24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a look at the forecast on my iphone. No rain today, some mid level chance of rain for the next 4 days, then after that it is showing nothing but sunshine. It will be interesting to see if the long range forecast is accurate. Unfortunately totally sunny days in August is not the best of forecast. Partly cloudy afternoons mean much cooler temperatures for August and early September.

Yep, 100 degrees here at Bullfrog, Utah today and we did have some clouds earlier! Moab got flooded yesterday and I got 28 drops on my windshield! Lol!!!

Took a look at the forecast on my iphone. No rain today, some mid level chance of rain for the next 4 days, then after that it is showing nothing but sunshine. It will be interesting to see if the long range forecast is accurate. Unfortunately totally sunny days in August is not the best of forecast. Partly cloudy afternoons mean much cooler temperatures for August and early September.
We got (I kid you not) 14-1/2" in 12 hours. No issues at the S&B, but cars were nearly completely submerged a few blocks away, as in you could still see the roofs. At least we've been getting under 80F at night lately.

Oh wow... that’s a lot of rain! 14 1/2”? Crazy! We have a day of rain tomorrow. I’m liking this retirement gig... I am losing track of days. Haha! I am pushing it some on my hands. But in a few weeks I have to be ready to go. This wasn’t just a hook up and go rig, but it’s not terrible either. I’m going to miss the truck camper, but I think I’ll be a bit more... broke. Yep, I’ll be more broke! Haha! I figure once I have surgery I have to be totally packed and ready to go. House ready for winter and yard picked up and put away. Bad enough now, with no hands it’ll be rougher. No, their not cutting my hands off. I mean I won’t be able to use them. ( I may see if I can get cleaned out like a colonoscopy so maybe have a day or two I don’t have to worry about those issues, haha.) Hope to get sleep tonight. Last night was a no... sick of the whole dr thing. Now to see mine I have to wait til mid November... I’ll be so gone I’ll be looking at getting different license plates... haha! I guess when it comes time for a preop they squeeze you in...

Ben you mean they are going to operate on both your hands at the same time? I have never heard of doctors doing that before. Typically they do one hand at a time then let it heal enough to be reasonably functional for things such as driving, feeding and dressing yourself, which is usually at least 4 to 6 weeks before they operate on the other hand. That was true for my hand surgeries.

Hoping those surgeries go fantastic and the recovery time is speedy as well.

I don’t know maki2... if they only do one well, I’ll be in only half the pain. Haha. I’m not sticking around any longer then that. But I need at least one good hand. My dominant right hand is the worst, so at least take care of that one.
Another horrible night... no sleep! Makes today barely productive. I can hardly keep my eyes open. So anything I do today would need to be on the simple side. Maybe a nap... going to be raining soon!

I am pushing it some on my hands. ... I figure once I have surgery I have to be totally packed and ready to go.
Yikes to all of it.
Some questions (no need to answer if you don't feel like it, but maybe think about) ...
Have they shared a post-op plan with you yet?
Do you know how long the recovery time is predicted to be?
Do you have someone to hang out with you for the first x days?
Do you have a Plan B (or C or D) including for the unthinkable (having to slightly delay your launch date)?
Is there any chance that "pushing it" too much now could affect the success of the surgery? (hope not) (but have you checked?)
You've checked out these surgeons really carefully, right? they have all the right accreditations, plenty of experience, good reviews, etc?
Is there anyone you could ask for a little more help/backup? and even if you don't really want to do that, would it in the cold clear light o' dawn be a good idea?
Good luck!

Yesterday evening a friend out walking his dog looked in through my open door and said my trailer interior looks "Western" in style. He could very well be right as it does look like the inside of a saloon in a western movie after one of those big brawls where all the cowboys destroy everything.

Nice to have a new tounge in cheek description of my decorating style in case someone is foolish enough to think I would actually have a themed style.

Last edited:
Oh, this is not good... the pain Ben is in - to consider doing both hands at one time. When will this operation take place?

Maki2 - I used to call my decor strategy "early yard sale rustic" . . . now I just call it "modern trailer" or something like that. So much brown. If I owned the trailer I'd probably paint things white, to brighten the place up a bit.

We are in SISTERS Oregon.........dispersed camping..........Last week spotted a small MOUSE in the engine bay

I got a snap trap and finally caught the bugger last nite......Cheeze Please......I'll reset til ?

DESEND ON BEND is this weekend in nearby LaPine Oregon..............No Thank-You

From Q Chatter.............Interstate 10 in California has Eastbound lanes Closed/washed out 70 miles from Quartzsite

https://www.latimes.com/california/...-interstate-10-near-california-arizona-border
We're as dry as a popcorn fart up here.....................Planning to be in Pahrump in October

My running boards got some mud on them from recent storms so I got out my mini broom to clean off the dried mud before heading into town. I just happened to be facing my driver's side front tire and spotted fresh grass stalks sitting on top of the tire. Popped the hood open and no visible nest but some mouse size dropping around the top of the shock/spring rubber gaskets. I sauced that area and the pathway up inside with tabasco liquid and then when I got back from errands I put out snap traps and sticky traps inside the engine compartment and on the ground near the tires. A fellow camper caught 3 mice this week with spring traps set on the ground near his tires.

The sun will be shining on Sunday and Monday so I hope to pack up on Sunday and hitch up on Monday morning. I plan on heading to just outside the South Entrance to the Grand Canyon Park.

I will mosey on over to Pahrump around the end of September if there is not a late heat wave in Nevada. I won't be volunteering for the van build as my Holiday season Etsy sales would not allow me to be a dependable worker.

But I do hope to get a helper in Pahrump to help as a second pair of hands to put up my ceiling vinyl covering. Not signing up for that help from HOWA. I have all the materials and supplies. I just need a few hours of help from an assistant to apply glue and then stick it up. Contact cement is so touchy for mistakes in positioning that it needs a person on each end of a piece. You only get one try at it.

Last edited:
Yep, 100 degrees here at Bullfrog, Utah today and we did have some clouds earlier! Moab got flooded yesterday and I got 28 drops on my windshield! Lol!!!

I saw videos of Moab a day or two ago that looked like it was a bit sporty for a while. Been several problems in Flagstaff and other places also. Pretty crazy rains after several years of drought.

Travel around... I hear ya.. I’m tearing out some walls and putting in a much (I think) better paneling that’ll brighten up and just can the brown everything wood look. As if anything is wood in here. Then trim it out with a wood trim. Real wood!
Been inquiring about what’s going to happen. Basically so far I have to wait til the 16th to know anything.
Doug... dry as a popcorn fart isn’t all bad. Just don’t light one! Haha! Your living the dream! Kira is doing that dreaming thing dogs do. Must be dreaming about blacky!

Woke up and looked at the weather report. Looks like monsoon season begins abating next week. It is already better, no heavy rains now.

Woke up in a "I can't stand all this mess"and mood and immediately started putting stuff where it belongs. Of course that mood quickly faded away, as it always has. Oh well now I will just have to keep going with the cleanup process without that extra high gear. It sure was nice while it lasted. Maybe I could create a self hypnosis recording that starts playing at 5am so I wake up raring to go, full of determined energy at 6am?

Unintentional discovery. I had a sticky mouse trap sitting out. They have a peanut butter scent built into them to attract mice but I had added any additional dab of peanut butter. I had it in my engine compartment while the hood was up. I quickly learned it also works fantastic as a sticky fly and wasp trap. I will tape a mouse sized one to the wall in my trailer in a location where my hair or clothes won't get stuck to it. If I add a tiny smear of jelly it will grab those pesky fruit flies as well! My trailer is too small and low ceilinged for a hanging fly trap. The sticky mouse trap is going to be a great alternative!

SOSorry to hear that
Better then waking up to pegged out in ppainain. I can’t even think about using my hands for anything right now. So my clutter from today will have to stay. Long night ahead!
Sorry to hear that pain is too much for you.

Because I am a side sleeper I am always tucking a hand under my pillow. When I broke some bones in my wrist it was the same situation with all night pain. Of course I had to spend a couple of months in a protective wrist brace and also resort to having my hand brace attached to its own pillow at night so that I could not move it underneath my head thereby putting pressure on it. The little extra elevation of the pillow seemed to help relieve some of the pain.

I strongly suspect are using some type of hand splint that would work for your specific bone issues to help restrict movement.

Last edited:
Finally slept between 9 and 10 this morning. What a night! Kira tried so hard to help me out. She won’t leave my side.
Even crawled in my bed a few minutes... well, that was because we had a serious thunderstorm! Haha. Rain off and on a couple days this week. Then picture perfect.
Maki2... used that fine tooth blade. Cut my table top down a bit. Perfect size now!
Guess the rest of my projects will have to wait til I’m out there and doing better. I better just muster up what I can to be loaded and ready to go...

Um no on the splint... I’ve tried different braces and they feel good for a little bit then can’t get em off fast enough. Even the ortho guy agreed... not to use a brace. These bones or cartilages are not pointing correctly and any pressure would increase the pressure and pain.

Well Ben I guess you will just have to stick to doctoring yourself by ingesting maple syrup on buttermilk pancakes. Then getting cuddles from Kira while you take a whole lot of short naps

Those sawblades I found at Home Depot were a real bargain price but surprisingly they were also excellent quality blades. Of course I was also very impressed with how perfectly aligned you had gotten that older table saw. It is a gem!