24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The models don't like the clothes either, notice that none are smiling. I cannot imagine what inspired those "fashion statements".
-crofter

well....i could care less about fashion...but i do love art...and i think it's kinda fun to look at what others come up with artistically.......even when i was making jewelry i never looked at what people were "in to"...i just followed my own creative juices....you might see me walking around there in my reflectix dress & bungie cord belts...... ;)

Oh...and btw....i closed my Etsy Shop......I'm donating it all .............

[quote pid='548749' dateline='1630684980']
"....walking around there in my reflectix dress & bungie cord belts...... ;)"
[/quote]
Now there's a fashion statement.
-crofter

Gypsy108 said:
well....i could care less about fashion...but i do love art...and i think it's kinda fun to look at what others come up with artistically.......even when i was making jewelry i never looked at what people were "in to"...i just followed my own creative juices....you might see me walking around there in my reflectix dress & bungie cord belts...... ;)

Oh...and btw....i closed my Etsy Shop......I'm donating it all .............

I'm sorry to hear that, Gypsy.  You make beautiful jewelry.

I think it makes their faces look kinda ugly, when actually I am sure they could look good with a little effort and a smile. Also does not do much to sell the clothes.

I get it, someone decided ugly was cute, and I am not part of that urban culture anyway so who cares?

My clothing choices have to keep me comfortable so I can live in the world. I would choose clothing that is functional.
-crofter

My clothing choices are neutral colors but mostly black (waves at travelaround lol) and natural fabrics only. I'm so boring.

Girls are women are still frequently told to smile. But it is perfectly OK for boys and men to look serious. I think it is becoming more acceptable now for girls and women to look serious without being told to smile as frequently.

When you look at the early photographs of people sitting for personal or family portraits no one was told to smile. It had not yet become a cultural trend to smile for photos. I am not sure at what point in time that changed but I am sure the answer to that is out on the internet somewhere is a social research article. I myself suspect smiling for photo portraits likely has a direct relationship to the better availability of dental care to prevent tooth loss and for things such as natural looking dentures and bridges; versus George Washington having carved wooden dentures.

Speaking of fashion, I actually feel pretty comfortable in dresses. Remember those high-low hemlines? So out of vogue now in retiree-land. So I have the project of refashioning the hemlines, going with a straight line at the knee.
-crofter

If you go on Etsy and enter beaded necklace into the search you will get a return of around 800,000 hits. It is a saturated market. A newly launched Etsy shop that is not willing too pay for extra advertising placement to get further up in the search returns is not going to get seen. It has nothing to do with the quality of the merchandise, it is only about there being there too much competition on that particular venue for your merchandise to even get seen by anyone.

Keep those necklaces. Wear them when you are out on the road. People will ask about them. Some will wish to buy them. That can fund the money to buy more beads. Make a business card to hand out to people who comment on your beautiful necklaces with an interest in knowing where you got it. Don't let the response to your Etsy venture kill your joy in what you have a passion for. It was never about you or what you make. It is simply all about the overwhelming competition numbers.

I have never bought anything on etsy, but I do shop at the winter flea markets for that special stuff. This year will be better, with fewer people stuck at home beading, leaving it to those like you who have the flair for it.
-crofter

Gypsy, did you tag your stuff 'bohemian'? Etsy is all about the tagging I don't remember exactly how many you can have but you should use every single one of them. That's what I did when I was selling. Bohemian is very popular right now. There are certain things that when I look for something on Etsy that's the word I put in.

This first batch of jewelry I made was practice… I never did this before… so it’s not very professional…… I know I threw in the towel too soon… and I was an emotional wreck when I did it … anger played a big part… it just made me sick that all we ever do is prostitute ourselves to make a buck…it’s sickening…. I was desperate for money… it wasn’t coming fast enough… I couldn’t believe it…. Haha.  I didn’t start paying Etsy until the last few weeks I was there… and I got more views I noticed… but no buyers… my prices went way down thinking maybe they are too high… then I figured out how much I spent on supplies… and added up all my prices.. and I wasn’t even making a profit… so then I jacked up the prices to make a profit… then depression hit me…then I said F*** it.

Yeah I used ALL the tags “boho” “gypsy “ EVERYTHING….

I think I’ll do better in person .. not online… the photos don’t do justice anyways….

I’ll still make stuff… but I already gifted them to a worthy cause ….

I love giving from my heart … some gypsy i make … ha !

Sad... sorry you gave up on that hope Gypsy - but maybe you needed to clear the way for something new, and I can understand that.

The main fire seems to be effectively stopped 13 miles south of us, for now... but a spot fire that came off that (flying ember hitting 4 miles away) is now a growing fire of concern and some lovely forest service campgrounds 12 miles south of here near the Marble Mountain Wilderness are now being consumed by it, and I'm hoping a new fire break line will hold that away from our town. If not we still have a few more days here at least. I'm hoping for the best.

Nothing new really. I'm just sitting in the travel trailer isolating myself and reading a book.

Today's fire update says they no longer expect the fire to come to my town! However, the evacuation warning still stands. The town is celebrating the "Bigfoot Jamboree" - a big celebration every Labor Day Weekend. I did not go because of the Covid epidemic numbers in this county right now. Plenty of other people went despite the thick smoke we're dealing with this year. I can hear the music over at the River Park.

The van is not going to be done in time for my trip to see my Sister near San Diego. Is anyone surprised? I'll be staying in motels.

Glad to hear that! Also glad you decided not to hang around a whole bunch of people at this time. Better to be safe than sorry.

I have been staying in camp this weekennd. Ran my essential errands on Thursday before the holiday weekenders showed up.

The Bigfoot Jamboree is over for another year and people in town are tired - including me and I didn't leave my travel trailer the whole time except to toss the trash and one trip to walk my property and pick up mail. Must be my age. Either that or I'm all worn out from a week of stress carrying things out to my van to try to save them from another fire - only to find out yesterday that the danger to our town is now seen as unlikely by the firefighters. For that I'm grateful, but still am recovering from the shock, trauma and stress. I want to take a nap but I have a book video to make. And I'm so disappointed about no progress on the van build and we still have too much forest fire smoke in the atmosphere around here. I'm planning a vacation to Southern California.

I'm going to make a batch of Fire Cider. The first time son got exposed to Covid at work last December I hadn't thought to make any for the pandemic and ordered from the lady my middle daughter gets hers from in Portland. $18 for an 8 oz bottle which is outrageous but her recipe has a lot more good stuff in it than the original recipe. I ordered three bottles and I'm glad I did because the next time he got exposed in January was the money shot and we both got it. Between the Fire Cider and elderberry syrup and the good immune boosters I get off Amazon we both had mild cases. Or we just got lucky. But it does help to think you're doing something to mitigate the situation, helps with the stress.

Fire Cider

Equal amounts of fresh horseradish, ginger, yellow onion, garlic and the hottest peppers you can stand. Chop finely (or grind in a food processor) and put in a jar. Cover with Bragg's apple cider vinegar and put in a dark place. Shake the jar every day. Let sit for 4-6 weeks and then strain into another jar and add honey to taste (local, raw honey is the best). Take a couple teaspoonsful a few times a day. Sounds weird, it actually tastes pretty good.

I've been reading probably far too much about this Delta wave and I'm getting kind of worried. Ever since that heavy smoke we got hit with a few weeks back my breathing has not been the best, oxygen running from 93-96% at the best and I'm kind of tight. I probably could use a short prednisone course but there's no way I'm taking an immune suppressor during this pandemic.