Favorite Ramen Recipes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes me want to go buy some Ramen Noodles now.

I like to experiment in the kitchen, but sometimes even the dogs won't eat it.

^^BUMP BUMP^^

Where have y'all been hiding 100% pure sesame oil?!
Behind the ~$5 price tag?!

Make noodles pretty normally. Steam dry. Add sesame oil and soy sauce (la choy, et al)

Stir.

Eat with chop sticks.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

About that sesame oil... IMO, you need one more bottle -- the toasted sesame seed oil. It's not just for ramen and saimen and such.

I pop my popcorn in it. Sometimes I also drizzle some over the top and sprinkle nutritional yeast over all. Yum.

...served with a 2 inch T-Bone steak rare, baker smothered in butter and sour cream, hot apple pie 2 scoops vanilla ice cream, cap it off with Rushs' favorite stogie...

Ditch the sodium packet
Cut open a teabag of Bigelow green tea
Cut open a teabag of Bigelow lemon ginger tea
Add both to the water prior to boiling
Empty two tumeric/curcumin capsules into the water
Add 1 raw egg (and stir it up) while there's still water in the pan
Cook the noodles as you normally would
Once the noodles are cooked, grind in some ginger root
Top with soy sauce or Bragg's Liquid Aminos
Eat and enjoy

Friend of mine taught me this and sometimes I'd do it if I'm feeling slightly fancy.

Soak noodles in water (hot water preferably but otherwise just leave it in longer) until limp.

Pour some oil in the frying pan, and stir fry noodles.

Make a well in the center, then crack an egg inside. Count to fifteen then stir everything up, adding the seasoning pack as well. I tend to overfry until the sides are slightly crisp. Yum

That sounds good. Yeah I've soaked mine before frying a lot of times too. But I mix the seasoning packet in with like 1/8th cup of water maybe less and stir it in after I've shut off the heat.

One I really dig these days is to make pork ramen just boil the noodles and in a bowl mix just enough water to dissolve the seasoning packet then add a dash or 2 of soy sauce and a few drops of pure sesame oil. Stir all that together and then drain the noodles and mix together. Yum

I love instant noodles, but the calories and the additives worry me, so to experiment I tried just nuking regular noodles (put them in a microwave-safe bowl with cold water, set the timer, walk away) ... and to me they taste fine.

? feel free to say "blecch"; I've never been mistaken for a gourmet; but honestly, they seem fine. It's my go-to way to make noodles anymore. Takes a little experimenting at the start to figure out the timing, is all.

Of course, all that unhealthy artificial seasoning is pretty delicious ;) and now you have to figure out your own spices/sauce. I usually use, er, salad dressing (usually homemade vinaigrette) (actually usually mix the salad in with the noodles too -- sort of stir fry without the frying).

If there's only access to hot water, not a microwave, then instant noodles it is (yum).

I brown some ground beef and chopped onions (one packet of ramen per 1/2 lb. of meat) in a skillet (you could add other veggies like peppers and whatnot). Then I break up the noodles and stir them for a few minutes. Then I add the seasoning packet and enough water to cover. Then I cook until the noodles are done. It takes a little practice to get the water right. I like it to be moist but not with liquid still pooling around. Very tasty. And for extra creaminess, I stir in a blob of mayo. I bet sour cream would work.

It goes without saying that I use the beef flavored ramen. Much more filling than just the ramen alone. Meat and noodles are a heavenly combination.

So I have been wanting to try these "K Army" ramen noodles from my local chain grocery store. They have a camo package and the flag of South Korea on them. I guess you're supposed to think they're military ramen. They were about $9 for a 4 pack. Not available in an individual pack.
20210823_100205.jpg

Well I noticed the other day they're gone. So I was sad to have missed trying this ramen "stew" WITH CHILI BEANS. 

So I got to thinking. I have ramen. And chili.

I made a packet of pork ramen like I usually do. Mixed up the seasoning packet in the bowl with just enough hot water to dissolve it. Didnt add any soy sauce or sesame oil this time...

Then cooked the ramen and added a touch of white wine vinegar in near the end and cooked them almost dry. Drained em a bit and stirred them into the broth. Then I opened a can of store brand hot chili with beans. Stirred that all together. 

WOW. These koreans know what's up... if in fact this was a korean flavor to begin with. It's made in the USA so I imagine this was an American made flavor as well. But bruh. Try it. It's all right.

Attachments

• 20210823_100205.jpg
    20210823_100205.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 11
Y'all are way more fancy than I am. I put a can of cheap no milk needed cream of chicken soup in a small mixing bowl. I boil the noodles from your basic cheap Ramen package and drain enough of the boiling water to fill the soup can and discard the rest. Pour boiling water into soup, stir, add noodles and a can or pouch of chunk chicken. Save seasoning packet to lightly sprinkle over baked potatoes.

There is a book with spiral ring binding titled,  "101 Things to do with Ramen Noodles". (there is a whole series of these)

If you are traveling and decide to stop in at some Libraries you may find this or some of these.

51oLnQObDZL._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Given the cleanup as well as the scarcity of butane fuel locally for me lately I have been making cup ramen instead of the cheaper packs of ramen I normally use.

I have a new favorite brand.
Screenshot_20211104-135151_Kroger.jpg

They're a buck at my local grocery store but I just found them at walmart for 74 cents I believe. I boil some water in my favorite mini skillet that has a copper diffuser ring on the bottom. (A couple mins) dump in the water, sit a folded washcloth or saucer on top of the lid to seal it up (make sure to only tear off the lid halfway), wait a couple mins and stir. THEN I add in a drizzle of pure sesame oil and a dash of soy sauce and stir again. YUM. 

My favorite I have tried is sweet chili flavor. Most cup noodles like these have some veggies in them but these are awesome. The veg depends on the flavor you buy but some of them have green beans in them and remarkably after they're reconstituted they are still crisp like a parcooked fresh green bean. And the broth is amazing even before the sesame oil.

Give it a try if you're a ramen junkie like I am.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211104-135151_Kroger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211104-135151_Kroger.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 12
I like to find an actual Asian market in whatever city I'm in. That way my choice of ramen isn't limited to the regular supermarket 3 for a dollar brands.
When I lived next to Oakland Chinatown/Koreatown I got really into 'fancy ramen'.
Thats what I call ramen that costs more than a buck and usually comes with 2 or 3 flavoring packets. Not just 1. The extra ones will oil or seaweed flakes etc
One of my favorites is Hwa Ramyun. Similar to Shin Ramyun. It's very spicy Korean ramen. Shin has bone broth and beef stock in it.
I don't eat cows so I stick to Hwa.
I like to cut up a few sprigs of broccoli, or some other green veg. Throw in some cubed tofu as well.
The tofu really works great in the spicy broth.
Another really good one that works with ramen or soba is to drain almost all the water and then add in peanut butter and soy sauce.
My old bandmate was a Puerto Rican dude, and he said it was a Puerto Rican thing.
I've dated a few Puerto Ricans and lived in NYC for a while. Now I think it was just a thing he came up with.
Tastes really good. Especially if you add some veg.
If I am really fancy, like I am getting now that I upgraded to a 2 burner stove, I'll bust out a frying pan and cook the tofu, veggies onions etc seperate.
For those that think of tofu as some clammy gelatinous ectoplasm. It's actually really good if it is fried until crispy with sesame oil and soy sauce.
Extra points for Lau Gan Ma chili crisp added at the end to give some bite and depth.

Another really good one that works with ramen or soba is to drain almost all the water and then add in peanut butter and soy sauce.
My old bandmate was a Puerto Rican dude, and he said it was a Puerto Rican thing.
I've dated a few Puerto Ricans and lived in NYC for a while. Now I think it was just a thing he came up with.
I think the peanut butter is a Thai thing, and is almost like finishing an asian dish with a lil sesame oil.

I like to find an actual Asian market in whatever city I'm in. That way my choice of ramen isn't limited to the regular supermarket 3 for a dollar brands.
When I lived next to Oakland Chinatown/Koreatown I got really into 'fancy ramen'.
Thats what I call ramen that costs more than a buck and usually comes with 2 or 3 flavoring packets. Not just 1. The extra ones will oil or seaweed flakes etc
One of my favorites is Hwa Ramyun. Similar to Shin Ramyun. It's very spicy Korean ramen. Shin has bone broth and beef stock in it.
I don't eat cows so I stick to Hwa.
I like to cut up a few sprigs of broccoli, or some other green veg. Throw in some cubed tofu as well.
The tofu really works great in the spicy broth.
If I am really fancy, like I am getting now that I upgraded to a 2 burner stove, I'll bust out a frying pan and cook the tofu, veggies onions etc seperate.
For those that think of tofu as some clammy gelatinous ectoplasm. It's actually really good if it is fried until crispy with sesame oil and soy sauce.
Extra points for Lau Gan Ma chili crisp added at the end to give some bite and depth.
Great ideas! Thanks! Is there any such thing as decent HEALTHY ramen noodles? Not soba. Gross. 😬

Great ideas! Thanks! Is there any such thing as decent HEALTHY ramen noodles? Not soba. Gross. 😬
What's wrong with buckwheat soba noodles?
They really hit the spot with some peanut sauce and baby bok choy!