24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to roll up your awning if you still have one, wind gusts of 45 while the cool air comes south today. The sun came up red today there was so much dirt in the air.
-crofter

travelaround said:
If vinegar isn't effective it is a miracle I'm not dead yet.
I use white vinegar to wipe down my fry pan "after" I boil water in it. Just an additional measure towards killing "bacteria", not coronavirus. Been doing so for 3 years now, and still alive.

I dont hsve a regular awning but I do have a reflective tarp that slides into my awning rail. It is going to be pretty. Hot today so maybe I should put it out on the west side of the trailer. I do park my car on that side which also helps keep some sun off it. i wanted to buy some aluminet in July but the sixpze I needed was sold out.  I suppose I should look again before I leave the area so zi can pickmit up from my mailbox service in Seattle.

One thing I plan to do for shopping in Seattle is get some white marine vinyl so I can make a  custom windshield cover for my car.  There is a fabric store in Monroe WA but it is focused on quilting fabrics as was the store in Port Townsend WA. I will head to a JoAnn store where there is a big parking lot. there are thee choices of those of those on my way to the mailbox. Still traveling with my heavy duty pottable sewoing machine until I get all such projects completed. After that I will sell it. it is a desirable model so finding a buyer won't be difficult.

travelaround said:
Happy Camp on fire. Evacuated.
OHhhhhh no. That is terrible news. So sorry that has happened to your community,  sending a prayer your way for everyone's  safety as well as a safe outcome for your homes and animals.

Did you have time to get everything loaded up and get out okay?

Got a considerable amount of junk loaded. Saved van, cargo trailer, skoolie, jeep, all family members alive and well. Bad internet connection. My home is probably gone and my daughters too. One car probably incinerated. We're headed for Yreka.

Travel round - God bless and keep you. You are in my prayers. Better than that you are in Gods hands. Just heard a quote from CS Lewis it said “Never base your happiness on anything that can be taken away from you.“. If there are any needs we can help with do not hesitate to let us know I may be thousands of miles away but there might be a way we nomads could help.

travelaround said:
Got a considerable amount of junk loaded. Saved van, cargo trailer, skoolie, jeep, all family members alive and well. Bad internet connection. My home is probably gone and my daughters too. One car probably incinerated. We're headed for Yreka.

Wow. Very sorry to hear about your homes. Glad you and family are OK.

I'm glad you and the family got out alright. Sorry about he losses, I hope it is not too bad. I'm here if there's anything I can help with.

The wind came out of the eadt this morning and has smoked out the Puget sound region. I woke up with a sinus headache that had lasted all day, itchy eyes too. Still very hazy where I am camping. The haze does have one bennefit, the prediction for a rcord breaking high temperature for tomorrow has been lowered by 5 degrees.

Tuesday,, today, was a warm day, in the upper 80s  and I am parked in full sun, but the interior of my trailer stayed just under 80 degrees. The popup top has screened openings on all sides so if there is any breeze outside the heat exits out those openings instead of accumulating inside. It really is a nice feature to have. Keeps me cooler in summer and when lowered it is warmer on cold nights as there is less volume of space to heat.

I posted a bunch of jobs in the jobs thread started by cj here Job and parking. 1 2 ). Good luck everybody who needs a job right now, also according to Qxxx there may be a need for firefighters by the looks of that pic. Here is one of the links to apply for firefighting job, there were 52 links posted.
~crofter

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]https://g.co/kgs/k9ixU2 or this https://www.google.com/search?q=for...FVdAvqAAAAAA==&fpstate=tldetail[/font][/SIZE]

[font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Roboto, arial, sans-serif]https://g.co/kgs/k9ixU2[/font][/SIZE][/font]

Here is an apprentice job if you are just starting out.
https://g.co/kgs/PeM59L

I sold the house after the wife died and cleared $165,000.I have a 2014 Heartland camper I'm living in.I don't know what I'm going to do now.Im just so damned lonely.

travelaround said:
Happy Camp on fire. Evacuated.
@ TA and 1shemp, you are in my prayers like it or not.

I was on hold for 3 hours with an agency while you were evacuating. What a difference a thousand miles makes.
~crofter

1shemp said:
I sold the house after the wife died and cleared $165,000.I have a 2014 Heartland camper I'm living in.I don't know what I'm going to do now.Im just so damned lonely.

Invest it to make income.

Lonely sucks. Good luck with that, but I have little advice on the matter other than go places where humans hang out. Living way the heck out of town doesnt help lonely.

1shemp said:
I don't know what I'm going to do now.Im just so damned lonely.
Good clean fun at a square dancing club. 

Lots of great people.  

It may not appeal to everyone but would be a fun way to hang out and meet kind folk.

1shemp said:

Are you still in the Ozarks, 1Shemp? Are there any towns around that you could volunteer a couple of days a week to help out? That can help with the loneliness part

Thanks all for good thoughts and prayers. We are in Yreka for the night. No word yet on what burned and what didn't. Very sad. My daughter had only a few minutes to evacuate .... lost so much. She was close to the start of the fire. I had about an hour to pack things back into the van and cargo trailer. My son was in shock ... but took pictures for a video.