24/7 Chat About Anything

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ya.. I've Just always worked in Govt regulatory positions.. so I'm a stickler when it comes to being in compliance.

Certainly many hide under the radar.... just not my thing .

I want to make sure I know the regs and can maintain compliance. Fines can be especially high to a small timer like myself.

That's a very notable point Nature..

I'm looking for a recent article published a couple days ago about that exact topic. Yes taking pictures of Public lands for a commercial use is required to get a permit.

Apparently there is a huge problem at Joshua Tree right now and the govt is cracking down on it .

I'll keep looking.. my edit window about to close

nature lover said:
This is an interesting series of posts. If it’s all commercial activity then our friends who are blogging and you tubing for income (like Bob?) are in violation. I am certain that the spirit of the law means commercial activity that is obvious and intrusive of others camping there. But the letter of the law can be enforced by the Rangers so???

That has happened to more than one person and I recall reading about someone getting fined for it. If you are putting it out there online and making money off your videos it’s considered no different than a motion picture company filming on govt land. They have to get a permit and pay.

There is really no evidence if you are working on line or doing things in your rig but when you put it out there on YouTube for all to see you’ve just done yourself in.

This was a big problem for the rtr. It was considered commercial when it went to YouTube videos. The BLM figured someone was making money off of it so someone had to pay. They wanted $6 a head a day and would put their own people on the “gate” taking money as people went in.

Burning man pays for the privilege of using the land but I don’t know how much. Pretty easy to check I think.

If you have a camp together, no filming, seminars, etc you are in the clear.

That said there are MANY groups meeting on BLM land and have been organizing and doing it for years. The Escapees and many other RV groups meet for their rallies every year and I don’t believe they get permits or are charged anything.

When it comes to goods or real property a lot of it has to do with "point of sale" as in where is the transaction is actually taking place. Many transactions occur off property, just outside the gates of Glen Canyon National Recreational Area as Aramark the concessionaire has a monopoly on sales within the park which includes private boats and houseboats that are stored or moored inside the Recreation Area. To avoid the fees owners simply tow them off property and sell them in a gas station parking lot. I imagine your mail service address or bank would be the point of sale if doing internet sales and didn't involve the area you were staying in any way.

Live and let live. So should an artist not paint in a national forest because he/she might sell that painting later on at a craft fair? I think some of these rules are unreasonable.

I live in a national forest. Back in 2005 I helped a Bigfoot research group with filming. The leaders were called into the forest service office to pay for a permit. They were fortunately not fined. Their revenue was extremely minimal.

Maybe the companies that earn a considerable amount of money should be asked to pay for a permit, but people doing subsistence-level work should not.

I have a couple videos on national forest land. My channel has no income and probably never will, but in case it ever does, would I be fined for not getting permits for those videos?

This all takes something away from the fun of exploring national forest/park lands and sharing our adventures on YouTube.

Not that I'm worried about being fined... like I said I don't earn anything from my videos and probably never will.

The nomads really need to come together to buy their own land .

Cammalu said:

Yeah BUT on January 22, 2021.....A DC Federal Judge ruled the ""law requiring permits for commercial filming on public lands an unconstitutional infringement on speech. The court entered a permanent injunction enjoining the permit program ""

https://forestpolicypub.com/2021/01/29/no-commercial-filming-permit-no-problem-says-interior-dept/

Actual 35 page Federal Court Case and Ruling:

https://legacy-assets.eenews.net/open_files/assets/2021/01/26/document_gw_01.pdf

Changing the topic (I hope)..............

We had rain last night and blue skies today. Looking at the infrared flight maps of the fire, this morning there were no more red dots (meaning flames within the last 12 hours) but this afternoon the red dots are back. Someone was told the fire would be coming right up to her house. The community is in another panic.

If you look at that video I posted recently about our 2020 fire, you can see my daughter's skoolie in a couple places. I just noticed that today.

abnorm said:
Yeah BUT on January 22, 2021.....A DC Federal Judge ruled the ""law requiring permits for commercial filming on public lands an unconstitutional infringement on speech. The court entered a permanent injunction enjoining the permit program ""

https://forestpolicypub.com/2021/01/29/no-commercial-filming-permit-no-problem-says-interior-dept/

Actual 35 page Federal Court Case and Ruling:

https://legacy-assets.eenews.net/open_files/assets/2021/01/26/document_gw_01.pdf

Hmmmm. Maybe that could be a game changer for rtr?

chat about anything?

hmm, now what to chat about --that is van dwelling against my life vs. whatever goes down in my personal life....darn this is a hard thread to jump into LOL

Yesterdays campsite visitors, the ones I noticed anyway, some of my visitors are very stealthy. First up was a camp robber, not at all stealthy looking, a brilliant Blue Jay. The next visitor was not all that visible, its camoflague coloring was excellent, I only saw it because it was twitching a bit, a little chipmunk, he found something to eat in the fire ring. No idea what he found as I have not used it. Then 3 white faced, black cattle. They must have been hiding out during the end of summer roundup on the open grazing land. One very lard Jack Rabbit hopped in saw me move and immediately returned back to where it came from.

I saw a car pulled over, up the road aways, next to a clearing. There were several Native American people gathering some vegetation. I am thinking it might be Navajo Tea plants. When I was in Flagstaff last month at a shopping area there was a car in the parking lot wth bundles of dried plants on the hood and a cardboard sign saying Navajo Tea for sale. I have seen it mentioned here and there in Western Novels and know it has medicinal properties but I have never had any of it and do not know what the plants look like. So something new to learn today and look for on a walk in this area. Maybe I will get lucky and find some. It has my curiosity up and the weather is certainly pleasant for taking long walks.

I have deleted a series of posts that bordered on harassment. Sorry about any that got caught up in the thread and were deleted too. Please be respectful of all members.

Update, I do not have to go on a walk to find the Navajo Tea plants. It is right in my campsite, that is the plant with little yellow blossoms and it is all over the place in this area. Very pretty wild flowers. It and the blue/purple lupines are both in full bloom in this forested area.

Cammalu said:
Hmmmm. Maybe that could be a game changer for rtr?
I actually thought it was kinda fun to have the run of the county fairgrounds, though it was a bit of a commute from La Posa South camping.

Navaho Tea, from plants with a purpose site, can obtain seeds to develop your own patch. This also grows in the low desert with a little irrigation.
https://plantswithapurpose.net/product/navajo-tea/

-crofter

desert_sailing said:
ya.. I've Just always worked in Govt regulatory positions.. so I'm a stickler when it comes to being in compliance.

Certainly many hide under the radar.... just not my thing .

I want to make sure I know the regs and can maintain compliance. Fines can be especially high to a small timer like myself.

There's definitely a gray area between people who are clearly involved in making use of public land for personal gain (who SHOULD pay for the privilege IMO), and those who are clearly not.

Seems to me if you just have a serious hobby, and are not posting for sale signs at your campsite or running ads in the local throw-away newspaper, no one would be looking at you. After all, campers do sell and/or trade with each other all the time.

Nature Lover:  Actually, I not only smiled, but shared the joke with my husband--a high honor.  Your joke was very timely, since our pet name for one another is "Bunny", and he had just...  well.  Timely.  (Since we've gotten on in years, we now call one another "Rabbit," but same idea, really.)

I agree with Travelaround time to change the subject.

My life is hopefully going to be pretty boring to others most this next week. Just some ongoing projects to work on with some trips into town now and again for errands I need to take care of. I won't have much of interest to post. But maybe I will share a photo of the wildflowers at this camp when I fire up my laptop tomorrow or the day after.

i might even try steeping a cup of Navaho tea and report on that. It is supposed to help joint pain. That would be nice for me gto do now and again when the weather gets colder at night as I can wake up with stiff neck, shoulders and hands. Maybe this fall I can find a fleece hoodie with pull over mittens at the ends of the sleeves to use as my pajama top. That will keep all those bits from getting cold when I push them out from under the blankets.