YouTube

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorites are cheaprvliving, foresty forest, adventurevanman, and slim potatohead. I started watching goneagain recently and like that. I check out lexnriot, kira and the survival pod, element vanlife, vancity vanlife, rolling earthship, down2mob, matty van halen, suvrving, elsie rhea and barron, sharing the wild, catherine gregory and enigmatic nomadics.

Typing that out now, I see that's quite a lot.

Yea but they only show those from the neck up.

I like my channel. It has boat building, van building, motorcycle riding, train riding, and wildlife. Mostly big birds I see on my walks. I tried to add some drama but it makes me laugh so plenty of chortles scattered here and there. I think I have like three subscribers but I don't care. I'm leaving a record of me for my grandkids to watch when they get old enough to use the internet. Ohh yeah, two alligators, Alvin and Wally, a couple of snakes, one venomous copperhead. And I mustn't forget Betty the blue heron, Ruby's arch-enemy Mr Fat squirrel. I wouldn't bother watching it yourself because I'm a horrid videographer, bad with sound, lazy with editing and it's possible I left in some profanity here and there.

LERCA said:
I watch Bob and then Kelly Doyle and Sophie. Her story is tragic but she was a stand up and she’s funny and honest.

I watch Kelly, too. I didn't realize she was a standup. She's funny.

There are some I would like to watch more, but honestly they just ramble on and take forever to get to the point.

And like others have mentioned, I wonder if some of these people are legit.

And I also worry about people who are not camping or boondocking, but are hanging out in a city, and they aren't being all that stealth. They're recording video at their sleep spot and they may have stickers or decals advertising that they are living in there. Not cool.

sreesekelley said:
I like my channel.  It has boat building, van building, motorcycle riding, train riding, and wildlife.  Mostly big birds I see on my walks.  I tried to add some drama but it makes me laugh so plenty of chortles scattered here and there.  I think I have like three subscribers but I don't care.  I'm leaving a record of me for my grandkids to watch when they get old enough to use the internet.  Ohh yeah, two alligators, Alvin and Wally, a couple of snakes, one venomous copperhead.  And I mustn't forget Betty the blue heron, Ruby's arch-enemy Mr Fat squirrel.  I wouldn't bother watching it yourself because I'm a horrid videographer, bad with sound, lazy with editing and it's possible I left in some profanity here and there.

Subscribed!

Whistling Diesel (this idiot guy is making millions wrecking stuff)  
Bus Grease Monkey (bus conversions fixes and 2 stroke detroit stuff) 
Watch Wes Work (down to earth mechanic)
Dangar Marine (Aussie boat stuff)
Twin Stick Garage (Canadian guy restoring real trucks)

I have binge-watched hundreds of build videos, but I stopped now, because they make me want change things in my van.
I also realized over time that no, it is not so easy-peasy to do a build, and no, it doesn't cost 500 bucks to build an instagram camper.

I like Slim, because he's a talented videographer, and I watch Bob to stay up to date with nomad news.
Vancity Vanlife too. This guy is good with the camera and the music, and even if he's often a Pollyanna, his videos are entertaining and relaxing. And makes me wanna go to Canada.

I have myself a channel too, with about 1000 subscribers, but I haven't made a video for a looong time. (Same name as here). I'll get to it. Eventually.

I watch certain news channels, and sometimes I just watch mindlessly  whatever comes next, even videos with cats and dogs.:rolleyes:

Right. So off I go, all these YouTube videos ain't gonna watch themselves..!

treesprite said:
...Does anyone have recommendations for extremely simplified diy instructions for electrical and solar stuff, simple enough to ease my apprehension about doing the tasks I need to do?
Watch DIY Solar with Will Prowse channel. The kid knows everything, and he's a great teacher.
He has videos for beginners and for advanced.
Here is a simple start:

Also check his videos with keywords "Basics" and "Beginners"

desert_sailing said:
Maximalist Minibus

I have seen this users channel briefly before but spent some time ( hours) binge watching it the other day.. finally caught up on my sleep and can get my solar out before noon.

Great story teller.  Very helpful tips.   The producer of the videos has mastered the art of suspense. Most of the videos seem to be around the 20 minute mark... so it super easy to tell yourself.." just one more".

It is also pretty nifty that she is also a member to this forum and shares with us.
Awwww...... Thank you! I debated whether to respond to this for fear of seeming full of myself but it seems weird to ignore. 

Nice to know somebody is out there!

"Awwww...... Thank you! I debated whether to respond to this for fear of seeming full of myself"

hahaha, some of these youtubers only come to this website to promote themselves and have no desire to participate in the discussion here. driving traffic to there channel is all they care about. thanks for not being one of them.

highdesertranger

Believe it or not, I do YouTube because it gives me the sense of community I crave. I come here for the same reason! Now that doesn't mean I'm not obsesses with channel growth and algorithms and all that other crap.... LOL

I’m finding myself watching fewer and fewer youTube videos. Most of the van videos seem to be pretty much the same thing - look at where I am now, etc...

I am finding myself tending to follow things which are a bit more ‘specialized’ in that they cover rigs similar to what I have and less of the vlog type of videos.

I’m mainly following the news channels and ‘educational channels’ and not the ‘my van life’ type of channels.

Since I was unable to go to northern Canada/Alaska this year, I do sometimes search for videos of folks who have made the trip up north within this past year - trying to get an idea as to what might have changed since my last trip up north.

mpruet said:
I’m finding myself watching fewer and fewer youTube videos.  Most of the van videos seem to be pretty much the same thing - look at where I am now, etc... 

I am finding myself tending to follow things which are a bit more ‘specialized’ in that they cover rigs similar to what I have and less of the vlog type of videos. 

I’m mainly following the news channels and ‘educational channels’ and not the ‘my van life’ type of channels.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. 
My 'building' is non stop. I am constantly thinking of something, trying to overcome a problem, upgrade or solve some issue. Any watching of YT videos for general build or 'tours' is a waste of my time. 
I am far more interested in specific techniques or skills. For example I learned about the existence of pockethole joinery from a build video a long time ago. I then went on to learn about this skill and then conquered it. At the moment it has been a swathe of stuff about my truck. That pu truck is every bit as vital as my home made camper. I am doing my own repairs and trying to learn as much as I can about it. 
Randomly watching build / tour videos and listening to drawn out stories about why they called their rig Matilda and being introduced to their dog like it was a person is not productive. 
Learning about steering / suspension rebuilds or how to build a slide out truck bed is far more useful. 
Each to their own though. For me feelgood is low practical is high.

Latest posts