Your van's a what, a Faraday Cage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Faraday cages are expensive to build. Especially on any large scale. Best to build a teeny one and fill it with FRS radios, USB power banks, a folding solar panel, and some Soviet era point of use mix alkaline batteries for good measure (if u can still find those), and a spare tin foil hat.

Then bury it in a field. But someone might find it with a metal detector so also bury lots of tin cans, nails, forks, old cell phones, and so on.

You'd need to tattoo the GPS coordinates on your body so you could find it and carry a GPS with you at all times. . . . . OH WAIT! :p

On electro-magnetic pulse--

Many war scenarios start with a high altitude nuclear blast over the target country. Briefly when a warhead goes off outside the atmosphere there is no air to take it and so the energy goes out in electro-magenetic form. Any (unshielded) IC within it's range will get fried. The social chaos it will cause will help the attacking country and hinder and retard any governments attempts to assist in the catastrophe. If you want to curl your hair read "One second after" by Fortgen I believe.

As far as van life-- any computer/EFI/electric fuel pump ETC are toast. You would just glide to a halt while on the road and you're done. Photovoltaic panels will actually still put out voltage afterwards but the blocking diode is gone. I learned this the hard way while running a Tesla coil too close to my array. Older vehicles with mechanical fuel pumps and points ignition will most likely still run (unless the capacitor(condenser) and points in the distributor gets fried) They're cheap and if you keep a spare in a metal box (Faraday cage) it's a quick repair. 99% of vacuum tube devices will still work but since the invention of transistors they are antiques now. Remember that the incoming power lines from a solar array will allow the pulse inside your van and fry everything.

Not to be all doom and gloom here but an EMP pulse would be devastating to anyone who has ICs. It is why most war scenarios start with one. :(  :exclamation:

Most people way overthink this stuff. Ever have lightning strike a tree or a building near you? Not a direct strike, but very close? That's the kind of EMF pulse you'll experience, and it won't "fry everything". That's Hollywood sensationalism.

If you're close enough to a nuclear strike that it "fried" all your electronics that weren't completely shielded in a Faraday cage, you'd be close enough that you'd be obliterated or have radiation burns so bad that you wouldn't want to live anyway.

I'm a broadcast engineer. We have all kinds of measures in place to protect transmitter plants from lightning, power surges, etc. At a broadcast transmitter plant, you've essentially got a huge lightning rod (towers, antenna) that's directly connected to your PA (power amplifier) and indirectly coupled to everything else in your plant. Solid state transmitters have been around since the 1980's, starting with the Harris MW-1, which was a 1,000 watt AM transmitter that was pretty crude by today's standards. For 20 years now, transmitters with powers in the tens to hundreds of kilowatts have been developed and are in operation. Most tube stuff has been replaced with solid state (which I kinda find sad, because I'm a nostalgic sucker for glowing tube filaments), with the exception of some TV transmitters in the UHF spectrum which are still using Klystron tubes because they're more efficient, and some older plants that are still going because either the transmitters have been maintained well and are still reliable, or the owners are too cheap or broke to replace them.

I've repaired plenty of damage from direct lightning strikes, and also have stood inside transmitter plants and watched sparks jump around in between poorly grounded equipment racks and STILL had nothing suffer damage. Now remember, this is equipment attached to what amounts to a HUGE EMF pulse collector (antennas and towers), and still this equipment survives direct lightning strikes. Yes, it survives mostly because we have ways of shunting those pulses to ground and dissipate harmlessly, but it's not as difficult as you think, and EMF isn't nearly as destructive to solid state devices as Hollywood has made it seem. Most transmitter plants have a big inductor shunting static buildup to ground without affecting the outgoing RF power. Most AM transmitters, where the entire tower or multiple towers in a directional array is the antenna, there is a pair of metal balls at the base of the tower, placed just far enough apart that the voltage from the outgoing RF doesn't make the leap, but any static buildup or a direct lightning strike just gets dissipated as a big, fluffy spark that jumps across "the ball gap" as we call it.

Now compare those big towers and antennas to your cell phone, or even the wiring in your vehicle. There is very little conductive material in a phone to induce enough of a pulse from a nearby strike, whether it be nuclear or lightning, to cause damage. Same with a car or an RV.

I do take steps to protect this bus from lightning, which I am way more concerned with than a nuke strike, including making sure the body is properly earth grounded, and any cables/wires traversing through the body to the outside are run through hand-wound ferrite core toroids designed to be reactive to very low frequencies. There are plenty of simple ways to protect yourself and your stuff, but seriously though... Don't obsess over it. Take sensible steps for lightning protection, and you've also protected yourself against a nuke EMP, as best as you realistically ever could or need to.

My $.02. TIFWIW

vanstu said:
On electro-magnetic pulse--

Many war scenarios start with a high altitude nuclear blast over the target country. Briefly when a warhead goes off outside the atmosphere there is no air to take it and so the energy goes out in electro-magenetic form. Any (unshielded) IC within it's range will get fried. The social chaos it will cause will help the attacking country and hinder and retard any governments attempts to assist in the catastrophe. If you want to curl your hair read "One second after" by Fortgen I believe.

As far as van life-- any computer/EFI/electric fuel pump ETC are toast. You would just glide to a halt while on the road and you're done. Photovoltaic panels will actually still put out voltage afterwards but the blocking diode is gone. I learned this the hard way while running a Tesla coil too close to my array. Older vehicles with mechanical fuel pumps and points ignition will most likely still run (unless the capacitor(condenser) and points in the distributor gets fried) They're cheap and if you keep a spare in a metal box (Faraday cage) it's a quick repair. 99% of vacuum tube devices will still work but since the invention of transistors they are antiques now. Remember that the incoming power lines from a solar array will allow the pulse inside your van and fry everything.

Not to be all doom and gloom here but an EMP pulse would be devastating to anyone who has ICs. It is why most war scenarios start with one. :(  :exclamation:
That was a great read actually, and more believable than a lot of the Pandemic/Alien/Meteor/Natural Disaster/WW3 books and movies. Still it showed that it takes a community to even be possible to survive and that isn't happening for most vehicle dwellers who want to be "free" and on their own. 

My pitiful attempts to have a few bottles of propane, some batteries and a gas stove won't last me a week.

Reflectix actually does a really good job at this

Latest posts