Your van's a what, a Faraday Cage?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
So with all the doom & gloom of things in general, I clicked a link from a social media site and watched a video connecting modern day happenings to Biblical predictions, saying the US was Mystery Babylon and how we get obliterated with a new type of weapon, an EMP.
So it turns out the video is to sell a survivalist book on surviving w/o electricity and running water and how to make a Faraday Cage to protect electronics.
So searching I found an article on turning your vehicle into a Faraday Shield to protect it from an EMP attack, and being mostly metal you're pretty good except the windshield, and maybe roofs, especially those of us with high tops such as myself.
I find it an interesting topic, and doesn't look to be difficult to do so looking further into and may take some steps to help EMP proof my van, especially while it's in process.
So I'm curious, anyone else on here heard of such, entertained such, or considered such?
I'll post up anything further I find, just for fun!

I just drive around my old vehicles and use things that don’t involve micro chips or computers in general while wearing my tin foil hat to keep them from tracking the me with the implant I’m sure is already installed. Lol!!! I did consider living in a cave by parking inside it once though!

About 10+ years ago when the Great Recession hit it was sort of a popular topic here on the forum.

One thing mentioned was that you would need to go back to a points ignition to be sure your vehicle would run.

You would also need a carb instead of EFI and your alternator may not regulate voltage very well.

RoadtrekUrbanCombatVarient.png
I'm more than ready lol.
RoadtrekDriverside.png

I think if an EMP hit I would be on foot to stay inconspicuous because people may act desperate and a big van may peak the interest of the looters. I do keep a small ham radio and other radios in a Faraday cage JIC.

In an EMP situation, you will want to hunker down and stay invisible to hide from the curious/hungry. I'm not sure there is a way to protect the fragile electronics of a solar array, and the controllers/batteries to power anything, including a ham radio. Depending on the proximity, and strength of the EMP, it's possible that NOTHING electronic will operate, so even if you have a faraday cage to protect your equipment, you may not be able to contact/hear anyone else.

Perhaps the best idea is to have a bicycle/tent along with you, and bury your provisions for later use.

I'm not sure even simple electrical item will survive an EMP attack.

There was a Solar Burst back in the 1860's that melted the Telegraph line and burned the poles they were attached to.

It was called the Carrington Event I believe.

A true Faraday Cage must have some reference to "zero EMF". A connection to a ground stake will do that. My copper foil hats have a platinum wire that trails on the ground by my heel.

Weight said:
My copper foil hats have a platinum wire that trails on the ground by my heel.

It's nice to know that you're a well-grounded individual.

ckelly78z said:
Depending on the proximity, and strength of the EMP, it's possible that NOTHING electronic will operate, so even if you have a faraday cage to protect your equipment, you may not be able to contact/hear anyone else.

Right, a working phone on a non-working system is useless. I mean, look at the situation in Texas right now. Even if you have a way to charge your phone, the communications networks are all messed up.

And say you protect your vehicle's electronics, but the gas station pumps don't work.

Humanity is like a bunch of cockroaches, some always seem to survive! Lol!!!

MrNoodly said:
Right, a working phone on a non-working system is useless. I mean, look at the situation in Texas right now. Even if you have a way to charge your phone, the communications networks are all messed up.

And say you protect your vehicle's electronics, but the gas station pumps don't work.

Yeah, but once a cell tower opens up, don't you want the ability to access it?
If you stumble across a can of gas, wouldn't you rather have the ability to run an engine?
In the case this were to happen, and EMP devices did disrupt gas pumps, there would be manual pumping or some other method.
My reasoning is an ounce of prevention, whether it's to drive or just start the engine to charge batteries.
We have entirely too large a stockpile of gas to disrupt flow due to loss of power, may slow the heck out of it though.

Yeah, tell that to all those people trying to find an open station that still had gas to sell yesterday and this was just cold weather!

As far as gasoline availability in an EMP event, there will be plenty of useless vehicles parked everywhere with full fuel tanks, you just need a safe way of draining that fuel into a catch can. Vehicles/tractors/motorcycles/minibikes with points/condenser ignition should still run.

I would take exception to someone trying to take gas out of my vehicle.  You're still taking something that doesn't belong to you.

Any EMP event that seriously disrupts will weld points together and fry the condenser.

^
Everyone's probably imagining a wild, apocalyptic scenario where anything goes.

There are several threads on this if you search. Most wouldn’t want or be able to deal with living if they did happen to survive, take it from me, a former Titan II combat crew member.

Latest posts