24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again from PA. We’ve been having nice cooler temperatures in the 80s and lower humidity but it’s coming with some rain. I don’t like to live in a van I like to live out of a van.

What happened to the poetry thing I don’t remember the title but I can’t find it anywhere. I enjoy playing with that.

I’m going to try another campsite that I haven’t done before at least for a couple of days. I like coming back here to the pond because I like swimming. Actually I like walking in the water not on the water but when I’m in the water I don’t need my walker or my caneS it feels good to stand up without falling down.

God bless the van dwellers all of them.

nature lover said:
Hello again from PA. We’ve been having nice cooler temperatures in the 80s and lower humidity but it’s coming with some rain. I don’t like to live in a van I like to live out of a van. 

What happened to the poetry thing I don’t remember the title but I can’t find it anywhere. I enjoy playing with that. 

I’m going to try another campsite that I haven’t done before at least for a couple of days. I like coming back here to the pond because I like swimming. Actually I like walking in the water not on the water but when I’m in the water I don’t need my walker or my caneS it feels good to stand up without falling down.

God bless the van dwellers all of them.
Swimming,,when its ONLY in the 80s outside???./...sounds cooold..

Here in the LCV we have been in the 100s so long..anything less than 80 requires a blanket/jacket. I cant imagine being wet and freezing like that. Hope your new site is fun.

VanFan said:
I will never, ever be able to make bread like Sofi. 
Basic bread has only 4 ingredients and it is very simple to make.
Flour, water, yeast and salt .
You don't even need the sugar if your yeast is good and alive.
You mix them all together, and when it rises, you form loaves and bake 'em!
You can go fancy and follow steps and add more stuff, but simple bread is tasty and easy.

Qxxx said:
In my van, I wanted to add a small bit of aesthetics, so I covered up the bare white walls by hanging blankets with nice designs.

I like your wall-blanky Q. It has all my favorite colors!
And the tapestries remind me of a wall paper I had 35 years ago at my house, where the whole wall was a forest scene.
I remember that I loved it in the beginning, but seeing it day-in and day-out became old soon, and when I decided to take it down some years later, it was a real pain and major mess...

desert_sailing said:
Swimming,,when its ONLY in the 80s outside???./...sounds cooold..

Here in the LCV we have been in the 100s so long..anything less than 80 requires a blanket/jacket. I cant imagine being wet and freezing like that. Hope your new site is fun.
Come on, Jeremiah!
I'm sure you can survive low to mid sixties, unscathed! :p

>>> but seeing it day-in and day-out became old soon,

One might look for the less ostentatious tapestries, like TA's bookcases, and with less saturated colors, then not permanently affix them to the walls. The blankie on my van wall kind of blends in and doesn't outwardly grab own's attention.

My nightowl behavior flew out the window the day I started living in my travel trailer. Always up early now.

Low lying fog along the river valley here this morning. But thst will soon clear. Not too hot today but due to warm up next week. Maybe I will head back to the Olympic Peninsula if I feel the heat is too much for me. It is 5 to 10 degrees cooler in Port Townsend. But I really don't  want to get into the labor day traffic on the ferry crossing so for now I will stay put where I am.

This morning I need to saw some boards to create a small removable extension surface to the front edge of my new desk. That is for when I need to use my vinyl cutter which I plan to cut with most of the hours today while I have shore power.​
Time for some breakfast which today is a hard boiled egg, slice of ham and some apple slices. No cooking required, I dont want to be bothered with cooking and dish washing this morning.​

Hey Nature Lover,

Good to see your temperatures are starting to fall off. You're headed into my favorite time of the year. I keep an online subscription to the old home town newspaper up there in eastern Ohio and I see from the weather report that their summer heat has finally given up too. Their daytime highs are now in the 70s with lows at night down in the 40s and 50s. I'd love to have a little piece of that but since I'm in coastal Texas right now it's only a dream. I do try to make it up thataway in person every October, and last year it was perfect -- red and gold leaves and cool breezes every day and frost on the punkin'.

Enjoy :)

Johnny

Thanks travel around I’m going to look that up. Never did anything like that before till I got here sort of fun. And yes desert sailing swimming when it’s in the 80s is wonderful. This time of the year or water is much warmer than it had been in the spring. Even our ocean resorts in Jersey and Delaware are cold in the spring and early summer it’s only at the end of August early September that you really get nice temperature water. And I just like to walk in the water because as I said I don’t have to use canes or a walker. I think it’s good exercise.

3 AM this morning I slipped on my stool climbing into the van. It was wet because of the rain and I went out to P. I didn’t hit the ground but I held myself in the strangest position for about five minutes trying to get myself picked up so I could move. I’m glad I didn’t hit the ground and have to lay there till somebody found me because I was in my under shorts. Might have frightened somebody. I’m paying for it now knees ankles hips all swollen and Hurting. big skin tare on my one leg, About 3 inches long.But thank God I was able to get up and get back in the vehicle.

In the last hour we had about an inch of rain. All the moisture is making the van a bit funky. I’ve got a big fan running. I think my laundry got damp that would explain some of the funkiness. I’ll better take it to the laundry tomorrow. What’s a good way to make the van smell better when it gets that funky dampness or the sweat in the summer? Part of it is I need to do my laundry more often and close the window near the laundry so it doesn’t get damp but when it’s hot I want everyone to open. Temperatures are moderate and they say the weekend it’s going to be beautiful here. That means it’s time for me to go up the mountain. God bless the van dwellers all of them

nature lover said:
3 AM this morning I slipped...

What’s a good way to make the van smell better when it gets that funky dampness or the sweat in the summer?
Ouch!  So sorry that happened!

I think you're on the right track with open windows and timely laundry.  Usually, I don't like air freshener-ish smells, but have found these work well, and the Pure Linen "flavor" is not very strong (also available in Lavendar).  I cover the opening part way with painter's tape, put it in a bowl, and slip it under the bed.  The collected moisture needs to be emptied from time to time, but they last pretty well.  https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/...eshener-Pure-Linen-8-Ounce-Pack-of-2/43003091

You can also do the old tent camping thing, and put your bedding outside in the morning to air out and dry in the sun on the first clear day.

Thanks for all the bread baking encouragement!  I'm looking forward to experimenting with slow cooker/solar no-knead baking as well as beer bread.  Can recipes be cut in half successfully?  (I always make a full recipe of pizza dough and freeze half.)

JohnnyM said:
You're headed into my favorite time of the year. I keep an online subscription to the old home town newspaper up there in eastern Ohio..
Ah yes, I loved fall in Ohio and missed it terribly when we moved to Texas.  Winter?  Not so much.

nature lover said:
..... In the last hour we had about an inch of rain.  All the moisture is making the van a bit funky. I’ve got a big fan running. I think my laundry got damp that would explain some of the funkiness. I’ll better take it to the laundry tomorrow. What’s a good way to make the van smell better when it gets that funky dampness or the sweat in the summer?  Part of it is I need to do my laundry more often and close the window near the laundry so it doesn’t get damp but when it’s hot I want everyone to open. Temperatures are moderate and they say the weekend it’s going to be beautiful here. That means it’s time for me to go up the mountain. God bless the van dwellers all of them
I have noticed an elevaated level of humidity in my rig lately as well and am bothered enough where I need a solution. I don't have much in the way of dirty laundry etc because I still am parked in the house driveway. But I do notice a bit of "green smog" hanging in the nose.

I don't have any kind of real fan to circulate at this time and I know I would appreciate one for sure. I want to try out one of those dehumidifier things or  packets or anything really  that could help remove the humidity. Ill be using patchouli and sandal wood oil to remove the stank,.. just need to get rid of the dank.

Hope your leg heals up quickly.. stay out of the water now.. no need to give a home to amoebas in your leg.

I am doing my large bag of laundry in the morning And I bought a vanilla candle burn in the van I think both will help. I’m going to start storing my laundry in a waterproof bag. I think that The laundry getting damp from all the rain (Some coming in the window which was slightly open ) is The source of the funky ness. If that doesn’t work I’m going to have to change the location of my laundry bag. Of course maybe it’s me that stinks. OUCH

Get everything dried out with dry heat and ventilation. I carry a small ceramic AC heater and an extension cord that even if I have to get a cheap full hookup site it is worth it to get everything dry. Usually I can find an outlet at a motel or an auto parts store they will let me use for a few hours a few parking lots have outlets for diesel vehicles to plug in in winter. Fish cleaning stations have outlets for electric knives. Restrooms have outlets for hair driers. My cord is 100 feet before you ask! Lol!!!

Wipe down the walls and surfaces with a solution of vinegar and water. Also add a half cup to the washing macine. Be sure to wash yor bedding as well as your clothes and curtains too. Fabrics hang onto musty smells . Vinegar kills the bacteria, mildew, mold and when you use it for laundry the small amount of residual it keeps stored clothes from developing mildew. . The smell of the vingar dissipates fairly soon. As far as cleaning solutions it is a van dwellers best option and must have one. I have a spray bottle of water with a little vinegar in it handy at all times. That is what i use to wash dishes, clean countertops etc. Effective, sanitizes and very inexpensive.  Vinegar and water is also good for washing windows.

When you get hot and sweaty water with a little vinegar makes a cooling sponge bath that soothes and reduces any rickly heat rash. An olld fashioned remedy that has mostly been forgotten. As to smelly laundy buy a dry bag that is meant for warer proofing. They are sold in sporting goods stores that carry camping supplies. That will contain the odors of the dirty clothes.

Good morning NatureLover,

Safety tip: Do not step outside in the middle of the night.
Pee in jug.
Dump jug in morning.

Geezer pro tip: Try to keep skin tears smaller than the size of one large band-aid. Much more efficient and cost-effective that way.

OK, just kidding (except for the part about peeing in the jug). Drink plenty of liquids and you should feel better in a few days.

Have a speedy recovery,

Johnny