24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello - no coffee for 2 day now. I'm having chai this morning. That's plenty of caffeine. I'm not missing the coffee. It is time to put new batteries in the bathroom scale to see if I'm losing any pounds.

On the Apicool vs. Berkey debate - I vote for refrigeration. There are plenty of water filtration options that cost a lot less that a Berkey... and really, how often do we need to filter water? I buy bottled water... usually Crystal Geyser spring water.

I don't know much about Apicool but I think it is cheaper than what I bought. I got an Iceco refrigerator after I saw Bob talking about it on a video... there was a good discount at the time and I think Bob got a commission. I gave away the refrigerator that was in the mobile home when I bought it and put my Iceco fridge in the kitchen on a rolling shelf thing. I store food on the shelves under the fridge. When I go traveling again I can put the Iceco back out in the van and take it with me. It runs on either 110 or 12v. Cools and freezes well but there's only one compartment so you have to decide which you want.

travelaround said:
On the Apicool vs. Berkey debate - I vote for refrigeration. There are plenty of water filtration options that cost a lot less that a Berkey... and really, how often do we need to filter water? I buy bottled water... usually Crystal Geyser spring water.
Yes.. that seems to be the consensus and I am definitely heeding the wisdom of all the more experienced folks on here.

I won't however buy more solar at this time. I may buy an extra 35ah sla.. but that would be the extent of it.
If I can't make it work with that adjustment  I guess it is a Berkey and dehydrated and canned foods.

HF - Harbor Freight - usually has 20-25% off coupons (or they used to).

desert_sailing said:
...van plants to filter my air...
Our van plant is an aloe vera.  It lives in a cup holder.  Not the best air filter, but rugged and handy for burns.  We used to give our van plants outside time, but potted plants are thought to be responsible in large part for spreading colonies of Argentine ants and tawny crazy ants throughout the state park system in Texas.

desert_sailing said:
How much water do most people carry typically? Do you wish you had more?
Crossing the Oklahoma/Texas panhandles in the summer in a '96 where there's no cell service?  More.  Hopscotching metro areas?  Less.  Utah, with "No Hauling" signs in dry ditches?  More.  Mountains?  Less.  I prefer not to keep all my water eggs in one basket, however much is on board.  I try to minimize non-essential water use because I strive to contain and dispose of grey water appropriately, which can be a headache.  To answer the question:  the most I carry is a 6 gallon carboy, with a couple of gallons stored in two separate containers.  Water is life.  It's everywhere, but I like a nice, handy supply.

Am I the only person who does not like the smell of lavender scented products? It certainly does not relax me, I just want to throw it out the door. The plants are great...when kept out in the garden.

VanFan said:
Our van plant is an aloe vera.  It lives in a cup holder.  Not the best air filter, but rugged and handy for burns.  We used to give our van plants outside time, but potted plants are thought to be responsible in large part for spreading colonies of Argentine ants and tawny crazy ants throughout the state park system in Texas.
You would be surprised. Aloe vera is on nearly every list I have seen for improving quality of air.

"ALOE VERA – What’s great about this plant is that it emits oxygen at night time whilst simultaneously taking in carbon dioxide- something we naturally produce when breathing.  All this leads to a purer quality of air and a better night’s sleep."

https://www.perrywood.co.uk/gardening-tips/top-ten-house-plants-that-literally-clean-the-air/

I plan to have one for the same reasons you listed as well as clearing my air a bit. I will pull a few others would like to have a peace lily as well as that is a heavy cleaner.. Ill get some of those macrame holders so I can hang a few others from the ceiling.

Here is another tidbit from the link above.

"SCINDAPSUS Another powerful plant fighting formaldehyde, it will grow in a cascade of green from a hanging basket.

Top Tip: If you live on a busy road, fill your house with this beautiful gushing greenery to banish car exhaust fumes"

VanFan said:
Crossing the Oklahoma/Texas panhandles in the summer in a '96 where there's no cell service?  More.  Hopscotching metro areas?  Less.  Utah, with "No Hauling" signs in dry ditches?  More.  Mountains?  Less.  I prefer not to keep all my water eggs in one basket, however much is on board.  I try to minimize non-essential water use because I strive to contain and dispose of grey water appropriately, which can be a headache.  To answer the question:  the most I carry is a 6 gallon carboy, with a couple of gallons stored in two separate containers.  Water is life.  It's everywhere, but I like a nice, handy supply.
6 gallons is the MOST??..

I was thinking of  3 or 4 -7 gallon when going "out into" certainly less while near all the towns and such.

2 weeks is the BLM timeframe?   so 14 gallons@1 gallon per day for me.. and then  1 gallonish every other day for showers.. I think that totals up to around 21 gallons in 2 weeks.

I always carry 6 gallons water under the bed, and another 4 in the well next to the side doors of the van. Under the bed is space to slide in "exactly" 8 boxes of a certain size, and 6 gallons just fit perfectly into one box. If I'm in a place like AZ where you can fill up a gallon jug for $0.25, it's easy going.

My onboard fresh water tank is 35 gallons and I carry a blue 7 gallon jug just in case. I usually have water left over in the main tank after two weeks. My black tank is full in two week so that is as long as I can stay out anyway. Nice that it fits the camping regulations of two weeks. I take a navy shower three times a week too using the main tank.

no wonder most you of you have to stick close to towns. 3 gallons? 6? what. the single most important molecule for life and that's it. wow just wow. highdesertranger

desert_sailing said:
Aloe vera is on nearly every list I have seen for improving quality of air.
Nice to know.  Each of the other plants on that link lives in our S&B, except for the palm and fern.

highdesertranger said:
no wonder most you of you have to stick close to towns.
Towns?  Not necessarily.  When in remote mode, we carry dehydrated water, naturally :dodgy:  And hush--oxygen will get jealous!

VanFan said:
Towns?  Not necessarily.  When in remote mode, we carry dehydrated water, naturally :dodgy:  And hush--oxygen will get jealous!
Good one. I can't believe HDR is so blinking judgmental. A guy what now hauls a 40' long trailer behind a 30' flatbed truck. Convoy.

Hell, when I was boondocking in Oregon, I would drive into Redmond or Sisters every night for dinner. Never came close to running out of water.

Carrying a large amount of water is really a non issue for me as I will be close enough to get some within an hour or so drive. I have to go into town about once or twice a week anyway to mail out orders for my online business. I am not going to be doing laundry at my rig unless I was near by to a river. I travel solo so I am in control of restricting my usage so no "water rights" fights to deal with.

The video link I am posting has got to be one of the most fun and carefree things I have seen in a while.

I really hope I can let loose like this lady and this becomes me after a year of van life...if not sooner.

Ya..I hope my rigidness becomes more along the lines of the quirky act and that I learn to embrace being a free spirit.

I am definitely more along the lines of the link you posted.