24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Christine Angel said:
Please anyone with advice for an old gal that is alone and has never did anything like this...

There's plenty of advice around here. Everyone has an opinion! :D  Ask, if there's anything specific you're wondering about.

Welcome to the forum and to our chat about anything thread.

When do you think you'll be able to get your van?

Thank you! I'm hoping by this Oct. I live in Illinois just north of St Louis. So, hitting the road westbound by winter would be ideal!

I always tell everyone to watch Bob’s videos on the absolute basics of living in a car. Because that’s the total beginning of how you do it. Then you go up from there step by step. I see new people who don’t even have a van yet asking complex questions about solar and such. It sounds like you’re starting well.

Hello all - temps in pa dropped a little and thank God humidity dropped even more. Still jumping in the pond in a minute.

I was not around for the discussion regarding someone looking for a nomad partner. I am looking for one also. Several conditions for my partner.
1. Must be A women (I am old fashioned)
2. Must be willing to make it a legally binding marriage from the beginning (told you I am old fashioned)
3. Must own new and professionally out fitted sprinter type, four wheel drive with all the Best solar panels, most modern batteries, best internet connection, shower with hot water, and more.
4. Must have no other living relatives
5. Must have large bank account.
6. Must own a Large gated hard wood mountain property with Beautiful views and swimming pond and an equally nice ocean side subtropical property
7. No requirements for looks, beauty, or size (I am not picky)
8. Must be terminally ill with short life expectancy
NOTE - I am willing to compromise on number 1, provided that the rest are met; some things are worth comprising For

????

Just my a temp at some nomad humor. Did it offend you tx2 sturgis? If it offends anyone I will ask a”no-mod” to take it down. I thought it was humorous - l love humor but don,t want to offend.

nature lover said:
Just my a temp at some nomad humor.  Did it offend you tx2 sturgis?  If it offends anyone I will ask a”no-mod” to take it down.  I thought it was humorous - l love humor but don,t want to offend.
Harmless joke.. it was clear..

It does  indicate what unfortunately is the way people posting for "companions" have in mind more often than not...

What you are willing to compromise on was hilarious.. got to have priorities!

nature lover said:
Just my a temp at some nomad humor.  Did it offend you tx2 sturgis?  If it offends anyone I will ask a”no-mod” to take it down.  I thought it was humorous - l love humor but don,t want to offend.
Not to worry. If HDR don't like it, he'll damn well tell you so.

“Gold digger” I’m sure is a term he is familiar with but not in that context as in must own shovels! Lol!!!

I need a sticker for my forehead:

I do NOT want a partner.
I do not want one here or there.
I do not want one anywhere.
I want to travel by myself.
No schedule to meet. No people to greet.
Just me, the camper, an atlas, and the open road!

nature lover said:
 Did it offend you tx2 sturgis? 

Nope, but apparently my witty and sarcastic reply offended you. It was a play on words: un-see = un-read 

Being 'offended' is often a choice we make, but it's one I don't make. But that doesn't mean I won't post replies and comments.

And yes, I 'get' that it was dry or sarcastic humor, and so was my reply.

GypsyJan said:
I need a sticker for my forehead:

I do NOT want a partner.
I do not want one here or there.
I do not want one anywhere.
I want to travel by myself.
No schedule to meet. No people to greet.
Just me, the camper, an atlas, and the open road!

Dr Seuss called, and he wants his royalties.

:p

Gypsy Jan that was great I am a fan of Dr. Seuss. If you know anything about our Pennsylvania German culture here then maybe the following make you smile. I have been working for sometime on a Pennsylvania German Dr. Seuss. In order to avoid copyright problems I change the name Seuss. To souse. Souse is a popular Pennsylvania German food that contains pickled pigs feet and other delicacies. One of the best titles I am working on is his Green eggs and ham. In our culture it’s red beat eggs and scrapple. Another dr. Seuss book is Marvin k Mooney will you please go now, My PA German work is titled Marvin K Martin will you please milk the cows. Both Marvin as a first name and Martin as a last name are so common with our Mennonite neighbors around here I thought it fit. Then there is the ever popular the cat in the hat. In our Pennsylvania German culture it is the Katz in the straw hoot. Katz is cat in our native language and hoot is hat. Of course most of we plain men wear a straw hat. I have much more on this subject but I won’t bore you the only ones who can get the humor here are Pennsylvania Germans And those familiar with our heritage.

Well, still not on the road. I bent the latch on my coupler, had the wheel on the tounge raise up but went stupidly went over a speed bump and that did it. I will be off to by the part today. Fortunately the place that did the controller install on my brakes can get to the work on Monday. The RV repair place across the street from them can't get to it for 3 weeks but at least they do have the part in stock. So I will drive up there today and grab the part I need and have it ready for Monday.

It was a tough day but when I hit the speed bump I was parking lot moving at low speed when it became uncoupled
I got it sitting on the ball enough to carefully move it into a pull through parking slot. I called for a two but they never showed up. Another long story in itself that should never have happened in a city with tons of tow trucks available. I think I will change to AAA.

At least now I have time 3 more days time to finish packing, cleaning and organizing without working at a literally killer pace. Surprisingly my workshop mate's son was actually understanding as he too had something similar happen to him.

So no major tragedy, just some inconvenience that in the long run bought me a few extra days time to get finished packing and organizing. I might even have time to connect my solar panel to the controller so I can run my fridge and charge other stuff. The wires are all in, I just have to screw the panel to the wall and hook the wires to it. Then figure out how to read all the info on the control panel :)

@tx2sturgis - I have a van and a cargo trailer that is somewhat converted - it has a queen sized bed on the wall - TV that runs on a little solar panel on the roof... radio, a few cabinets. I'm planning to take the trailer with me on my Idaho trip for my son-in-law to sleep in on the way up there.. as we may sleep one night on the road... he is going to retrieve his 35' skoolie. I'm going to empty out my small storage locker... which will go in the van and I'll sleep in the trailer on the way back. The problem with the trailer is that when I go into a gas station driveway the jack scrapes on the ground - I can't get it to go high enough for a good clearance.

@maki - glad you have a few more days to get things together. Sorry your trailer had a problem. All these trailer tongue issues are giving me concerns about my own expected August trip - but okay - I managed to do this all the way from Idaho to Siskiyou County and I think I can have another go at it in the other direction.

Latest posts