24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We could use some of your rain out here, Nature Lover. The fire near me will burn until rain puts it out. Their expected containment date is October 31.

Oh my... I just looked on the map and saw that fire is in town. What a disaster! I hope it stays away from your section of town, Wanderingsoul.

Yeah it's right in the edge of town where the hills start.  I don't think it will come this way and it is across the river but if it's windy that doesn't necessarily mean a lot.  There was a fire in the hills on the west edge of town a few years back and flying embers started a big fire in town at a packing materials company.  Those embers landed in the worst place they could just about.

Just went outside and looked and I don't see any smoke.  All those planes really worked that fire last night, I've never seen so many aircraft on a fire on the edge of town like that before.  Then again there hasn't been a fire so close to where I live to watch either.

Wow wonderingsoul... my son lives in Kennewick I’ll come out and go up through your area to bring boats up Seattle way and back to visit my grandkids. I love going through that area. I hope the Columbia River is a good barrier for you. That big ol River can look awe full skinny though with a big fire anywhere near its banks.

Many trips then continuing south through Oregon into California. So I can say I traveled around travelaround. Haha!
Came up through there in June delivering canoes with no air conditioning in my suburban... (my backup rig I bought to get me through til I fixed my truck). The thermometer said 111 degrees from Sacramento all the way to Oregon. But I then ran into a little rain and just hot weather. So a rare counter clockwise run.
Love the west coast! Well off to doctor to finally get a follow up on my hospital stay and get a plan to get me through this so I can get back on the road...
I am excited as my battleborn batteries are scheduled to be hear today....
Stay safe you all in the fire areas!

A little bit of rain this morning, the first time it has rained in a couple of weeks. There will be more of it coming this week as the remnants of tthe Pacific ocean tropical storm Nora pass through Northern Arizon on its way into Utah and Colorado. I am sure my generator might come in handy if the morning clouds get too dense for much solar gain which seems very likely to happen. Hopefully I got it working properly. The worst of that storm remnant will come through on Wednesday so I will wait until after that to move to a new campsite.

I am glad that I stayed in Northern AZ this summer despite some days with thunderstorms and occassional heavy rain and cloudy afternoons.. Less than 2 weeks time of the national forest being closed for camping due to forest fires. But I was never in any smoky areas or real danger and I had a place to camp on private land.

My free mini medicare physical is sceduled for just before lunch. From what I saw on the internet the clin,ic which is inside the Grand Canyon Nartional Park, also does mammograms. Hopefully I can get that taken care of as well. Being on the ro getting annual health checks does seem even more omportant as I am a very long ways from my regular doctors. Of course that would not be easy to go back to my designated home address area for as they are inside a city which would mean urban doondocking time to visit them. Maybe next year as I am likely to go to Wahington state so I can visit with my son. I do not think he will be leaving the Seattle area before then as he will have followup checkups to do for the leukemia he has been fighting off. He had his last round of chemo the other day but still has some blood product infusions to complete. Then he is all through with the final treatments. No sign of lekemia in his body since last spring but he is very exhausted and it will be months yet before his energy comes back.

Time to head into the park and get showered before the doctor .

Have a good day everyone. Be safe, be happy and I hope those still in sticks and bricks have some progress today with getting ready for life on the road for this coming fall and winter.

NctryBen said:
That big ol River can look awe full skinny though  with a big fire anywhere near its banks.

Yeah it look huge, until..... haha

Look how good of a job they did keeping the fire away from that neighborhood at the bottom of the hill.  At the base of the black is where the fire started (and someone's probably in deep s*** for this).  On the other side of the ridge is a big bowl and that's all black.  I couldn't see on the other side but I did see a small puff of smoke coming up.  Haven't seen any updates yet.

Oh good! My edit option didn't run out yet!

Chelan County Emergency Management

Rooster Comb Fire in South Wenatchee: All areas that were on a Level 3 evacuation last night have been lowered to a Level 2 (Get Set). Pitcher Canyon Road remains on Level 2. We will reassess those levels around noon today.
Last night, the fire burned 230 acres and is 10% contained. A Type 3 Team is working to secure the fire line today. There are flames in the interior of the fire. The team will use air support as needed today. And the fire activity was minimal overnight. Our local firefighters are standing by -- getting some much needed rest.

So sorry to hear that you are going through this again. Hope the community can drag everything portable out of harms way.
-crofter

Travelaround. Please do get all your build stuff and things you need for your nomadic life loaded up right away. At least that way you will have everything you need for starting out.

I have been keeping a close eye on the forecast. Sure enough there is now a flash flood watch issued for this coming Wednesday here near Grand Canyon Village, AZ. That is when the remnants of tropical storm Nora comes through this area. This campsite will not flash flood. I will sit it out here and stay off the roads. Stocked up on a few groceries in the park this morning to carry me through until I get to a location where there is a less expensive grocery store.

The medical clinic appointment person was wrong. They could not do the medicare annual wellness check, that can only be done by my primary physician. It will wait until I get back to WA state next summer. So no wellness checkup today. But at least I did take a hot shower this morning before I went to the clinic for the appointment. So not a wasted trip into the park.

TA - a prayer just left Berks County Pennsylvania headed to heaven with your name on it. I will try to actually pray for you and your family regularly during this not just wishing prayers and blessings but actually praying. I can’t imagine the stress Of Going through it again. “May the Lord bless you and keep you, Make his face to shine upon you, and give you peace”.

Traveling around, keep us updated. I’ll be praying....

Had a good appointment with my doctor this morning. Got an appointment at the University of Minnesota Clinic in Minneapolis on Thursday.
Not often I have to depend on rides... but I have a friend that is picking me up Wednesday and bringing me home Friday. She lives down in the cities and has a cabin north of me. So I get to ride with three women back home. Haha! Hoping for good news, at least answers. I told my dr I will not be here this winter and he agreed to give a referral to the Mayo if needed by then. Whatever is happening, it’s definitely getting worse. Effecting my eyes more too, so less screen time...
My kids all want me closer to them. I’ll have to see the benefits of their states. Im a better grandpa when I can visit vs live with any of them. I think in Washington I could stay in my camper easier.
Maki... That must be tough watching your son go through that. That’s great that he’s beat it off so far. Prayers for a swift recovery and good health for many years to come.

Hello everyone.. the fire is still 13 miles away, just south of Independence Creek - but this evening at a community meeting our sheriff let us know he's putting an evacuation warning on our entire town. He's doing it early to give people time to get prepared, since last time my evacuation warning was about 2 hours max and my daughter's was 5 minutes. So many people got out at the last minute it is a miracle that only 2 people died in that fire. One was a willful resistor who refused to leave his property - he thought he could protect it.

Anyhow, in case anyone here would have an interest in watching that community meeting just to see what it might be like, here's a link to it. We don't know if/when the fire might arrive this far north but it has traveled quite a ways already. We won't get an evacuation order unless it jumps Independence where there's a fire line, and is in the vicinity of Ferry Point (11 miles from here.) Since that means it only has a couple miles to travel before they start trying to make us leave in earnest, I'll probably spend most of tomorrow trying to rearrange my possessions.

Too bad my van is not set up to be lived in again yet. I wonder if we'll get another 2 month hotel room stay out of this again. So much for isolating myself from covid. That's not working out well. Again. Well, I'm not leaving unless the fire jumps the river and the town is in real danger.

Oh, and Grayback Road is open again so we can go directly to Cave Junction now, or out 96 to Yreka.

Fun with fires in Happy Camp. Part Two.

Thanks to everyone for prayers and kind wishes for my safety. I think I'll be safe. At most we will just lose a lot of possessions again. And our nice new travel trailers could be burnt. FWIW this is a 2021 model TT the tribe purchased just to loan out to me, and I've been grateful for it.

Hoping for the best for you, TA. <3

Hey maki, did you say that you had Medicare Part G and were happy with it? May I ask why you picked G over other plans?

My enrollment period starts tomorrow. I'm going to go back and talk to the broker lady again (and probably again and again) before I make my final decisions. But I'm leaning towards G.

You must be thinking about getting a supplemental insurance plan which is not something that is part of medicare but instead is offered by private medical insurance companies. The plans are an alphabet soup and coverage offerings change every year. I have no expertise in that area and what you choose depends on your medical needs and your ability to pay for deductibles. Not something I am qualified to give advice on.

Fall is almost here.My favorite time of year.Hunting,fishing and college football.My granddaughter is a student at UGA and got tickets for us to the UGA /Cl game on Sat. Hope everybody in the stadium will be vaccinated.Rainy day in the NC mountains today.A good day to catch up on some ammo reloading.Hope everybody is well and happy.

Medicare went way over my head and was more than I wanted to think about (comparing plans/costs) so I went to AARP’s UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company and got the best plan available at the time, which was Medicare Supplement Plan F. Please don't ask me to explain it. It has so far covered every medical need I have except vision and dental, and medicine (Part D) of course is covered by a separate plan. They automagically deduct their premium from my bank account each month and that's fine with me so long as I don't have to think about it and get what I need.

Got the 3cardstock kits I need to ship tomorrow cut with the vinyl cutter while there was some solar input this noon time. The clouds have now moved in. Unlikely to see very much of the sun until Thursday. Some wind kicking up just now with a thunderstorm type cloud passing by.

I think I will warch the evening news from Phoenix and see how much rain Nora dumped when it passed over that area.

Not sure where I will go for my next campsite. But likely to be close to Williams or to Flagstaff. I like both areas. Williams as it is small and Flagstaff as it has more in the way0 of supplies. But my favorite campiing area is where I am now as the weather is drier here on the Kaibad plateau near the Grand Canyon during the Monsoon season without being much hotter than the mountain pass areas.

This coming weekend is Labor Day. For those who need more camping stuff don't forget there will be a lot sales on for those items, end of summer closeouts and start of fall hunting season stuff too.