24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another trick, if you decide you want to delete a post after having posted, you cannot do that. But you can edit it for up to 15-minutes, so you can remove all the words and replace with 3 dots.

Now that I tested out the hot water shower, I am really wanting to have a good supply of water LOL.

I am stretching things thin and trying to determine if a Berkey and a cooler would be better for me than an Alpicool at this time. I don't think I can swing both at this time.

I am leaning strongly to the Berkey. I can eat dehydrated foods and canned items and fresh veggies that dont require refrigeration. And if I understand correctly even a puddle can be filtered for drinking with a Berkey...

How much water do most people carry typically? Do you wish you had more?
At the moment I just have one 7 gal(?) aqua cube from Walmart. If I recall  it seems the rule of thumb is a gallon per day per person?

Priorities.
The Alpicool may also need  me to increase the electrical... and I think most of you know I  think electricity is of the devil... :s

Any thoughts? If you could only have one.. which would you put first?

desert_sailing said:
All this talk about coffee made me realize what my problem today was.

I haven't had any for a few months now and today I decided to get a 16oz Americano with 4 shots!

I have been jittery all darn day.

I love the flavor of strong coffee..but never again. Today I had my last taste.

Gads! Im a regular coffee drinker but a 4 shot super whateveritis would make me wired all day also.

Its possible to drink coffee or indulge in other mild vices without overdoing it. I know a guy that drinks 4 pots of coffee a day and loves it. 1 or 2 cups a day is plenty for me. I really enjoy it, but drinking more would lessen the enjoyment.

I put a magnet on each side of the material to hold it in place. obviously I do this in several places. no sewing, ironing, or gluing. highdesertranger

I thought about buying a Berkey but I can't see paying that much money for a counter space hogging water filter.

Then I watched a recent youtube video from the channel Slim Potato head that was reviewing small sized filters to use while he is camping in his travel trialer. He was bookdocking near a river with a lot of dirt in it from the spring runoff. So a good test of how clean could he make that water.

He said which one was his favorite, the Miniwell brand. His favorite is very small, and not expensive, I paid $22.00 for it. The version of it he uses has a fitting that is put into a hole you make in a plastic bucket and I got that one! A small vinyl hose attaches to it. The water runs through the hose, through the filter and then into the container of your choice. It will take a while to filter a few gallons of water but it is not as if you have to sit there and stare at it while it does the filtering. The filter can be back washed and used over and over for many thousands of liters of water.

The heck with a big, bulky and over priced Berkey. Sure they do a great job but I don't have room for one in my budget or on my countertop or in my cabinet. This little filter make nice safe drinking water. You can order it on Amazon or from other sources.
miniwell Gravity Water Filter Straw Ultralight Versatile Hiker Water Filter Optional Accessories. TUV Proven Emergency Kit Hurricane Storm Supplies.

maki2 said:
I thought about buying a Berkey but I can't see paying that much money for a counter space hogging water filter.

Then I watched a recent youtube video from the channel Slim Potato head that was reviewing small sized filters to use while he is camping in his travel trialer. He was bookdocking near a river with a lot of dirt in it from the spring runoff. So a good test of how clean could he make that water. 

He said which one was his favorite, the Miniwell brand. His favorite is very small, and not expensive, I paid $22.00 for it. The version of it he uses has a fitting that is put into a hole you make in a plastic bucket and I got that one! A small vinyl hose attaches to it. The water runs through the hose, through the filter and then into the container of your choice. It will take a while to filter a few gallons of water but it is not as if you have to sit there and stare at it while it does the filtering. The filter can be back washed and used over and over for many thousands of liters of water.

The heck with a big, bulky and over priced Berkey. Sure they do a great job but I don't have room for one in my budget or on my countertop or in my cabinet. This little filter make nice safe drinking water. You can order it on Amazon or from other sources.
miniwell Gravity Water Filter Straw Ultralight Versatile Hiker Water Filter Optional Accessories. TUV Proven Emergency Kit Hurricane Storm Supplies.

That is a much more attractive price.. even better that I already have a few backpacking filters/straws. I bought them at the start of the covid panic..
It is pretty nifty to set up a gravity feed this guy did.

The Berkey travel is 250 bux so much more than most other filters but roughly the same as the Alpicool and with the dimensions at 7.5 x 7.5 x 19.0 inches would fit easily on my counter as it is around 7ish feet long. I don't know what I plan to have on the main counter top other than a couple of van plants to filter my air...maybe tomato plants too??.:)

This is exactly why I avoid Baskin Robbins.

HLR, Home Location Register ??? What? My abbreviation knowledge ends at LOL.

Sofisintown said:
Yes I did cheat, the van outside is still a royal mess. But THIS ice cream can be made anywhere, as long a HLR is your neighbor!
No ice cream machine, just a whisk, and cream, sugar, milk and cocoa. I have been experimenting with 'road versions' of foodstuff. I think I'll put out some videos on that .
Oh I hope you do find time to share a few videos on road versions of foodstuff. My meal plan is more or less non existent at the moment. :(

Powdered eggs and powdered milk is about all I have on my provisions list.

desert_sailing said:
All this talk about coffee made me realize what my problem today was.

I haven't had any for a few months now and today I decided to get a 16oz Americano with 4 shots!

I have been jittery all darn day.

I love the flavor of strong coffee..but never again. Today I had my last taste.

I do half regular, half decaf, that way I can have the flavor I like without jitteriness and palpitations.   :rolleyes:

I used to have zero problems sleeping related to caffeine, then once lay awake til about 3 AM, this after a long exhausting day working. I finally figured out that I cant have any caffeine after about 3 PM or I cant sleep til 2 or 3 AM. Otherwise, I like it and have no guilt about all the innocent coffee beans slain in pursuit of my vice.

Coffee is one of the “can’t live without” items for me.

One of life’s little pleasures.

Early in the pandemic, when others were hoarding toilet paper, I kept a couple of extra bags of good coffee.

Of course, if I had to live without it I certainly could, but like toilet paper I prefer not to.   :D

desert_sailing said:
Priorities.
The Alpicool may also need  me to increase the electrical... and I think most of you know I  think electricity is of the devil... :s

Any thoughts? If you could only have one.. which would you put first?

Electrical for a fridge.  You may think it is evil but you drive a vehicle that wouldn't work without it.  Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

Your already dancing, time to try a different beat.

I thought everyone knew, oil ... black gold ... is the devil, not electricty. I've been getting free power from the sun for 3 years in the van, but spent about $1000 per year on gas.

Sofisintown said:
I feel for you, I have insomnia occasionally and it bothers my joints etc. Decaf has enough caffeine in it to affect you. For example tea has much less caffeine but I noticed that while it didn’t give me that nice boost like coffee if I’d I drink it before bed I can’t sleep. So maybe you are sensitive to caffeine. Have you tried zero caffeine and camomile tea before bed? And some real lavender oil? Sometimes you can find a tiny spray bottle for your pillow.

I love real coffee but I sleep every other night lately, so I have switched to de-caf.
Yup, I'm one of them heretics who drink decaf. Black, with an icecube, and on occasion Arabica decafeinated brew. It is a matter of habit, and I got used to it.  I still can't sleep though...

Sofisintown said:
I don't take day naps often, because I'm afraid I will not sleep at night, and I have weird dreams if I sleep during the day. So I avoid it.
Please tell me I'm not the only weirdo here...
Sorry Sofi, I don't think you'll get any guarantees out of "this" group, lol. And I love those weird daytime dreams.