24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Qxxx said:
What map are you looking at? I don't see anything there on Incident Web. Prineville is the home base of a major wildfire fighting outfit. Every summer, there are usually fires all over the Bend area, especially on US 20 over the mountain to the Willamette Valley.

I was looking at the situational awareness map.
https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/

Happy Birthday Nature Lover. My BD was the 2nd. My father's was the 27th...he would have been 104, but instead went to Heaven in 1997.

Thanks gypsy Jan I am only 65 today but I feel like 104 God bless you

It will be one more day to get out of here. Made progress packing but not quite enough.
I will have to come back and finish loading things after I get the trailer brakes installed.

Glad to hear the moving will soon be over! Whenever I move my feet hurt SO bad. How are you holding up? Just think of all the relaxing you'll soon be able to do!

Fire news - all is well. There's still an evacuation warning but the fire hasn't moved any closer. They now say it is only eight acres, burning in steep terrain. I heard it is on the other side of the ridge. Not much smoke in the air right now.

Sure is hot here in southern AZ. It was 120 degrees when I went over to do laundry today. I used a cooling towel on my neck to keep cool, relatively. 

I have switched to night shift, and do most of my outside work between 3AM and 8AM when it is coolest. It is currently 86 degrees, the low, so I am going out to enjoy it.
-crofter

You are tough crofter, for living there. Personal saving grace, cooling towel on the neck. We're gonna have 100F here for the next week and that's bad enough.

And August isn't even here yet.

I'm amazed... I've never lived in 120 degrees.

Here, it is only 59 degrees right now and the highs all week should be in the 80's. Good for the fire fighters to have lower temperatures!

travelaround said:
I'm amazed... I've never lived in 120 degrees.

Here, it is only 59 degrees right now and the highs all week should be in the 80's. Good for the fire fighters to have lower temperatures!
I am doing a tile job, and it is too hot for both me and the tile during the day so I work at night. I cover everything with reflectix when I am not working on it. I think we are past the dry heat of July and on to the muggy heat of August. Drip. 

I am cheating a little , though. I have covered parking so that helps the van out quite a bit. It is usually at least 10 degrees cooler in the van. And I can always turn on the air conditioning wherever I am. 
~crofter

@crofter - I'm so happy you have air conditioning!!! What are you tiling?

I kind of wish I had a big project to work on but really... not time for that now. I need to work toward my trip to Idaho.

Hello everyone! I'm a newbie and have never been on any forum. I need as much advice as anyone can give me. I would truly appreciate it! I need to get out of my current situation. I've always loved to travel, camp, fish outdoors etc. I have dreamed of being a nomand, living free, enjoying nature, being me with no judgements. I want to start living again! I've saved a little money. Looking for dependable vans. Making lots of lists. Selling things. Hoping to start my new journey soon. Please anyone with advice for an old gal that is alone and has never did anything like this, I would be forever grateful! Thank you, Peace!

Christine Angel said:
I've saved a little money. Looking for dependable vans. Making lots of lists. Selling things. 
CA, it sounds like you're off to a good start. Keep going, :).

Qxxx said:
I wonder if the book gives advice on fire danger. Not mentioned in the article.

Definitely an important consideration! Might be good to park near the river - like at Savage Rapids. I did that a few nights.

Keep in mind there's no fire, 99.9% of the time.

savagerapids.jpg

Attachments

• savagerapids.jpg
    savagerapids.jpg
    698.4 KB · Views: 6
travelaround said:
Keep in mind there's no fire, 99.9% of the time.
Yeah, that's how life works, 99.9% of the time, lol.

Latest posts