Will it Vegan? From meatloaf to tofu. An odyssey of deliciousness.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carry on then....you ask for evidence, when presented with it, you have no intention of looking at it, instead you attack the funding source, yet you quote stuff that was likely put out there by the milk marketing boards and the cattleman’s association, two organisation that stand to loose something if the truth really got out and have been working hard at keeping misinformation on the front pages.. Omega 3 /6 synthesizing, no protein,b12, Armenia, a flax seed sandwich, a concoction of a thousand different exotic leaves in order to make a balance meal. It is not a hardship to eat vegan all the same recipes or meals you have always had except you leave out the meat and dairy. So tonight instead of having steak potato and salad with bacon bits, you have potato and salad, maybe have two potatoes and a bit more salad and add a few sunflower seeds, walnuts and some chickpeas. Instead of smothering you potatoes with butter use coconut oil , soya sauce or chili sauce. A teaspoon of tahini, olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, a pinch of pepper and salt, mixed and poured over your salad if you want some extra flavour. What is hard about that.. Tahini, hummus or any chutney is also nice with your potatoes. This is a perfectly balanced meal. Breakfasts are easy toast and nut butters, mix it up for variety, slice a tomato over it, or any fruit that is in season, or a bowl of whole meal cereal with either almond, rice or soy milk depending on your preferences, lunch can be a fried tofu sandwich with mustard, sourcrout , lettuce or a handful of leftover salad from last nights supper on whole grain bread using avocado or humus instead of butter maybe a drop of leftover salad dressing from the night before. It is not voodoo....oh and by the way the government may have steered you right about eggs best to keep them at a minimal if you can, see what Michael Gregger has to say about them he checked out a bunch of research on them, I didn’t like what he had to say but he explains how your body reacts shortly after eating eggs, i cut down after hearing it . Cheerios are not too bad, I think they are just whole grain. Not sure though it is not on my menu, but I sometimes buy bran flakes which i think are pretty good.

Nutrition studies are such a hive of bad science that one can find 'studies' that support any position you want.

Just one example:
Lancet publishes (August 29, 2017) study that finds that high-carb diets were linked to icreased mortality rates and that eating saturated fat and meat was protective: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)32252-3/fulltext
Then in August 16, 2018 Lancet Public Health publishes a study with contrasting results: Low-carb diets that were high in meat increased mortality rates.    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

Both studies have MD's and PhD's with great credentials from prestigious institutions.

XYCD rightly mocked their 'scientific method':  https://www.xkcd.com/882/

You can believe any 'evidence' you want, I choose a high level of skepticism of all of it.

flying kurbmaster said:
I think you will find that most vegans, these days, don’t eat dairy because, it is not a healthy product for anyone over 3, you should watch the ‘Truth About Milk”same with honey it is just another form of sugar not much better for you then white sugar, have a gander at the” Sugar Film” or “That Sugar Movie”. Animal/insect love have very little to nothing to do with it. You can argue that but again sensationalizing a diet choice and making out that they are misguided and/or misinformed. Those who want empirical evidence should read the China Study, by Dr Collin Campbell over FOUR decades of study on the topic of diet and long term health, the most comprehensive ever done, funded by the American tax payer you should get your moneys worth. Or maybe you could read Dr Michael Gregger’s  ‘How not to Die’ it has hundreds of pages with thousands of references to different world wide studies on the topic, you can look at each one if you need proof, a word of warning you may not like the results of that research. Or have a look at the Blue zones, that has been studied add infinitive, documntaries made,  areas on the planet where people live longest and healthier, their habits, diets and lifestyles. There is one in California a seventh day Adventist’s town you could check out the Walmart next time you drive through the area see if the lettuce is washed with holy water.

have you actually read the study, or did you just read some articles that reference the "conclusions" from the study. that "study" and most all others are like the bible, i can quote parts of it ti my liking to support what ever conclusions suit my needs or funding sources

flying kurbmaster said:
Carry on then....you ask for evidence, when presented with it, you have no intention of looking at it,  instead you attack the funding source, yet you quote stuff that was likely  put out there by the milk marketing boards and the cattleman’s association, two organisation that stand to loose something if the truth really got out and have been working hard at keeping misinformation on the front pages.. Omega 3 /6 synthesizing, no protein,b12, Armenia, a flax seed sandwich, a concoction of a thousand different exotic leaves in order to make a balance meal. It is not a hardship to eat vegan all the same recipes or meals you have always had except you leave out the meat and dairy. So tonight instead of having steak potato and salad with bacon bits, you have potato and salad, maybe have two potatoes and a bit more salad and add a few sunflower seeds, walnuts and some chickpeas. Instead of smothering you potatoes with butter use coconut oil , soya sauce or chili sauce. A teaspoon of tahini, olive oil, crushed garlic, lemon juice, a pinch of pepper and salt, mixed and poured over your salad if you want some extra flavour. What is hard about that.. Tahini, hummus or any chutney is also nice with your potatoes. This is a perfectly balanced meal. Breakfasts are easy toast and nut butters, mix it up for variety, slice a tomato over it, or any fruit that is in season, or a bowl of whole meal cereal  with either almond, rice or soy milk depending on your preferences, lunch can be a fried tofu sandwich with mustard, sourcrout , lettuce or a handful of leftover salad from last nights supper on whole grain bread using avocado or humus instead of butter maybe a drop of leftover salad dressing from the night before.  It is not voodoo....oh and by the way the government may have steered you right about eggs best to keep them at a minimal if you can, see what Michael Gregger has to say about them he checked out a bunch of research on them, I didn’t like what he had to say but he explains how your body reacts shortly after eating eggs, i cut down after hearing it . Cheerios are not too bad, I think they are just whole grain. Not sure though it is not on my menu, but I sometimes buy bran flakes which i think are pretty good.

why is it vegans feel the need to rationalize their choice and tell me why and how i should be vegan. i never told a vegan they need to eat meat. do as you like, but get off the unsubstantiated soap box that your choice is right. hell, if it works for you, go for it. i could go tit for tat with any of your stats. but i have no desire to change you or bend you to my will. i am happy with my life choices and feel no need to vindicate them by preaching. enjoy your salad, more steak for me

There have been quite a few take-downs of the China Study for bad methodology. That kind of thing is actually extremely common; it's a huge problem in medicine and science today.

A recipe that's so easy & so good! While I am very partial to Asian cuisine & culture, I've made other versions as well, also using all raw vegetables with a dressing, or raw cabbage leaves for the wrap. There are many ways boost the nutritional value of any meal, do your research. Use your imagination & let your taste buds lead the way...so many flavors & options to suit you...experiment & enjoy!

Seminole Wind said:
have you actually read the study, or did you just read some articles that reference the "conclusions" from the study. that "study" and most all others are like the bible, i can quote parts of it ti my liking to support what ever conclusions suit my needs or funding sources

Yes I have read it, cover to cover, I also read how not to die, and many others along with many podcasts videos, movies, documentaries on the topic. I don’’t give a Flying fig what you eat,  I am offering information that you can look at if you are interested, good information, you are the one that has no information to the contrary, why are you even in this thread if you are not interested, just to nay say. The first book I ever read on vegetarians was a bit over thirty years ago,” Diet for a New PLanet” or Diet for a new World “ not sure which one, the on by John Robyns the grandson of Baskin Robyns ice cream. I read them both around the time and titles are similar. I was with a friend and was sharing the stats on land use, the numbers, about how we feed good protein to animals only to end up with less, the pounds per acre between meat and Vegetables etc, as we were driving, because I was fascinated by the numbers because they were so big, and I had a hard time believing it. He’s reaction was crazy, he lost it in my car telling me that anybody can make those numbers up, etc all this stuff, he was angry with me for even bringing it up. I had to say wait a minute, that his reaction was over the top, and that I was happy to change the subject, and that I didn’t quite understand why he was so worked up, I wasn’t a vegetarian I don’t even know how that book landed on me, I wasn’t advocating just sharing information making small talk, about something I had just learnt. A week later I pick him up again, the first thing he says to me is “I have decided to be a vegetarian” with a big stupid grin on his face.

XERTYX said:
Do you have a recipe that can be made vegetarian with one or two adjustments? Say so. We're a tribe. That's the mentality I signed up for when I joined here. I dont like seafood. I want to but dont. That's a fact about me as an individual. Some choose not to eat animal products as a moral decision. Let's not shun our brethren. Instead bring them further into the circle. For they are us. We share a symbiotic relationship.

I thought the OP's post was very genuine and it saddens me that so many felt threatened enough to not honor the intention. Some (not all) seemed very strident and intolerant of other people's choices. Seriously? If you aren't veggie or vegan why not just move on to the next post?

/rant

I am mostly veggie but I do like some salmon and shrimp occasionally. My children and grandchildren are vegan so I've been learning how to make some dishes (especially the "family tradition" ones) that way. My greatest victory was "Mom's Rice Pudding" with almond milk and no eggs. It was a huge hit! Most cakes and cookies can be adapted to be very close to the original recipes.

My next quest is to find a good ice cream and/or pudding adaptation. I can eat rice and veggies all day long but when I've got a sweet tooth going on I love my sweet and creamy desserts!  :D

As long as you have access to raisins and a million kinds (well maybe not that many!) of dried fruits, as well as just regular fresh fruits or macerated fruits (fresh or frozen), you have a lot of room to pick and choose among your sweets for even the most sweet-toothed kids.

dawnann7 said:
I thought the OP's post was very genuine and it saddens me that so many felt threatened enough to not honor the intention. Some (not all) seemed very strident and intolerant of other people's choices. Seriously? If you aren't veggie or vegan why not just move on to the next post?
Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately tempers flare over the internet. It's easier to troll sometimes but I've came to the conclusion over my years of using forums that if you're genuine other well meaning people will find you. Sift thru the chaff and find the grain. That's my motto. I hold no Ill will towards people with different viewpoints. The only thing that makes us the same is that we're all different. 

I'd be very interested to hear about your rice pudding recipe. My grandmother made the best rice pudding I've ever put in my mouth but there is a brand available in the super market I like very much. Kozy shack I believe it's called.

So the other day I was at the shops, and bought a package of wraps, I had a look at them when I got back and noticed CRICKET written on the packaging and it turns out they are made with CRicket flour, 3.1%. Anyone ever tried insects, I here they are the latest trend in protein not that I ever worry about protein. I am not sure if I am going to eat these wraps the jury is still out.

B and C said:
^^^You would have eaten them happily if you hadn't looked.

This is true... however let me share a story.

When I was making an attempt to eat a vegan diet. I still used leather but didnt shop for it. (The hides were still going to be there anyway right? Buying leather wouldnt cause more animals to be killed. The hides were a by product of the meat industry I told myself)

I had been totally vegan for about 3 months. 9 months or so prior vegetarian. So about a year with no meat or eggs.

I looked in the VEGGIE section where i bought veggie protein "ground beef" et al.

I found some veggie patch brand spinach nuggets. Cooked and ate them and though jeez. If i could make these at home I'd eat them all the time and i looked at the label to see the ingredients so i could try a recipe. Egg whites...... 

I instantly felt violently Ill like I was going to be sick. The next day I got a cheeseburger from Mickey Ds. 

Not eating meat is a personal choice and if you break your own rules even by accident you may have a psychological response. I loved the food. But knowing what it contained made me sick because I had decided not to eat that as a moral choice.

I decided at that moment that I could make the choice to eat anything I wanted, but sometimes better choices could be a salad with cheese and ranch dressing. Or spaghetti with soy protein instead of beef. I eat what I want but look back on my experience as a time I learned other ways to eat good food that i enjoy.

Glad to see some vegan/vegetarian recipes here. I love Black Bean Soup.  Just need one can of veggie broth, two cans of rinsed black beans, a half jar of salsa,( I use the medium size Pace jar with the yellow lid.) a couple teaspoons of cumin, Heat and Serve with cracker and if you can find the vegan sour cream, I top it with that and some sliced green onions.

Eggplant and potatoes are both a good substitute for noodles.  Here’s a lasagna I make sometimes.
Blend a package of silken tofu with your tomato sauce (fresh herbs rule).  This is where you add sugar, if that is what you do.
Thinly slice peeled eggplant, zucchini, white potatoes, and other Italian sort of veggies you like.
Starting with the tomato tofu mixture, layer potato, eggplant, sauce, spinach, potato, sauce, zucchini, eggplant, sauce.  Continue layering as much as you want.
Cook at 350-450 for about an hour.  This is good in a Dutch oven or solar oven as well as others.
Separate cold garnishes: olives, crushed nuts, parsley
Serves a crowd.
*not everyone likes this, but you might want to try marinating the eggplant in Italian dressing.  Just stick those pieces in a corner so it doesn’t ruin the rest, until you know*

While I'm not vegan, my daughter and her family are, so when they come for dinner, I strictly adhere to their diet requirements and have learned to love vegan meals. I love recipes from the Fat Free Vegan She has a soup called Dirty Little Secret (Vegetable) Soup that is really a dump and go. But it makes a pot full and if you have big family you should try it.
I went to Burger King and had a Impossible Burger and darned if it didn't taste exactly like a Whopper, but most vegans won't touch them with a ten foot poll because they are cooked on the same grill as their other burgers and they put mayo on them, which kind of ruins the whole thing for vegans.

"Eggplant and potatoes are both a good substitute for noodles."

I am not understanding why you use this phrase. Aren't noodles vegan?

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

When I am on the road, the easiest things for me to cook include rice with cuz veggies and whatever sauce - mix and match to your heart’s content - or potatoes, baked, roasted, Friend. Also with veggies and any sauce.

The website Brand New Vegan has some great comfort food recipes.

The best thing about vegan foods is that they don’t require refrigeration, which is awesome in my little van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been vegan for 5 years. I decided to try a plant based diet rather than start taking blood pressure and cholesterol meds. I also had a 2 and a 3 cm flat polyp removed from my colon which is attributed to a red meat diet. Cheeseburgers were my comfort food. After 5 months my doctor reported my vitals were all normal and said whatever you are doing keep on doing. I feel better, have more energy and basically I'm not taking pills so I have zero reason to return to meat, cheese and anything that either has or comes from something with a face. You can find tons of excellent recipes on line with texture and flavor.