24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This video was made very recently and presented at the one-year-commemoration of our fire at the park yesterday. You can see my little neighborhood near the end of the video at 4:44.

[video=youtube]

I got to stay in a few very nice hotel rooms in California back when there were internet deals on hotel rooms where you could put in a low priced offer. I was able to pay around $25 to $30  for a room that typically rented for  $150 to $200.  which today would likely be in that $300 a night range.

Intermittent thunderstorm showers afternoon here. Was foecasted at 25 to 30 percent chance but I am right in the path of the two  bands of showers coming out of the southwest. The rain is cooling things off this afternoon but of course blocking out solar gain.

Went into town today to mail out an Etsy order and then hung around long enough to get a walk in appointment for my semi annual haircut. Got a few produce items at the grocery and then back to camp. I have an Amazon order supposedly arriving in Flagstaff tomorrow so maybe I will go back into town tomorrow or Saturday. Going to be a fairly mundane two weeks ahead, no plans to do travel, but hopefully I will get more focused on work than I was in the previous month's time.

TA - I am not wishing anyone to fall, Lord knows I do enough of it myself, it’s just a little joke - have a nice TRIP see you next FALL, you know how I like jokes. Somehow that little line was funnier years ago. I remember as a chaplain visiting the nursing homes and people told me that they were so afraid of falling. I couldn’t really appreciate that fear, but now I know it. I’ve had several “minor” falls, one Resulted in a broken bone in the arm but a major fall and I’ll be done. Thank God that “break“ was on the head of the bone where nothing could be done but bear the pain and do the therapy for the ligaments. It looks like that’s gonna work And I’ll avoid surgery, thank God.

It got down to 58 last night here in the mountains of Pennsylvania. I had to use a light flannel blanket. We have a bear in the area of my camp. Of course I have been leaving out snacks for him.;)

God bless the nomads, each and every one.

travelaround said:
Yes, I've never had a luxury hotel experience, so this will be a unique treat for me. I'm glad she's not really having to pay for it - she has a credit card that gives her points and she funnels all her household expenses through that one card and it builds up to the point where she has more points than she can use. So she's happy to share these with me as my van isn't ready for me to stay in yet.

When my son (who moved back to this side and lives with me now) was living in the Seattle area he was working the desk at a 'boutique' hotel in the area.  Rooms were around $350/night this was in 2015.  When my daughter got married her sister and I went over for a few days and stayed there, got the discounted rate of $99/night.  It was WONDERFUL!  I'm sure that was the first and last time I'll ever be staying in a hotel that expensive. lol

For those of you who think I am a juvenile with A very low IQ and no culture at all, I would like to prove it to you.

Two days ago I heard this little joke and now every hour or two get repeats in my brain and I giggle.

Question: what is invisible and smells like carrots?
Answer: bunny farts

shadowmoss said:
I will mostly be passing through.  I'll drop mom off in Kansas City and drive I64 down.  Need to be at the reunion site in a Friday evening and leave Sunday.  The way things go I'll probably get away late on Sunday and won't want to drive the 600 miles back to KC that day.  I appreciate your offer of hospitality.

When is it that you will be in the area? I have a gal coming thru on the 27th that rides her bike all over the world and another coming thru that’s a travel nurse on the same day. Don’t know how long either will stay.

Went to my surgeon yesterday who replaced my shoulder a couple of months ago. Doesn’t look like I ripped anything in there and he had me do a bunch of different movements that proved I didn’t. So I guess I just pulled and bruised it up. He rewrote my physical therapy prescription and he wants them to go easy on me for awhile. He also took one look at all my bruises and wanted to know what happened.

He wrote another script for PT for balance therapy. I’m already three days a week. Hell I hope I don’t go to five a week!!! I really don’t think the balance therapy will do me much good. When I was badly hurt several years ago my pelvis was twisted back which made me shorter on one side. Legs are measuring out the same though. In any event I’m an old fart and am going to be extra careful.

Cammalu, just give that physical therapy a 100% effort despite not beliving it will not do any good. You have a whole winter worth of fun on your OHV ahead of you and if you are lucky you will be in better shape to enjoy it. Think positive thoughts while you do the exercises, try to believe you are getting stonger with every session. I know you are fed up with doctors and therapist but you can do it andactually gain strength. You are that tough!

If your legs measure the same length you can with physical therapy exercises get your pelvis back into the proper alignment. It wont happen overnight but it will happen if you do the exercises they show you and do them everyday.

Finally pulled myself out of isolation and did some errands this afternoon. I went by my property and saw my daughter and son-in-love did a lot of work over there... trying to get things cleared out and giving a surviving rose bush a cleared space. That rose is so pretty ... it is yellow. So glad it survived. My daughter finished clearing brambles away from the front fence.

I want to go back over there and clear away more of the evil Buffalo Bur that came to our area after the fire. The back corner of the property is where I want to put my shed and future home... hopefully with a picket fence around it and a pretty flower garden. The rest of the property they're free to develop in whatever way they want to. We've been talking about having a food forest and they're already collecting fruit and nut trees. I just saw the baby walnut tree today.

And right now it is RAINING (softly) ... I hope it is raining on that fire... it is still 8 miles south of here and the latest infrared map looks like it is almost put out. I'm looking forward to BLUE SKIES tomorrow.

maki2 said:
If your legs measure the same length you can with physical therapy exercises get your pelvis back into the proper alignment. It wont happen overnight but it will happen if you do the exercises they show you and do them everyday.

I’ve asked many doctors and have been to physical therapy for it with no success unfortunately. It happened during that awful hospital fall some years back that I told you about.

Probably Sunday the 26th. That is when I leave the reunion and head north. Unless I'm physically trashed by then I'll probably just spend the night. It would be fun to meet the others, though. I may need a place on the Thursday before as I can't show up at my friend's place until.friday evening.

Bllue skies ahead all week. Temperature with a high ofof 83 and strong breezes in the sfternoons. If that long range forecast proves to be accurate I will be a very happy camper!  I would lik to move to the next campsite further in from this one but there is an RV in sight of it and they have a dog who barks at everything so the better site is not worth hanging out in. I can see their motohome from here but the dog can' t see me. Oh well, if I get lucky maybe they will be leaving soon. I won't be.

Tommorow I start into annual fall season work like crazy mode. Cutting and packaging hits like crazy plus hopefully getting some build work accomplished. I really need to get busy and build a desk drawer for storing tools as well as acting as an extended support surface for my cutting machine activity.  That drawer will reduce a lot of clutter.  I have 3 other drawers to build besides that plus one cabinet and putting up wood trim pieces. Also an enclosure for the solar charge controller. Then adhering the white vinyl on the ceiling. Install a few lights and my build would be close to complete. A few sewing task to do, a cushion attached to the wall for a head rest when reading in bed, a few wall hung storage bags with velcro closures, made of soft white vinyl material. Those bags are foe much needed storage for cords and power supplies that are easy to access. They can go over my windows as there is a narrow strip of wall space there and it is right above the area I use the cords in. Slim white  bags on white walls won't look cluttered.

"Tommorow I start into annual fall season work like crazy mode. Cutting and packaging hits like crazy"

I also do a bit of manufacture on the side and was curious how I could continue to do so while on public lands.

Everything I read on BLM use and activities indicated that a permit is needed for business activities.

How much was your permit? Was it difficult to get the required paperwork?

What do you manufacture? Do you want to sell directly from your camp or just make your product?

I know I'm under a few other potential restrictions based on State laws as I mould chocolates for events. I wouldn't be opening a sales kiosk on BLM / public lands but have thought about how I could continue AND have a workplace at the public's expense. Sure beats having to pay for manufacturing space somewhere.

Have tossed around the idea of pulling a trailer that meets food codes but was under the distinct impression that ANY kind of business activity needed permitting on public lands
No doubt many people skirt regulations in regards to self employment while using the taxpayers property..

Any direct links to the official policy?... I'm guessing I should probably call.

Heres my memorial day 1 pound box.

Attachments

• 1631297772943.jpg
    1631297772943.jpg
    782.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1631297772041.jpg
    1631297772041.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
E45AD5BC-FAFC-42F0-8E0A-640F05208679.jpeg

I am almost brokenhearted. No one responded to my bunny farts joke. I was hoping for at least one smile. I know it’s a kids joke but I am enjoying my second childhood better than my first. In fact I’m having such a good second childhood, I’m going to tell you another stupid, kids joke.

Question: What do you call a bear who has no teeth?
Answer: a ***** Bear!

I feel like I’m on top of the world. I know it’s our little Appalachian Mountains,but boy is it a beautiful place to camp.  Enjoy the view above.

High of 76° today bright sunshine semi-cloudy blue sky. (As you can see in the picture) It’s a beautiful day in Pennsylvania. God bless the nomads!

Attachments

• E45AD5BC-FAFC-42F0-8E0A-640F05208679.jpeg
    E45AD5BC-FAFC-42F0-8E0A-640F05208679.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
"... any kind of work activity" would be hard to enforce if it takes place out of sight. Someone eking out a living probably wouldn't even come up on radar.

This is an interesting series of posts. If it’s all commercial activity then our friends who are blogging and you tubing for income (like Bob?) are in violation. I am certain that the spirit of the law means commercial activity that is obvious and intrusive of others camping there. But the letter of the law can be enforced by the Rangers so???