24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow - heat exhaustion for Maki and a heat stroke for nature lover!!! I am also subject to getting repeated heat exhaustion and have nearly died from it on multiple occasions. Finally realized my hypertension medication could be contributing to that problem. Hydrochlorothiazide. Last year I bought a Camelbak for taking water with me when I hike, but I haven't used it yet. My current strategy is to stay inside near an air conditioner when it is hot out. Usually.

Get well soon nature lover. Your dictation works fine... be glad to see more updates from you.

Something else I did to stay out of the sun - I bought a large UV umbrella (aka. golf umbrella) and I have been known to walk around with it on a hot day.

Nature Lover, wishing you a speedy recovery and many more enjoyable miles on the road in your future. Heat can be very hard on people with underlying medical issues including just getting older. It is a real risk for Van life because AC is difficult to achieve when boondocking.

Last summer when I was boondocking I used two rechargable oPolar fans that Bob recommended in one of his videos. Worked great! Still got hot but I parked under trees, opened the van side doors (I have two) and used the fans. Survived. I think refrigerated water helps too.

Just spent a couple of hours trying to get this computer out of what might be software conflict hell. But it is also time for it to get a new hard drive before long. When I get to Port Townsend I will see if the computer repair service I used to use when I lived there is still around. Computer repair prices in Seattle are way too expensive for my budget and have them perform a bit of cosmetic update on it. Plus my new PC does not want to play nicely with my iPhone so I will let them sort that out before I take this older PC in.

Backed up my critical files of course just in case :) I don't want to be caught without my 3D CAD program for long as I use it to do design work for my Etsy store items and I have new products I want to get designed for this holiday season.

But now I need to finish a bit of packing..sorting out some sewing supplies. I am taking my Bernina along for at least a little while so I can finish the canvas work I want to do from my rig as far as making some awnings and such. Then I will likely sell it.

Nature Love,

Use an umbrella for shade, even when taking a dip in the pond. On land, I keep a spray bottle handy and spritz with it often. That works great in tandem with a fan. Above all, drink water in doses....at least an ounce every quarter hour. Take care and get back to nomad life soon.

Heat fatigue is cumulative (something I learned in some occupational training), so it is essential to have cooling breaks.  I have witnessed a number of people collapse without warning.  Hydration, of course, is also key, and so is maintaining electrolyte balance.  I'm no fan of sports drinks, but they may have their place to supplement water lacking other options.  Personally, I think watermelon is a great gift in this regard.  It is always refreshing, full of water, and potassium, etc.  And it "shows" up at the right time, in places it's needed most :).

A strong word of caution:  NEVER apply ice/cold packs to the chest!

Sofisintown said:
This easy rider has been in Texas and Ohio and many places in between and beyond. But I haven't been in WY or the grand canyon and the Pacific NW. So there I 'll go first...    :D
I highly reccomend the drive thru Wind River canyon, from Boysen Dam to Thermopolis, then bask in the hot springs at Thermopolis. 
-crofter

GypsyJan said:
I need a sticker for my forehead:

I do NOT want a partner.
I do not want one here or there.
I do not want one anywhere.
I want to travel by myself.
No schedule to meet. No people to greet.
Just me, the camper, an atlas, and the open road!
Ditto. But the caravans are fun, and other meetups like RTR.
-crofter

maki2 said:
Well, still not on the road....
At least now I have time 3 more days time to finish packing, cleaning and organizing without working at a literally killer pace....
I still cannot believe that you are kicked to the curb during covid, apparently the son believes in disposable people. Maybe he will be cured one day and grow a heart.  Last time I did a major redo on the van I spent a month working on it every day. I make a list and then as I make progress on the list I can refer back to it and stay focused on task. Some people could probably do that in their head, but not me. 
Stay safe! Blessings on embarking. -crofter

VanFan said:
I'm no fan of sports drinks, but they may have their place to supplement water lacking other options.  
I'm interested in your comments on the following ...

From what I've read, sports drinks are better for quick replenishment after hard exertions rather than for extended use, as over the course of a day. 

However, I spent 20 years doing 6-10 hour hikes in the mountains of Colorado. This involved medium level, long-term activity. So my scheme was to carry 2 quarts of Gatorade watered down 50%, as well as another pint of plain water. I never had any problems.

However, there is an issue with many current sports drinks. Some like Gatorade use dextrose (sugar), but others like Powerade use high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) instead. I stay away from the later. It's my understanding dextrose is identical with regular sugar and is easily digested by the body, but that HFCS is mainly digested by the liver, and too much can cause liver problems. HFCS of course is found in soda pop and tons of processed foods these days.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dextrose
"Dextrose is the name of a simple sugar that is made from corn and is chemically identical to glucose, or blood sugar".

http://www.digestivedistress.com/fructose-and-its-impact
"While glucose can be utilized (metabolized) by just about every cell in the human body, fructose cannot. Fructose needs to be processed and stored in the liver as a back-up energy source called glycogen. Once the liver's storage capacity is filled, then excess fructose is converted by the liver into various products; one main product is triglycerides. ....
The processing of excess fructose by the liver is not an energy-free task. There are consequences to be paid for making the liver work harder ....".

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif](NOTE: I'm not a doctor but I play one in my own personal habitat).[/font]

Hello fellow nomads things are much better than they were yesterday but not good yet or not great yet I’m hoping to get back in the wan and on the woad soon, we’ll see. I just got to say if you are hesitating about getting in the van and going don’t hesitate anymore don’t wait to you get old and sick. Don’t waste time, you never know how much of that precious commodity you got. Anyone remember the movie Hunt for red October one of the saddest lines was the Russian who was dying saying I had so wanted to see Montana. Enough of the down stuff let’s get to the up stuff. So my nurse wanted to write something down Reaching into her pocket the only thing she found was a rectal thermometer she exclaimed oh no some “#%& hole “ has my pen. What can I say I like politically incorrect humor. Not having the guts to say something politically incorrect ruins a lot of humor. Good day mates

crofter said:
I highly reccomend the drive thru Wind River canyon, from Boysen Dam to Thermopolis, then bask in the hot springs at Thermopolis. 
-crofter
Then stop in Cody and enter Yellowstone from that direction. Also, widely considered to be one of most scenic drives in the US is Hwy 212 between Yellowstone and Red Lodge to the northeast, which is a cool biker town (ok, I just made up that last part).

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/road-trips/beartooth-highway-scenic-drive

crofter said:
-crofter
Thermopolis is brutal with the sulfur/egg smell.. 

I remember there used to be a swinging rope bridge that crossed over some of the springs from high above.. at least it seemed high as a kid.

I never made it across the bridge.. siblings would always rush ahead and start swinging it... I was terrified I would be flung into the boiling waters below.

If anyone goes there I suggest walking across.. or at least attempting it. I think it is a common thing that those on one side swing the bridge and it wasn't just my siblings ganging up on the oldest. I did make them all pay for it later :cool:

Post a pic  of your attempt!

nature lover said:
....I’m hoping to get back in the wan and on the woad soon...
Must be plain talk for travellin. Your jokes crack me up, don't stop. -crofter

desert_sailing said:
Thermopolis is brutal with the sulfur/egg smell.. 

I remember there used to be a swinging rope bridge that crossed over some of the springs from high above.. at least it seemed high as a kid.

I never made it across the bridge.. siblings would always rush ahead and start swinging it... I was terrified I would be flung into the boiling waters below.

If anyone goes there I suggest walking across.. or at least attempting it. I think it is a common thing that those on one side swing the bridge and it wasn't just my siblings ganging up on the oldest. I did make them all pay for it later :cool:

Post a pic  of your attempt!
Those were the days. There is a new bridge now with none of our autographs on it. I wonder what happened to the original? The mineral terraces are still quite  beautiful.

Sulfur smell is bc yes there are real healing minerals in that water. When taken internally Sulfur is used medicinally as an antibiotic. 

There is also a really good hardware store in Thermop, just as you come into town from the south. In case you need any nuts and bolts.
-crofter