea anymore, and every day