24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the Covid numbers are up and I hear it is the Delta variant. Thanks for the recipe for the Fire Cider it does sound like it would have a beneficial effect for treating any illness. So sorry you and your son had Covid but I hope you have developed antibodies that would come to your rescue if you ever got it again.

I'm in the middle of trying to make a video............ my August reading wrapup. I'm a few days late on that because of the fire scare we've been having in this community. Stress and trauma are not conducive to having the peace of mind to create a video - at least, not for me.

Travelaround. Do you think it’s going to be a yearly thing where you are worrying about fire and having to breathe smoky air? Perhaps it’s may be time to move on? The stress factor alone would do me in.

Cammalu, last night I was thinking about how much I am looking forward to seeing you again in Quartzsite. Definetly for another ride in your OHV as well.

Travelaround you will start to unwind from the stress very soon. Too bad about yourr van builders getting ill. Good that you are going to spend time with your sister, that sounds like a much needed getaway trip.

Its is a nice morning here but it will get pretty hot here today. Good thing I need to move antway so I am heading to Flagstaff ehere it will be 5 to 20 degrees cooler. I started packing up last night by taking down the screen room. This morning is just putting stuff away inside the trailer after I make myself a scramble with veggies in it. Only enough coffee was left for one small cup. I will get another when I visit the gas station. I do need to stock up on more groceries so will do that either this evening before sunset or tomorrow. I need to get setup in a new camp quickly as orders for 6 kits came in this weekend so I have cutting to do. No regrets about having to work as the funds from those kits are providing goceries and fuel. But no labor for me on this Labor Day other than moving to a new campsite which is more than enough work for one day. Bound to be more traffic than normal on Hwy 180 to Flagstaff, I might go camp in Williams for a while instead. I will decide when I stop for fuel in the little town of Valle AZ which is the junction for the 2 highways, straight on to Williams or turn east to Flagstaff.

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Labor Day. Treat yourselves kindly and think positive thoughts.

Cammalu said:
Travelaround. Do you think it’s going to be a yearly thing where you are worrying about fire and having to breathe smoky air?  Perhaps it’s may be time to move on?  The stress factor alone would do me in.
Yes, the smoke is an annual issue around here because we're in a valley surrounded by many miles of National Forest land. My hope and intention is to spend most of the year traveling, then to return here in the springtime to visit my daughter and her family and help them with gardening.

I'm here now still waiting for my van conversion and because we're still sorting things out after last year's big fire destroyed 200 homes including mine. There are issues and opportunities to deal with that I can't deal with as well from elsewhere. Besides. The van. I heard from RV guy yesterday and he's ready to order the solar panels. He was just waiting for another party to get some funding and will make our two orders together to take advantage of a volume discount.

I’m starting to want to get my wheels rolling and have been thinking about it more and more. I’m kinda torn because I didn’t get the stuff done this summer that I wanted to and my time is closing fast and I’m stuck in line waiting on an electrician and a foundation guy.

I busted my butt a few weeks ago and landed right on my new shoulder. That set me back a bit on my physical therapy. Then two days ago down I went again and I’m black and blue and also have a softball size hematoma to deal with. What the hell is it with this falling stuff and why can’t I bounce back up and keep going anymore? Surely I’m not getting that old! Well maybe I am! Crud.

I’m so looking forward to getting back West and exploring the desert snd hunting for pretty rocks. I’m also terribly behind on quilting and been working on the same dang one off and on for a year.

I want to take my puttputt out for a overnighter away from YARC Camp. I have a cot but would like a tent at least. There is a place out in the Kofa Wilderness by Skullrock where I’d like to camp, maybe on a full moon.

Bah Humbug!

Pic of Skullrock: it’s beautiful up thru there!
6e3ac9231cf09461067dfee8ae4f2de0.jpg

Cammalu said:
Then two days ago down I went again and I’m black and blue and also have a softball size hematoma to deal with.  What the hell is it with this falling stuff and why can’t I bounce back up and keep going anymore?  Surely I’m not getting that old!  Well maybe I am!  Crud.

Darn, Cammalu... so sorry for the bad luck... :-/
I did take a couple of tumbles 2 years ago or so, mostly due to 'pretty shoes'. Ever since I changed my thinking, and my shoes, to I-don't-care-what-they-look-like- are-they -slip-resistant?
That, and I watch my step like a hawk.
Getting older is not fun in that respect. We are one step away from game-over.
I haven't fallen since. Yet.
I hope you feel better soon.

Camilla, as I recalll you have one leg that is shorter than the other. That certainly would make you more prone to falling. Also stuff like wearing shoes that dont give you enough stable support. Inner ear issues and early onset Alzheimers can cause loss of balance , being out of shape with weak ankles, bad knees or hips is another cause. There could be multiple causes stacking the cards up against you right now. Just start sorting through them and start with the easy stuff. The physical therapist can also run you through testing studies such as your feet, knees, hips to see if those are contributing to the falls. Exercises might sort it out.

Me, I pronate so that makes various issues crop up in my knees, ankles and spine too. In fact I just bought new shoes today as my old ones were worn out and not giving me good support. I bought the New Balance brand as they have a built in stability core to prevent pronation. Plus I wear a 4E and very few brands come that wide but New Balance is one of that does and I can find them at Big 5 stores. I did not really want to spend money on shoes right now but my back had started hurting and I also want to start walking more for exercise. No sidewalks here in the forest so sturdy shoes are important.

I know a lot of older people who have taken bad falls lately, including my fall on June 1 this year. Fortunately I healed quickly. My friend in New Mexico is still healing as she got broken ribs.

Every time I open my trailer door the smoky air hits me with a strong scent of trees burning. I haven't gone anywhere today because I didn't want to breathe that.

I talked to my sister about my itinerary. My preference would be to avoid the Los Angeles area. I wonder how possible that is. I prefer small towns and less traffic.

Cammalu, I realized I forgot to mention one common factor that might be a cause of falls for anyone. Heat dehydration and exhaustion. It can lower blood pressure which can cause disorientation as well as muscle weakness. Even a mild case of those heat related issues could cause a fall in a person who already has some issues with walking. So maybe those two falls are something that falls into the category of a pretty basic cause in a hot location in the summer. You know what to do about preventing that heat related stuff. Stay cool : )

crofter said:
Take 395. That highway does not go thru LA.

It's been a couple of decades but I remember that being a pretty nice drive from Reno to SD.

Thanks for the route advice Crofter! I'll talk it over with my sister when she calls back today. It will be great to get out of town. Would be even better if the van had a bed in it. There's still a possibility this can happen... just waiting for RV guy to get the solar panels and install them.

Didn't think my question deserved it's own thread.

I recently made 2 large batches of bread pudding... and shortly after taking them out of the oven they both went from 3 inches tall to a mere half inch.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring... too much egg.. not cooked long enough not enough bread not whisked enough... whisked too much??

It was delicious .. maybe a little more eggy than most.

Any tips would be appreciated!

Cammalu said:
I’m starting to want to get my wheels rolling and have been thinking about it more and more. I’m kinda torn because I didn’t get the stuff done this summer that I wanted to and my time is closing fast and I’m stuck in line waiting on an electrician and a foundation guy.
Does this mean you're considering staying home?? I wish you quick and thorough healing, and for your turn with the subs to come up PDQ. If you don't go to La Posa South, I will be choosing another winter home. I've seen La Posa South. I was only going back cause you are my fav neighbor, ever.

Too warm to work in the trailer today. Have a bit of heat exhaustion going on so I was tired and sleepy. I will wait until sundown power up the generator for a few hours. I am not going to run it during quiet hours but I am also not camped close enough to anyone that its noise would be heard as more than a very small whisper.

I hope your van comes together like magic soon, travelaround.

We've been getting breaks from smoke in the morning and then it creeps back in
during the day. I think I'm going to have to go from a once a day Mucinex to twice a day.

Are you still by the Grand Canyon, maki?

Hello fellow nomads, and now a report from Pennsylvania. It’s a beautiful day in Pennsylvania it got a little warm but the humidity wasn’t there so it wasn’t hard to take. September can be as hot as August or as cool as October here. This year it’s chosen to be moderate address this first week of September. I plan to be returning to the mountains of Perry County tomorrow. I’ve been staying close at hand to the doctors office because if they arm injuries. But the therapy seems to be effective and the therapist gave me a list of exercises to do at home so I don’t have to go in. I’m at my friends pond the night in Lancaster County and tomorrow leaving for Perry County. I’m really getting anxious about going to Florida for the winter. Money is going to be a big issue. But in the end it will cost me less to go to Florida then it will take to heat the van for the winter. I can feel my scapula starting to push to turn into wing shave ice snowbirds can fly south. We are still eating beautiful peaches and sweet corn and now the Lima beans are ready. Tomorrow I’m going to cut off some fresh sweet corn put in some lima beans and have a good old fashion succotash.

God bless the nomads. I saw a bumper sticker today I’ve seen before but it bears repeating. “Not all who wander are lost“. Again God bless the nomads no matter where they are

desert_sailing said:
Didn't think my question deserved it's own thread.

I recently made 2 large batches of bread pudding... and shortly after taking them out of the oven they both went from 3 inches tall to a mere half inch.

Any ideas as to why this is occurring... too much egg.. not cooked long enough not enough bread not whisked enough... whisked too much??

It was delicious .. maybe a little more eggy than most.

Any tips would be appreciated!
You have to whip the eggs separately. Whip the whites to firm meringue consistency, then fold in the yolks slowly.
bake them in medium PREHEATED oven 10 minutes more than what you think is good enough. The pudding will keep most of its firmness.
And don't open the oven for the first 20 minutes.
Soak the bread in millk /sugar/melted butter well, before you mix them all together.

Wanderingsoul... my time in the Grand Canyon NFS dispersed camping was up. Plus a high heat warning was also issued for that area. Therefore yesterday I moved over to NFS camping near Flagstaff which is in a different National Forest. Grand Canyon is adjacent to the Kaibab Forest and Flagstaff is adjacent to Coconino National Forest. because of the 14 day time limits I have been switching back and forth between those two NFS areas with few days now and again when needed at a $10 a night paid campsite. it has worked out nicely because sometimes it is too hot to the Canyon and sometimes too rainy in Flagstaff. September is the last month of the monsoon season and it does seem to be getting more sunshine, at least this week its sunny but a little warmer than I like. Not bad outside in the shade under the trees though as the wind picks up in the afternoon. Flies dont like the wind so that makes it even nicer for sitting outside. It is about an hour drive between the two campsites.

Both places have their pluses and minuses. Flagstaff has better shopping and lower prices on gas and groceries. The Grand Canyon has better sightseeing. Both campsites have good cell signals and are not overcrowded.

Just came across this site about older Americans falling - it is very common! They have statistics and information on preventing falls and much more.

CDC Website: Still Going Strong Campaign

I think my fall on June 1 could have been prevented by not doing stupid stuff alone in the woods.