24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooray, last rainy day for at least a week! Only one day with a bit of 16mph wind at mid afternoon. Not too hot during the day. Not too cold at night. Has prices have dropped a bit. Good time to play tourist and site see a little bit more often this next month. That is something I have not done for a while so it is past due.

I apologize for bellyaching about my pain deal. I’m kinda embarrassed about that. I’m back inside the 1 - 10 scale for pain. Sounds like I have to wait like 60 days from date of cortisone shot for it to get out of my system for surgery.
I’m going to have to forgo anymore improvements on my rig for now... rats!

Ben, I have had over a dozen orthopedic surgeries and I have bad arthritis in knees, shoulders and hands. I have been using Mary Jane's cannabis infused salve to help with mypain. The salve is 270mg of THC and 90 mg of ***. Its goes to work in minutes and lasts for hours. If you have legal marijuana sales nearby you should try it. I hope you find some relief until you can have your surgery.

Attachments

• 16618246401211631920963677083213.jpg
    16618246401211631920963677083213.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 0
Ben it sounds like we will be seeing you at a YARC and or Pirate Camp gathering in December. The wintertime gathering won't really start be starting without you as many people do not arrive before that. So you will show up right on time!

Ben, I have had over a dozen orthopedic surgeries and I have bad arthritis in knees, shoulders and hands. I have been using Mary Jane's cannabis infused salve to help with mypain. The salve is 270mg of THC and 90 mg of ***. Its goes to work in minutes and lasts for hours. If you have legal marijuana sales nearby you should try it. I hope you find some relief until you can have your surgery.
Arnica cream also works well, but I'm all for the Cannabis as a healing solution - it is "the" human companion plant and is good for a lot of issues. I "had" serious Rheumatoid Arthritis and was on a cane for over 1-1/2 years with sharp intense pain ... it is gone now and my movement is normal - no pain/no cane. I basically followed Dr. Robert Morse (on Youtube - a naturopath in Florida). I ate nothing but fresh fruits and veggies which triggered a body detox (runny nose, and typical cold symptoms) but it didn't take too long and my body repaired itself. Another benefit is the diet is cheap, could eat what I needed to be satisfied and I lost weight. I highly recommend looking into him and doing the cleanse - you probably don't even need his supplements (he says that in one of the buried videos), but if you can manage a parasite cleanse (SCRAM or Black Walnut capsules or his parasite cleanse) that is probably a good idea anyway. I still have old sports-related injuries, but the arthritis no longer causes me a problem.

Today is one of the sorting and packing up any tools or supplies I do not need for the next build project. I am now down to only 3 projects left on the list.

1.Door for ventilated solar controller cabinet. That is what I will be doing next.

2. Ceiling vinyl, it requires a helper.

3. Odds and ends of wiring including ceiling lights which have to get done after the ceiling vinyl gets glued up.

I also hope to get out my sewing machine, pants need hemming, a pillow sham and door curtain to make.

yikes!!! Another rat chewed the opposite end of the same wire that goes to the transmission solenoid on my Honda Element. Caused the same issue again. This being a 3 day holiday I am obviously not going to be able to get it fixed anytime soon. Well at least the repair cost is basically close to being a known figure so that should make the insurance claim go much faster this time.

The dealership did wrap the repaired wire from the last instance with special rodent resistant/deterent tape wrap which is likely why the rat chewed it right at the plug connection where the tape did not fully cover the intersection at the plug. I am going to ask them to armor plate that area this time around. Or at least do that myself after it gets fixed.

yikes!!! Another rat chewed the opposite end of the same wire that goes to the transmission solenoid on my Honda Element. Caused the same issue again. This being a 3 day holiday I am obviously not going to be able to get it fixed anytime soon. Well at least the repair cost is basically close to being a known figure so that should make the insurance claim go much faster this time.
They sell it online, in case you didn't know:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/oem-parts/honda-tape-rodent-19mm-20m-40192317
Good luck!

Rats! Maki2

Two days here of under 70 degrees... doesn’t get any better. Then right back to eighty! Haha! Not being able to use my hands for much is getting me to rest some. Yesterday and today my right hand is pretty useless. So I’m trying to just be useless myself. Haha. Good day to take Kira for a walk in the woods. She’s having so much fun chasing squirrels and mice. I’m getting her to not chase the bigger things like deer. She listens well.
Thanks all for great advice... I do some of that stuff. And yes it helps... but there isn’t much that does more then take the edge off. I have to cleanse now and again to keep the old body functioning anyways. Haha. And yes, it does help feel better. But I also am not giving up certain things that I enjoy. (When I’m not doing the cleanse thing)... but I try to be very careful not to over do... the thing that bothers me most on my hands is I’ve had many X-rays in the past and this has been visible all along. You pay an expert over and above your doctor to read these things and they have never said anything.
Meanwhile i think of all you guys... scattered all over the place and soon many will be heading back to the desert to duck out of the cold. Yeah Maki... I’m not going to rush... I may spend some time with kids. Christmas week my son got us reservations in a campgrounds near Apache Junction... his in-laws live in Mesa. My daughter in Salt Lake (City not the lake, not like she’s a mermaid or anything, haha). Is going to try and grab one of my grandkids from Logan and come and camp that week. Should be back to Quartzite by New Year’s Eve.
I’m going to pull my trailer up the north shore in a couple weeks to have a better idea how this thing is going to pull. I ordered some parts for my hitch to make it a little updated and sometimes a guy just has to get away! I’m not expecting to put on more then 4 or 500 miles total. But there’s a good backroad to get there from here that’ll be perfect for me to take. Oh wait... that’s next week. Sunday to Tuesday. Then the next Friday finally see surgeon to see what size hooks I’ll get to replace these hands. Just in time for pirate camp. Haha.

The sky is overcast this morning, a good match for my mood and energy. Hopefully both situations quickly get sunnier.

Going to get through this weekend using a technique I learned when I accidently tuned into a show about procrastinating hoarders who are overwhelmed by the size of a task. That technique is to work on a task in 10 or 15 minute increments. Good advise, it is effective. Often those short increments of work help you get settled down and improve focus. Baby steps on chores and build task are exactly what I need to do to help get me through this long weekend until I can get my car in for repair. Besides I am out of adult beverages or any other "mind enhancing" products, so work will have to do.. unless I binge watch videos.

Last edited:
Having fun with friends this weekend. It has helped lift my spirits up out of the OMG another rat chewed wire to fix doldrums. Of course it is not yet fixed but I will start arranging for the insurance estimate and the repair appointment tommorow. one of my favorite women friends arrived to camp with me this afternoon. She is camped over in the grove of pine trees with my other friends and introductions were made. She was warmy welcomed in by them. Being in a small SUV she needs the shade to help stay cool.

Back to being very warm afternoons in the upper 80s now that the sky is clear but there is always a nice breeze of around 20mph max that stirs up when the temperature rises in the afternoons.

Ah, deja vu, once again issues with not my insurance agent but the app for filing claims. Whoever set up the criteria failed to account for the fact that vast numbers of towns in the USA do not have a drive to it inspection station associated with the insurance Company for estimates much less a claims estimator or even a company approved repair shop. Then when getting help online through the app the rep of course just looks at the instruction sheet in front of her and clicks on a box that says not eligible for a photo inspection and refuses to change it. Glad my agent is a patient man because he is now the one, at his suggestion, who has to forward the dozen photos I took that they require for such inspections to a living breathing human claims adjuster at the company. Then my agent has to follow up to make sure it all happens in a timely fashion. The repair can be done in a fraction of time compared to getting the estimate done.

In the meantime I am not getting a lot of build work done but at least I am around friends that I enjoy being with which is a terrific way to reduce the stress.

Of course now that I have a new rodent mess to clean up and am mostly sitting around in the evening I was looking up best products for getting rid of rat urine residue. That reasearch turned up the CDC recommendations. Nothing extreme in them but they bring up some things that need to be done to reduce the risk of contracting the viruses the rodents can be carriers of. There is a section on cleaning up a vehicle as well as sections on structures including unfinished attics and sheds. Please consider at least reading the article, it does give some valid pointers on what to do. Nothing exotic needed but it covers what cleaning methods you might think to use but should not do as it can cause virus contamination danger to yourself.
https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/prevent_infestations/clean_up.html

Last edited:
Ben it is not the doctors neglect or your neglect. It is simply that the time has finally arrived when surgery on your hands is needed due to the level of pain.

I have bad bones in my back. The MRI shows it. The orthopedist put it this way, it's very bad but not just yet in need of the only option which is a spinal fusion. That I will know when that is because of the level of pain makes it impossible to function. In the meantime I should do a lot of reverse stretches to help keep out of pain.

So Ben do not beat up on yourself or the doctor. It was always about living with it until you can't live with it. You have now reached that point and you are doing something about it.

Nature lover is back online. But he is laid up after a bad fall that damaged his shoulder. Today he made a long posting in the Nature Lover and Friends thread that he started a while back.

Finally I was able to use a friend's Starlink connection and do a virtual chat with a claims adjuster so I can get the rat chewed wire mended. The estimate got done and the funds were even put into my bank account right away!!!! Now I just need to get an appointment at the repair shop.

I’m in a better spot pain wise maki2. Glad to hear your getting resolve on your rat situation. Yesterday I got motivated and moved my maxxifan to my new home from my truck camper. I bought a better one for my garage/ bedroom. But replaced that bathroom one with the mosquito fan in it that didn’t work anyway. You get those two fans sucking air and I didn’t need the air on at all today. It put my pain level up some but nothing like I was experiencing. Thanks for the heads up on nature lover. I love his no quit attitude.

We left the Sisters Oregon area today headed South.....Good Road, Traffic, Weather.....Until we hit California.....Thick smoke fills the air tonight as we park in the Modoc Natl forest.......maybe from the WEED fire ?

COUGH, Cough

California, perhaps the torrential rains from hurricane Kay will put out some of the fires? Of course that comes with flash flooding.

There is a big fire in the NE corner of California just south of Oregon border, east of Goose Lake and US-395.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/8403/
"The Barnes Fire remianed [sic] active overnight and into this morning. with much of the growth on the south side of the fire.Isolated torching,running and backing were observed. Based on an IR Infrared) flight flown over the fire at 1 AM the fire was accurately mapped at 4,043 Acres, containment remains at 0%.."

Ventrusky shows a large area there with a "very unhealthy" 220 AQI.