Will it Vegan? From meatloaf to tofu. An odyssey of deliciousness.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the OPs question was "Do you have a recipe that can be made vegetarian with one or two adjustments?"
I will often use TVP in my soups or casseroles that call for ground beef.

I have been vegan since June of 2017 and have lost 35lbs eating carbs liberally! I spent my whole life restricting carbs thinking they were the enemy and it couldn't be any further from the truth.

All soy products make me quite ill, which I suspect is due to all the chemicals used in the soybean fields and later processing leaving a residual in the beans themselves. Can't count the number of friends lost to cancer.   ~crofter

https://www.cornucopia.org/2009/05/...MIoqTSut_i5QIVl9hkCh2HXQiMEAAYAiAAEgLijvD_BwE

https://www.roundupreadyplus.com/resourcecenter/postemergence_herbicide_applications_in_soybean/

https://www.roundup-claims.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoqTSut_i5QIVl9hkCh2HXQiMEAAYASAAEgKeEPD_BwE

Are there any vegans out there camping on BLM lands who want to join up and camp together? It would be nice to share food and do potlucks sometimes.

Janeen I think you would get better results if you gave a general area and not just "BLM land". I know there will be a few around Quartzsite after the 1st. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Janeen I think you would get better results if you gave a general area and not just "BLM land".  I know there will be a few around Quartzsite after the 1st.  highdesertranger

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am currently at American Girl Mine near Winterhaven, CA.  I plan to attend the RTR.  I would like to spend the winter in the warm southwest, but other than that, I am flexible on location.  If there is anyone who would like to do a vegan meetup, please contact me.

Janeen there is a party coming up near you

Please send me the details.  I am contemplating where to go from here. 

Thanks,
Janeen

The schedule is on this page if you scroll down. This will be held out in your area

http://nomadcentercamp.com/

dc984c03a2e82ea987213d71bd85e18c.jpg

I plan to go but I’m in KY right now. I’ll be flying back to Quartzsite on the 26th and hope to head to that location on the 27th. You can certainly park with us if you care to. There will be a few in my group. Just PM me if you are interested and I’ll give you my number.

Slow Cooker Seitan (maple snausage)
srv 2

3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground sage
1/8 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 1/4 cups water, divided, 1/4 cup for the seitan and 1 cup for the crock pot
2 Tbl tomato sauce
1 Tbl maple syrup
1 Tbl ketchup
1/2 tsp coconut oil
16 ounces vegetable broth

To Make a Snausage Sandwich:

1/2 Tbl oil for sauteing
1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, diced
1/2 Tbl butter or oil
1/2 cup seitan maple links
1/2 avocado, sliced at the last minute
2 slices whole wheat bread

Links:

This recipe makes 16 little links. This is more than needed for a sandwich, but then, I can have snausages for breakfast
rolleyes.png

Add the first 6 ingredients to a large bowl. Mix well. 

In a separate small bowl add 1/4 cup water, tomato sauce, maple syrup, ketchup, salt, oil. Mix well. 

To the slow cooker add vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Cover and turn on low.

Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the tomato sauce  wet mixture.   Stir. This comes together quickly.

Start to knead in the bowl. It is a wet mixture but will start to become elastic. Knead about 3 to 4 minutes for a softer and tender breakfast link. 

Pinch off small chunks and then roll between the palms of your hands, quickly back and forth. You really can’t form a pretty link but it works.  To make these small links you'll have 16.  If you're fine with larger links then you can make 8.  The small ones will be about 3" to 4" long.

Drop the links into the crock pot liquid.

Cover and cook for 7 to 8 hours. They will plump up and become larger in size.

Remove from the slow cooker and continue with the sandwich preparation. 

To Make The Sandwiches:

Heat the oil in a skillet.

Add onions and bell peppers and saute for about 15 minutes or until the onion is lightly golden.

Remove the vegetables from the pan and set aside.

Add the butter (oil) to the pan and heat.

Add snausage links to the pan and brown on all sides.  If you made the larger size of links then slice lengthwise through the center and fry that way.  The snausages are already cooked all the way through and can be eaten cold but this makes the sandwich nicer.

Spread bread with favored condiments, layer onion mixture, seitan and then avocado.
images.png
& a lil Vegan humor for your day!
Yes, I have some solar for the crockpot & make this boondocking.

Attachments

• images.png
    images.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 3