Belated Intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayell

Reaction score
Hello all!

Just realized I've never actually introduced myself. Oops  :blush:  My name is Karen but I usually go by kayell online. I found this site and forum while searching for solutions to living on a low income that wouldn't involve living in a hole in the wall without any ability to have fun in my "elder years." Or working as a W-mart greeter to the end of my days.  :( 

My first favored option until recently was to immigrate and establish residency in a less expensive country, with Ecuador as top choice. It has a lot of the qualities I want - incredible biodiversity, very reasonable and good health care (if you're in a city), easy residency requirements, free or cheap culture, interesting things to learn and do, good public transportation that would allow eliminating the expense of a car. But it would take me far from my daughter, grandkids, brothers, nieces and nephew. It's still in the running because I can make the flight costs work once a year if careful.

On the other hand, van dwelling will give me much of the same. The US has huge biodiversity also, just more spread out. Vehicle costs would swap out for housing costs. Piles of new things to do and see with mobility. I'm learning Spanish which would be useful in the US too. AND it would be much easier to see family more often. I think I could do van dwelling more cheaply.

Currently I'm probably 2 1/2 years out from hitting the road/any other option. This is based on two things - waiting to take early SS at 62 and taking care of my mother who is 84, frail and has COPD. I've been with her since late 2010. She fortunately is completely there mentally when she is healthy, but needs someone on hand to cook, clean, drive her to anything more than around town, and be around when she has exacerbations of her condition. These have been scary and unexpected over the years. (She's one of the 10% of COPD sufferers who never smoked) She's been hospitalized 3 times over the last 2 years, the last time for 8 days followed by a 2 weeks nursing home stay. It's scary.

I moved to her house rather than moving her to mine because my job at the time had turned toxic, plus it seemed healthier to have her near her established doctor, friends, church and other support system. My nearest brother is 70 miles away here, rather than 550. I had little to lose by moving. This has worked out well, other than that I haven't been able to find work in my field (horticulture). As it turns out, being with her almost all the time has probably saved her life at least once, so I stopped looking and keep busy with other things. The house has a mature garden that I planted 26 years ago. 

At the time I came up, neither brother was in as good a position as me to take mom on. They and my 38 yr old daughter know that in 2 1/2 years they'll need to take her care on. I love her deeply, but I don't want my own life to stay on hold longer than that. They are all in better places to help out now. It sounds like they're all up for it. 

When I was a kid, my parents took us on lots of trips, mostly up and down the east coast, but also to Colorado and some points in between. We spent lots of time exploring nature. I still need that constant connection to natural places. It's hard now because my mother's health limits her ability to travel.

I've spent time in NM, where my daughter lives, St Pete FL where my grandparents lived, the panhandle where my daughter lived for a while, SC where I still own a house. (great little house, nice neighborhood, cheap, but in an area that is severely economically damaged).  I've been in most states west of Nevada, at least briefly. I've lived most of my life in the area between Richmond and Baltimore, mostly circling the outer DC burbs. Wonderful place for free museums and culture and interesting things to do. My grandparents had a very small farm where they raised a pretty much all their produce and meat. They had a small daylily nursery too. It was a wonderful place to visit and I spent several summers there. Gardening, farming and the love of all kinds of plants run down both sides of the family. 

When I was a kid my favorite book was 'My Side of the Mountain'. I wanted to run away from home and live in a tree too. I settled for exploring every inch of woods near me and munching on beech nuts, wild cherries, mayapples and anything else edible. It was fun and a time when kids got to be kids without hovering. Interests are foraging (still), reading, cooking, walking, games, gardening (both ornamental and edible), wild plants, history, and all kinds of other things. My mother was a librarian and turned her kids into information sponges. We all NEED something to learn.

Getting on the road is obviously still in the planning stage. My Prius is smaller than I want unless I'm forced into it early, but I like smaller vehicles. SUVs are appealing for roaming desires, mini vans for their size ideal for my needs. I've taken my cars in the past up truly unsuitable tracks and trails, but caution seems to have set in lately. Fortunately I have money set aside for a suitable vehicle and backup. Hopefully the dang house will sell. 

I'm in the stage of figuring out what I NEED, what I desire, what is unnecessary and trimming to fit budget and space. Reading this site is incredibly helpful. Thank you all for your expertise and experience.

Sorry for the long windedness.  :blush:

Most unusual thing I've done to date: Lived in a rural commune for 6 months. It wasn't for me, I'm too much of a independent loner/introvert, but it was interesting and I learned a lot. I've milked cows, made hammocks, cooked dinner multiple times for 100 people, swum naked in lakes, planted gardens, been a head gardener in a botanical garden, written articles about gardening and plants, and many other things. I'm eager for whatever is next.

Hi Karen, very nice intro!

You have a skill I would love to have developed, being able to forage.  I can almost tell which plant is poison ivy, so I've got that going for me.   :p

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Karen! There are a couple of us here taking care of our parents.I do it half the year, although that could change at anytime. and go either way.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forum :)

It sounds like you are well rounded and cut out for being able to "work camp" or "work travel".   Your Gardening skills alone could support you along with your ability to write about it.  It shows that you are dynamic enough to express yourself clearly.

One thing you may want to look into if you settle for awhile in one place where it is offered for free is becoming a "Master Gardener".   There is this TV show I used to see early on Saturday Morning PBS titled "Garden Travels" hosted by Dave Egbert.   He traveled around making videos of various gardens and using his journalistic ability to bring these gardens to those with interest.

Garden Travels

[video=dailymotion]

If you are stringing Hammocks like this one,

hammock-drip-strings.jpg

And had a portable sewing machine where you could sew mosquito net "Bar's" to cover the hammock
you could make money doing that too.  Even if you had a sewing machine and could measure people's Vans
door openings and windows  to make screens for them (sewing magnetic plastic strip in the seams)
you could do alright.

Cooking is always a great skill to have.  If you were to get the Serve Safe 2 day course so you could carry the
certification card with you and get a CPR/First Aid certificate you would most likely be welcome anywhere
to cook or work in food service as you travel.  I would suggest you get a website together showcasing your cooking skills with photos of you on a job  or working in a Commercial Kitchen (think volunteering to get those photos).  Have one for Gardening, and one for Hammock making etc, and you could travel the country    without requiring much equipment at all.  Just a fixed up Van rig and you'd be good to go.

All the best !

Queen said:
You have a skill I would love to have developed, being able to forage.  I can almost tell which plant is poison ivy, so I've got that going for me.   :p

Hey Queen, foraging is great fun once you learn the local edible plants. It mostly take practice and time learning to recognize the patterns of leaves/flowers/stems etc. You might be able to find foraging or plant ID classes at a nature center or botanical garden. I'd be seriously handicapped now on western, northern and tropical plants, but once you develop the ability to fully see plants, that ability makes it much easier to learn new ones. It's a shame that our world has trained us better to see corporate logos than parts of nature, but it's a skill that can be learned.

Maybe we'll meet one day on the road and rustle up some wild lunch together.

eDJ_ said:
It sounds like you are well rounded and cut out for being able to "work camp" or "work travel".   Your Gardening skills alone could support you along with your ability to write about it.  It shows that you are dynamic enough to express yourself clearly.

One thing you may want to look into if you settle for awhile in one place where it is offered for free is becoming a "Master Gardener".   There is this TV show I used to see early on Saturday Morning PBS titled "Garden Travels" hosted by Dave Egbert.   He traveled around making videos of various gardens and using his journalistic ability to bring these gardens to those with interest.

Garden Travels

[video=dailymotion]

Wow! Thank you. I'm not aiming to do much on the road working at this point. My last job left me totally burnt out, but less obligation, more freedom, working for myself might change my mind. Short term snatches would be ok. It's nice to know my skills would be of use.

Master Gardener's - Not for me. I used to train MGs. LOL Great service, but 2 things went wrong with that plan. MGs get between 40 and 60 hours training in most states, yet the name implies vast experience, both to the public and to the MGs. Second MGs are volunteers aka free labor. A lot of states have cut funds and replaced highly skilled professionals with volunteers, rather than using volunteers as help, an addition to the programs. One of the reasons I couldn't find a job up here was because volunteers like MGs (and unskilled laborers) have been used to replace most of the work I've done. There are jobs for minimum wage workers and there are jobs for high up management, but almost all the rest have disappeared.

Even companies like landscaping firms and garden centers are playing the game by rotating through an endless parade of unpaid "interns" who then discover they can't get a decent paying job. People pay (or pay taxes) for lower quality work and info, but since they don't know better and don't complain, the companies and the govt agencies are happy.

Sorry for that rant - unfortunately that's the short version. Bitter? Nah. Maybe just a bit.

Thanks for the link to Dave Egbert. That's brilliant and would be fun too. I'd actually thought of doing something very similar with a blog. Videos would be ideal mixed in with a blog and I've done a few videos before although they made me twitchy. Probably something I could get used to. Since one of my bucket list items is to visit every public garden in the US (Canada too?) this is a great idea.

kayell said:
Hey Queen, foraging is great fun once you learn the local edible plants. It mostly take practice and time learning to recognize the patterns of leaves/flowers/stems etc. You might be able to find foraging or plant ID classes at a nature center or botanical garden. I'd be seriously handicapped now on western, northern and tropical plants, but once you develop the ability to fully see plants, that ability makes it much easier to learn new ones. It's a shame that our world has trained us better to see corporate logos than parts of nature, but it's a skill that can be learned.

Maybe we'll meet one day on the road and rustle up some wild lunch together.

That would be so fun!  Had a friend years ago who could do that, we'd eat "found salad" lunches together whenever we could.

Nice intro indeed! I have a family member who's considering moving to Uruguay for similar reasons and says it's expatriate-friendly. Personally I'm still planning on maintaining residence in country for now, but that could easily change with the times and it's good to keep the options open! I really like reading about Van-Tramp's adventures south of the border for this reason, too.

Welcome, and very nice intro. Many people overlook the benefits that Social Security pays to caregivers. Without getting into your business, I just wanted to let you know that they are there.

Welcome aboard the forums Kayell !
I've lived most of my life out on the road but now am taking care of my mom too.
Major karma points for what you are doing. Enjoy your time together .

Your intro tells me you have many of the skills to do something called Worka mping.
Working in campgrounds for a site and sometimes pay as well.
There are lots of other places you might also find an enjoyable job , like in the National Park system and National Forests or State Parks .
Or out of your vehicle like has been mentioned here.

I have friends that are living in other countries south of the border and always enjoy hearing their stories of what it is like there. (Even the scarier ones.) You will be a "gringo" there for a long time before being accepted as one of them though.
I prefer to stay here in the US , there are so many places to explore and absorb right here before I have any urge to go down there......

There are a few here living in a Prius so you could find some tips on that too.

Selling your place can set you up in any vehicle you decide is right for you.

Don't be shy about asking anything you want to find out more about here.
There are lots of folks with tons of experience you can benefit from.

DannyB1954 said:
Welcome, and very nice intro. Many people overlook the benefits that Social Security pays to caregivers. Without getting into your business, I just wanted to let you know that they are there.

No I didn't know about that. It sure would be helpful. I'm having trouble finding the right info on the ssa.gov site. Do you have the name of the program or any additional keywords that might narrow my search?

Thank you!

kayell said:
No I didn't know about that. It sure would be helpful. I'm having trouble finding the right info on the ssa.gov site. Do you have the name of the program or any additional keywords that might narrow my search?

Thank you!

I don't know details as I have never participated, but I have known people who said they were paid for caregiving. I thought or assumed it was through S.S.. as the elder person was on that. Now it appears to be not through Social Security but State run programs. 

Here is an AARP explanation. http://www.aarp.org/home-family/car...-i-get-paid-for-taking-care-of-my-mother.html 

I came across this site that also helps explain. 
https://usodep.blogs.govdelivery.com/2012/11/20/can-full-time-family-caregivers-get-paid/

This site says SS can pay SSI in addition to regular benefits and the caregiver can be paid through that.  https://www.agingcare.com/Questions/social-security-pay-you-to-take-care-of-parents-148387.htm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-t...d-for-being-a-family-caregiver_b_3938391.html

This one has a map to link you to at least one of your States resources. https://nrcpds.bc.edu/insights-publications.php

I now think it all comes through a branch of medicaid, (not medicare).

There are also programs where an outside person can come in to visit and help care for your elder taking some of the burden off of you. http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare.NET/Public/Index.aspx

An acquaintance of mine is in his 70's. The County was paying a housekeeper to come in and clean his place once a week. That was until they found out he was still building hot rod cars for a hobby, (pulling motors/ transmissions etc.) I guess they figured he was well enough to sweep his own floor. Anyway the point being that local Government may also have some assistance for you.

This site helps look for benefits in your area https://www.benefitscheckup.org/ click on get started now. You could try plugging in the info for just your elder and see what they are entitled to.

I am sorry that I thought it was a simple automatic procedure. I hope in your State assistance is available.

[quote pid='218145' dateline='1471471233']
I am sorry that I thought it was a simple automatic procedure. I hope in your State assistance is available.
[/quote]

No problem. It's worth looking into. I thought that might be the case since I usually have good google-fu. We've looked into things in the past, but my mother made enough working until she was in her late 70s that she has piles of SS and also my fathers SS. Pretty sure anything connected to Medicaid is out because of that. 

I'm not too worried about myself - I'll have a small but bearable amount of SS, a couple of small retirement accounts I can access at 65, modest savings, and eventually an unknown portion of inheritance that will at least give me a safety net for emergencies. Hoping that doesn't come anytime soon. Eventually my house will sell. (Anyone need a really sweet little house in Upstate SC?) If necessary at some point when not caring for mom, I'll work at a job I can walk away from if it get's too stressful*. I also have family if things ever get really bad, and family doesn't get turned away.

*the last one turned so bad that one of my coworkers and I had physical reactions. She had serious heart pain (can't remember the term) and I wound up with migraines and uncontrollable vomiting. Shame. The work was interesting and useful, but the working conditions went from blah to bad to horrifically stressful. So bad that it was almost a blessing that I needed to come up here and help out.

Welcome Kayell!

It sounds like you will be able to make vandwelling work well for you financially even without taking on jobs -- and that will give you lots of stress relief (which I'm sure you can use now and more so in the future as caregiving does entail more stress than most folks realize).

If one of your goals is to see every public garden, then THAT could be an excellent angle for a blog that can bring in extra money. There are TONS of RV blogs that do not attract enough visitors to earn money from having paid ads on their site. But you could attract not only RVers who might be interested in your travel tips about the gardens but also people who simply love gardens and would be interested in an expert's view of how public gardens rate in comparison to each other, etc.

So you'd have two major audiences. You could put up short "review" clips on YouTube and those videos could bring more people to click to read your blog (and thus expose the ads that you'd get paid for). Bob has evolved a good system of earning such money --- and everyone here is extremely happy that he is able to do this. He funds hosting this forum which we all enjoy -- and his rules keep us on the straight and narrow so that the forum stays enjoyable.

Anyway, you might look into that when you begin your travels. Lots of experienced RVers are always looking for a new "path" to follow in their travels beyond exploring Route 66 or the Lewis & Clark Trail, etc.

WriterMs said:
If one of your goals is to see every public garden, then THAT could be an excellent angle for a blog that can bring in extra money. There are TONS of RV blogs that do not attract enough visitors to earn money from having paid ads on their site. But you could attract not only RVers who might be interested in your travel tips about the gardens but also people who simply love gardens and would be interested in an expert's view of how public gardens rate in comparison to each other, etc.

So you'd have two major audiences. You could put up short "review" clips on YouTube and those videos could bring more people to click to read your blog (and thus expose the ads that you'd get paid for).

Thank you! This notion is really growing on me. It would be fun and let me use what I know and love. Maybe throw in some foraging. No McJobs!

HI Karen! I didn't read the book, "My Side of the Mountain" but did see the movie when I was very young. My little best friend and I had big plans to hitchhike up to Canada. And live in the forest just like the kid in the movie! I think we must have been about nine or ten years old.

I lived in South America several years although not in Ecuador. I spent a few days in Ecuador for a conference but did like it. I do plan to spend some time driving around Mexico but don't have plans to drive any further south.

You sound like you have pretty much have it figured out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cammalu said:
HI Karen!   I didn't read the book, "My Side of the Mountain" but did see the movie when I was very young.  My little best friend and I had big plans to hitchhike up to Canada. And live in the forest just like the kid in the movie!  I think we must have been about nine or ten years old.  

I lived in South America several years although not in Ecuador.  I spent a few days in Ecuador for a conference but did like it.  I do plan to spend some time driving around Mexico but don't have plans to drive any further south.  

You sound like you have pretty much have it figured out.

That book is so good that I've reread it several times as an adult! It must have inspired many kids for get outside and explore their world. Nice to meet someone else that found it as as inspiring. I wonder how many people have made life choices as adults after reading it or seeing the movie. (I've never seen the movie)

As for figured out: I'm doing my best to get everything lined up, but am quite sure that I'll have many many questions as I get closer to departure date. This forum and the rest of Bob's site is a wonderful source of information and I'm mostly mining that for now. So many knowledgable people!

Latest posts