24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Virtualy every surface in my rig is white.. oh joy..

I really like the trompe loiel style of murals. I would love to do something cool inside like that.

video of various tromple loiel examples.

Its mostly just a heavy perspective 3d effect painting. Great stuff.

desert_sailing said:
Virtualy every surface in my rig is white.. oh joy..

I really like the trompe loiel style of murals. I would love to do something cool inside like that.
The only problem with trompe l'oiel murals is that they work from only one point of view, and there is not much space in a van to 'develop' a long perspective like that.

Sofisintown said:
The only problem with trompe l'oiel murals is that they work from only one point of view, and there is not much space in a van to 'develop' a long perspective like that.
I didn't think much about that.. so right.

Well.. I guess I am stuck with white walls for a while longer.. sigh.. eating my plain oatmeal and unbuttered white bread toast.

Pretty mundane existence when a glass of orange juice is the exciting event of the routine.

VanFan said:
I'm still optimistic :-/ , 'cause I just am.
Cancel that.  More clouds :( .  (Still optimistic, but not about today's solar rolls.)

The interior of Moby is basically monochromatic--grays and blues, which is very soothing in the small space.  The forest/lake/canyon/beach mural is usually outside (also very soothing).

maki2 said:
The long range foecast says it will be hot here starting in the middle of next week. Sounds like I might want to head back to the Olympic Peninsula to avoid that as it will be 10 degrees cooler there.....
Currently 123 degrees in southern AZ. I am told that this year is hotter than usual, but still reconsidering my choice to move here. Most days have been 10 plus degrees hotter for the high than previous years. Low temps are also hotter, currently in the mid to high 80's for sleeping. We did not get any monsoon weather or rain, just some humidity during the Texas hurricane (Hanna). Come on winter weather!!

Other bad news, social security has given me the boot, hope this is just temporary cos I am old and my clan lives a long time. They call me the crofter because I do not want to choose between rent or food.

The good news is, I hired a lawyer to resurrect my disability claims and appointment is next week. It is an old claim so the lawyer will be well motivated by money. Lawyers can get a percentage of your claim for their services, so more years = more $$$ for the lawyers. It's a long way off, I can see the payoff thru my telescope. And they want more doctor visits which = more pain.

On the bright side, my bouganvillea has started blooming again. I am maintaining it in a double bucket, so the roots are not disturbed by moving it. I am also growing an agave attenuata in a pot, seems very happy so far. Next I want to try a stevia plant so I can have fresh leaf.
-crofter

Qxxx said:
An infinite reflecting mirror scheme might work in a van.
https://www.google.com/search?q=infinity+reflection+mirrors&tbm=isch

I kind of like this guy's art on this page, kind of an Alien movie seedpod motif.
https://www.google.com/search?q=infinity+mirrors&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
[img=320x140]https://www.artsatl.org/wp-content/uploads/pkWYX4yw-1-759x500.jpeg[/img]
Those are sea urchins, not space monsters. An edible forage animal, if you know where that patch is you could have dinner al fresco.

Regarding mirrors in vans: I use some reflection from reflectics on the ceiling to amplify light. It creates a soft light throughout the cabin off of one luci light. If I want light for more than 3 hours, I can use my second luci light. Glass mirror would break in my van, but I do have a small plastic one that has survived in the van.
-crofter

maki2 said:
Definetly white , ie, clear vinegar for cleaning task. Apple cider ot other vinegars that have color to them could  potentially leave stains on surfaces and fabrics.
Some viruses, for example covid 19, are killed by soap. 
-crofter

desert_sailing said:
I really like the motif you have there. It is very  Pendleton Blanketesque. I like the swivel light too!

Id love to have walls  like you and Sofi have. I think  that is the way to go.

Both look great ..I have instead luan painted and polyed white with mangled cuts.... and splits and pokeys.
I applied fabric to van walls using a hot glue gun. The center ribs are covered with overall so I could have the pockets to use. I pasted on an old tapestry I like opposite the head of the bed.
-crofter

Quit staring at the walls, there are more interesting things to do with your time. :angel:

On other unrelated news, the little stick I planted last year hoping it will become a fig tree, made figs!
I thought it takes 4-5 years before they do.

Ok, so I get easily excited, but aren't they pretty!  :)
Figs.jpg

Attachments

• Figs.jpg
    Figs.jpg
    464.9 KB
Congratulations on fig propagation success! That's very impressive!

I have thought of making fabric panels and attaching them to the walls and ceiling with magnets, so they could be removable and interchangeable if I wanted to change the decor in the van.

Sofisintown said:
On other unrelated news, the little stick I planted last year hoping it will become a fig tree, made figs!
I thought it takes 4-5 years before they do.

Ok, so I get easily excited, but aren't they pretty!  :)
That's why yer hiding yer other hand behind yer back. Yer thumb is preternaturally green and it won't wash off. Good job. Only in Wisconsin.

Qxxx said:
Yer thumb is preternaturally green and it won't wash off. Good job. Only in Wisconsin.
Nothing preternatural with my thumbs. That lil' stick in a bag, said that it was "Chicago Hardy"
so I chanced that it would sustain another 70 miles north worth of freezing. It did.
I also got at the same time a grape vine, that grew tall to hug the clothesline, but no grapes on it.

travelaround said:
Congratulations on fig propagation success! That's very impressive!

I have thought of making fabric panels and attaching them to the walls and ceiling with magnets
Thank you! And Velcro tape would do also for the fabrics on the wall.

The day started out fine but maybe that second cup of coffe was not a good idea as I ended up feeling anxious this afternoon. at leadt it never got very hot today. Just anxious anout things I have to get done for my income generating work in this next 2 months.

I decided to go to the store this morning and buy a couple more of the zippered "cube" packs to put my clothes into. The duffle bag was taking up way toio much space in the trailer. I can tell it is going to take another few months to get my storage solutions more functional for life in such a small living space. I am also going to have to change away from cotton T shirts to more of the poly ones that are lighter in weight, pack up much smaller, and are easier to wash out by hand  if needed. Also ones that give good UV protection as I am outside a lot more now. They are also better to wear as layers of clothing for winter warmth.. I will have to look for them in the thrift stores as I travel this fall and winter.  As I am losing weight I need to buy new clothes anyway so I might as well get clothes that work better for my change in lifestyle. I might not be stylish but I do want to be comfortable and reasonanly presentable.

@Maki - good plan re: clothing . . . the adjustment to living in a small space is one of the hardest things about a first year of travel, and although I have a pretty big van I was still way-overloaded. It is such a blessing to have less to travel with. I hope you find the things you need to make your trailer life more manageable.

Do you also have a storage space, or only what you're carrying with you now? Although I gave away many, many things before I started, I still couldn't manage to give away enough, and ended up with that storage space I just emptied.

I don't have anything stashed away in a storage space. But I might consider renting one for a month or two if I get settled into one of the LTVA spots in Arizona just so I have a little more space in my car while finishing up some projects this winter.  I can't predict what I will feel like working on or how my interest will change over the next 6 month's time. Just that there is bound to be some shifting around of priorities and interest as wel as new opportunities I might want to get involved in.

You could opt for a storage tent at your campsite instead of paying someplace, unless of course the storage place comes with showers and electricity (one like that in Havasu but it is always booked). Good to hear you are on the road, I am sure you are feeling lighter day by day. 

Here is a travel planner tool, when you want to know how hot it is before going there. This is a searchable site for temps, just search on your state, and you can get an idea of where to travel for more liveable conditions. Also good to monitor if you are considering a move or a land purchase. These are current temperatures, so not fooled by historic data that may no longer apply.
~crofter
Description: weather data maps from specific sites

http://www.usairnet.com/weather/maps/current/arizona/temperature/#