24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanFan said:
I was "taught" to find and follow water to civilization if lost.  I wonder if it works in reverse?
Might make a fun trip for several months to start near Yuma where the Colorado River ends, and go upriver to its source. Could also turn north when you get to Vernal UT and go on up the Green. If you want a preview ahead of time ....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OEXJB0E

However, any more you're liable to find yourself at a ski resort at the endpoints.

travelaround said:
 so three gallons is good for me.
3 gallons is about my space of time and distance between hamburger stops.

When I do make it to town, a breakfast at a good restaurant (not mickyD's) that I didn't cook and an evening meal I didn't cook, sometimes a hamburger but rarely and if at a place that has a good chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and fried okra. One of my favorite meals. I generally like the hamburgers I grill better than the ones you can buy. It is the onion rings and french fries I miss. Guess I could make a mess and fry my own but probably not. Hate gleaning up a grease mess.

I have about 70 gallon water capacity. 24 gal & 42 gal tanks, two 7 gal blue bottles

Not a van dweller though. Just an old guy in a truck camper.

You must be in the south....in the Pacific NW the only place I recall offering okra was in gumbo at a local Creole style food cafe.

B and C said:
... a good chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and fried okra. 
Sounds good. When I was living in Nashville years ago, I remember once having "boiled" okra, and it was totally puke-worthy. But fried sounds great.

And speaking of the PNW, I seem to remember some guy drove all the way from there to Texas to get CFS. And hit every place along the way that offered CFS. Must be good stuff.

Chicken fried steak and fried okra (not boiled, yuk) are southern foods but they have been making their way north. Just gotta be careful that they make it in house and not use the frozen stuff from the food vendors. The frozen stuff is basically a frozen hamburger patty that has been battered before being frozen. Not very tasty. Real chicken fried steak is made from round steak. About 40 miles from here is the best chicken fried steak in Texas as proclaimed by Texas magazine. I don't know if it has been updated but that place is sure good. WE used to eat there fairly regularly when we lived a lot closer. I have found another great place up in Murphy, Texas of all places. It seems the fried okra in the restaurants is all from the food service but is good none the less. Dunk the fried okra in ranch dressing for a real treat but is good without it. The most northern place I got a decent one was in Pocatello, ID.

Tex-Mex is something that I miss on the road. It is too spicy (hot) for most northerners and I guess even NM and AZ. Mexican food is so bland otherwise.

The four food groups of Texas are:

Bar-B-Que (not grilled, that is grillin) I'll grill hamburger not b-b-q a hamburger, two complete different things. I guess you can put b-b-q sauce on a hamburger and call it b-b-q a burger.

Chicken fried steak
Tex-Mex

Pecan pie
Blue Bell ice cream

I know there is another main dish type thing that completes the 4 but it escapes me at the moment. I used to have a T-shirt with it on the back when I went out of state. Helped me find the Texan's for sure. Darn CRS (can't remember s***). I added a couple of others we are known for.

Chicken fried steak and fried okra (not boiled, yuk) are southern foods but they have been making their way north. Just gotta be careful that they make it in house and not use the frozen stuff from the food vendors. The frozen stuff is basically a frozen hamburger patty that has been battered before being frozen. Not very tasty. Real chicken fried steak is made from round steak. About 40 miles from here is the best chicken fried steak in Texas as proclaimed by Texas magazine. I don't know if it has been updated but that place is sure good. WE used to eat there fairly regularly when we lived a lot closer. I have found another great place up in Murphy, Texas of all places. It seems the fried okra in the restaurants is all from the food service but is good none the less. Dunk the fried okra in ranch dressing for a real treat but is good without it. The most northern place I got a decent one was in Pocatello, ID.

Tex-Mex is something that I miss on the road. It is too spicy (hot) for most northerners and I guess even NM and AZ. Mexican food is so bland otherwise.

The four food groups of Texas are:

Bar-B-Que (not grilled, that is grillin) I'll grill hamburger not b-b-q a hamburger, two complete different things. I guess you can put b-b-q sauce on a hamburger and call it b-b-q a burger.

Chicken fried steak
Tex-Mex

Pecan pie
Blue Bell ice cream

I know there is another main dish type thing that completes the 4 but it escapes me at the moment. I used to have a T-shirt with it on the back when I went out of state. Helped me find the Texan's for sure. Darn CRS (can't remember s***). I added a couple of others we are known for.

B and C said:
I know there is another main dish type thing that completes the 4 but it escapes me...
Well, you could say chili, but so darn many fights start that way...

Also, while the quality of chicken fried steak does matter, it's mainly a cream gravy delivery vehicle, IMO.  Next time we stop in to Buttermilk's in Canton, I think we'll drop all pretext and order a pint to go--with two spoons.

Since early March, we've only had each others' cooking, with the exception of a stop at Cowburner's in Mineola, where I decided to "risk it for the brisket," snagged some to go, and ate in a nearby parking lot.

Another fav is Billy B's, a/k/a Sale Barn Cafe.  It's tucked inside a livestock auction barn (wooden seats and all) in Groesbeck.  Small; limited hours.  Yum!

Texas:  So much to love; so much to hate.

WHAT A BURGER!

I cant believe you left out this major food group in Texas!

photo1960.jpg

Attachments

• photo1960.jpg
    photo1960.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 11
It is my favorite burger joint. Number 1 with no changes. People rave about in-n-out but I don't know why. Hard to get just a standard burger there. Tried it twice, won't be back. A regular hamburger is meat, bun, mustard, pickles, lettuce and onions. A cheeseburger has cheese and substitute mayo for the mustard. This is the way they have been made all my life. I don't much care for cheeseburgers but throw on some bacon (bacon cheeseburger) and I am all in.

The fast food joints just started putting a squirt of mustard, mayo and ketchup on all their burgers back in the 60's. I guess it was easier that way. Now they put ranch dressing and other things on them. I'll take a plain ol' hamburger anyday. I have never tired of them.

Forgot to add TOMATOES. How could I forget that?!?

What a Burger! That's what I was thinking, for the 4th food group. I can't believe I went all the way to Texas and back a few years ago and forgot to stop at What a Burger to see what everyone was raving about. Will I ever know?

The #5, double bacon cheeseburger meal, OMG. My hands shake while typing this. It's been two years.

Now that I think of it, it's about an eight hour drive from me to the nearest one. Hmmm.... will they let you overnight in the parking lot??

Latest posts