YouTube

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lab_nomad

Reaction score
Maybe this has been discussed here before, but what are everyone's favorite YouTube channels for vanliving or travel? I love Bob's channel (obviously). Bob has such a wonderful spirit. I like Foresty Forest (I believe he's in Alberta) and Vancity Vanlife (Vancouver, I think). I check those the most, but I also like Chad and Paul (they are probably the only RV people I follow), WONDERlife Travels, and Minivan Lee. 

Some channels I don't watch much anymore b/c they are always doing live streams and I hate live streams, especially when they spend so much time acknowledging everyone who's typing in the chat box and not actually talking to the camera. I like videos that aren't too long and talk about one thing, like showing someone's van build or explaining how to do something.

lab_nomad said:
, but what are everyone's favorite YouTube channels for vanliving or travel?
I enjoy Gonagain and Slim Potatoehead.

Maximalist Minibus

I have seen this users channel briefly before but spent some time ( hours) binge watching it the other day.. finally caught up on my sleep and can get my solar out before noon.

Great story teller.  Very helpful tips.   The producer of the videos has mastered the art of suspense. Most of the videos seem to be around the 20 minute mark... so it super easy to tell yourself.." just one more".

It is also pretty nifty that she is also a member to this forum and shares with us.

We enjoy Dirt Sunrise, Bound for Nowhere, GrizzlyNBear Overland and Slim Potatohead

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I haven't followed any specific channels. I mostly look for various builds to get ideas. Now that I have the van, Ive started looking at DIY vids, so following specific channels will be more useful. I spent a year watching videos specifically for Kia Soul conversion, but the information mostly doesn't apply to a van build (except things like condensation and temperature control).

I watch many of the usual channels. One that has not been mentioned is Mortons on the Move. It is a young professional couple. The guy is an electrical engineer and spends a lot of time focusing on the solar system. They are Battleborn intensive and he gets very technical. I have a background with electronics and am constantly trying to improve my solar set up. Therefore this appeals to me.
Occasionally I watch the Long Long Honeymoon folks too but it can be a little hard to relate as they obviously have plenty of money. When in Q I am afraid that eating in the fancy restaurants there is too expensive for me. At most it is the occasional pancakes on main street. Nice people though.
Some of the build videos have been incredibly helpful. I am going to put some windows in my cargo carrier home and was stumped how to do it. YT came to the rescue.

I watch Bob and then Kelly Doyle and Sophie. Her story is tragic but she was a stand up and she’s funny and honest.

One I watch quite often is Nomadic Fanatic. and I don't know why, he has no job, he relies on his youTube channel for money. He doesn't do any product reviews, or how-tos. He just wants everybody to see much fun is having, and how stuff he can buy. He does quite well living off his channel.

How does that even work? Making money just from making you tube videos?

If you have a high enough viewer count and enough views, you can make some money.

some people make real good money doing it.

I spread my viewing out over several channels.

there are also several that I will not watch, but we don't need to go into that.

highdesertranger

I have stop viewing a lot of channels, some of these just have 2 much drama.

yeah the drama kings and queens are hard to watch. I guess some people must get into it though. highdesertranger

Sounds like a popularity contest. I'm too much of a regular person for that. I think some of the people with youtube channels are like the obnoxious "popular girl" who in 7th and 8th grade I was happy to witness in a couple of highly embarrassing situations that would make a 13 yo girl want to crawl under a rock. She probably has some awful you tube channel of videos of her talking about herself and about how she uses facial procedures and chemicals to keep looking 22 when her real age is 58.

Does anyone have recommendations for extremely simplified diy instructions for electrical and solar stuff, simple enough to ease my apprehension about doing the tasks I need to do? I have no problem with simple household items, but vehicle wires and setting up an electrical power system are in a different part of the universe.

this video will give you a idea how much people make off youtube in this case a vanlife channel
this is just youtube some sell merch stickers t shirts anything ? including amazon links for revenue, some have sponsors and patron.
And drama does work it's just like a soap opera they know how to use anything to click bait you in before you know it your watching on a regular
basis.
I have wondered if these people are making 100.000 dollars or more a year are they really living in a van or pretending and filming themselves to appear so but really are staying in motels and eating out every day ?
I have been watching along time and they all use break downs on the road like transmission problems tires brakes any thing that will prevent them from carrying on and making more videos which by now your hooked on.
it must work.?

When I started planning my build I watched everything I could to get ideas, now I just watch Vancity and Forestyforest.

They both travel in the areas I go, and do things I do or would like to do. They also are edited enough that they are focused and easy to watch, but not so much that their personalities get lost and you feel like you are being sold an image.

Glad they are both able make a decent living off their channels!!!

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Latest posts