Favorite Ramen Recipes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
I have a new recipe I came up with. I'm probably not the only one to make them this way. But I experiment a lot. With 1 million chimpanzees typing on 1 million typewriters over an unlimited amount of time eventually you'll get Shakespeare. The same goes with ramen recipes I'm sure.

For starters, this recipe I use a small maybe 7 inch Tfal enameled copper clad bottomed skillet with some sort of chemically nonstick coating. A butane stove with heat regulated as accurately as possible throughout. An enameled lid from a camp cook set pot I got at goodwill that fits the skillet like a glove.

Pan Fried (sorta) Sticky Noodles

Ingredients: 
1 pack maruchan ramen pork flavor (my fav) 10-25[font=Roboto, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]¢[/font]

Diced dehydrated onions ($1 for a shaker at dollar tree)

Sambal oelek chili paste (available all over but I recently found at walmart in a huge jar for less than my normal grocers small jar) $2-4 in the asian ethnic section of most grocery stores

Water

Olive oil

Place a little olive oil in the skillet with a generous sprinkle of diced onions and cover with a very low flame. Other herbs such as cracked black pepper can be added.

Check and stir frequently and when they begin to turn dark brown add in a splash of chilli paste and remove from heat swirling and heating as necessary until the onions have slightly absorbed the steam and the chili paste is browning.

Add a small amount of water but quickly (hot oil and water dont mix keep the heat low to avoid splatter) add in the seasoning packet and stir until dissolved. 

Add in the dry ramen block and add more water to nearly halfway covering the noodles (less if using a large skillet) cover and allow to cook on medium-low heat for a minute or 2. Then flip the ramen block to allow the other side to soften and re cover.

Once the noodles are loose enough to stir into the broth check frequently. Stir and re cover. Once the broth is nearly all absorbed if the noodles are nearly cooked proceed to next step. If the noodles are still under cooked add a touch more water until cooked and very little liquid remains.

The final step is to "steam dry" the noodles. Switch off the heat and leave the lid on for 5 minutes exactly. After 5 minutes remove and dry the lid. Stir the noodles. If there is still a bit of liquid incorporate it on the noodles as best as possible and re cover for another 5 minutes exactly. Remove and dry the lid (steam drying reduces the water volume quite a bit maximizing the flavor)

Enjoy.

How much do you love noodles?!

A simple ramen hack for lower sodium ramen (especially useful for "oriental flavor" or "soy sauce" flavor ramen)

From dollar tree get a 4 pack of the small glass bowls like real chefs use on tv to portion out their spices etc.

In the tiny portion bowl add the seasoning powder and a little bit of the coldest water available. (Refrigerated water is ideal) stir very gently and very slowly pour the liquid off into your recipe as youd normally make it. You will notice that left behind in the bowl is an appreciable amount of undissolved granulated salt.

Nifty trick if you're eating like a college kid while watching your blood pressure at the same time. (Your mileage may vary)

This one is a bit harder to master without getting starchy. 

Using a 1 gallon ziploc bag add a little water and the seasoning packets from 2 packs of ramen. Add both ramen blocks into the bag and make sure you have enough water to barely cover the dry noodles when you force all the air out of the bag.

Keep adjusting and flipping the bag until the noodles are totally saturated. 

In a wok heat up some olive oil or red palm fruit oil or better yet BOTH. Add in some spices like black pepper, garlic powder, or any dried spices you like and sautee together with thin sliced onions. Sambal or sriracha can be added once the onions are browned. If desired about 2/3 of the way thru the sautee add some soy sauce for color and flavor.

Dump in the rehydrated noodles and stir fry the hell out of them until done. Add in a raw egg and stir it in well if desired near the end of cooking. 

Enjoy a little crispness and savory noodle goodness.

A quick and easy Japanese style yum-yum sauce I like to add to them.

All according to taste

Your favorite mayonnaise 
Sriracha sauce
Buttermilk ranch dressing
Catalina dressing 
Ketchup (if desired to lessen the spiciness) 

I usually put about 2 parts sriracha and mayo and 1 part Catalina with half to 1 part ranch dressing. Then I taste and adjust accordingly. 

Serve on the side or stir into the finished noodles.

You can make a reasonably nutritious, one bowl meal with ramen noodles by beating up an egg or two, then stirring that into your boiling hot ramen.

The heat will quickly cook the egg, and you will have something akin to an egg drop soup with noodles.

Add some chopped broccoli or other veggie of choice, if desired.

Kids love this.

Going back to my days at university I’d do one pot meals with ramen.

Generally start with boiling water. Add handful of rice after it’s somewhat cooked add in chopped onion and carrots.

Once it’s cooked within 3 minutes of done you toss in the noodles and flavor packets. Once it’s within the last minute toss in a handful of frozen peas.

Another quick and easy for me was to throw in a can of mushroom soup after cooking the ramen.’

All easy on the one burner I had in the one pot I had.

SD

WanderingRose. said:
The heat will quickly cook the egg, and you will have something akin to an egg drop soup with noodles.
Personally my favorite ramen isnt made as a soup but as a noodle dish. I have heard of doing this and I'm sure it's great. I actually have a packet of hot and sour soup mix that I plan to use to make egg flower soup with noodles. I'll keep you posted.
SheepDog said:
Generally start with boiling water.  Add handful of rice
This reminds me of something I used to make with the ramen flavor packet without the noodles but it would have been tastier with the noodles too.

It has been quite a long time and I have advanced in my cooking style and technique since then. But I would made a broth with a few spices and seasonings and the flavor packet from the ramen and let it simmer on the other stove eye.

Then in a wok I would slowly at first then at high heat rapidly stir dry "instant rice" in some oil. Once the rice was starting to turn medium brown with the heat still on high I would dump in the broth and let the rice basically boil itself instantly from the inside out in the broth.

I was trying to recreate sizzling rice soup. It wasnt sizzling rice soup but it was pretty good. A nice nutty toasted rice broth soup. Not bad at all with leftover crispy fried noodles that come with soup from a chinese restaurant.

At a time when the public is becoming increasingly aware of the dangers of a high-sodium diet, caution is advised when adding the whole flavor packet to a serving of ramen. 

Adding the entire flavor packet turns this tasty meal into a kidney-stone-in-a-bowl. Not to mention heightening the risk of high blood pressure, among other serious ailments.

Please consider putting just a pinch of the flavoring packet in the ramen. If you have to have that high-sodium flavor, try adding artificial salt or even powdered garlic, which for many folks adds a tasty sodium-type flavor to food.

Believe me, as a kidney stone veteran, you will want nothing to do with high-sodium foods once you have experienced the severe and often repetitve pain of kidney stones.

I have served this soooo many times to the kidos.
This is a per packet recipe
Finley chop 1 carrot
1/2 med sized onion, more or less to taste.
1 celery stalk
1/2 cup broccoli (hubby hates broccoli so his bowl doesn't get this.)
1/2 cup sweet peas. (I hate cooked peas so don't tell the kidos I always scooped around those for myself)
any other left over veggies in the fridge works too
1/2 cup or so ham
or chicken
or chopped hot dog (not my favorite but...)
or shrimp
or turkey
or what ever type of meats you have left over. This can be real interesting after a BBQ.
1 egg
1 tblspn Whicester sauce, more or less to taste, optional depending on the type of meats you use.

Mix raw egg with whichester sauce before stirring into soup
I like chopped garlic mixed here to, but that's always up to you how much etc.

Boil water with tiny bit of olive oil and garlic salt, my standard for any pasta or noodles. add veggies and cook until your desired softness,
kidos liked theirs usually pretty soft I prefer a bit firmer. Depending on if your meat is precooked or still raw. I have never really added raw other then shrimp and they cook fast. Add before noodles. Add noodles and flavor packet, when noodles are about done, slowly stir in raw
egg mix. I like my noodles with a bit less water or broth, hubby likes more broth.

I had to show food program lady that I added enough veggies for it to 'count' as a veggie portion and enough meat to 'count' as a proteins portion. She was surprised at how fast kidos slurpped it down. For kids it is all about chopping things very small, almost hiding veggies, for me I like things a bit bigger.

The fried instant rice sounds like a good addition.
I am going to have to try the fried noodle stuff, sounds really yummy.

WanderingRose said:
You can make a reasonably nutritious, one bowl meal with ramen noodles by beating up an egg or two, then stirring that into your boiling hot ramen.
That sounds good! I have egg powder, which doesn’t really taste good straight up as eggs unless you add a lot of stuff to mask the rubbery texture. I’ve thought about adding the powder to ramen, but now I’ll give it a go.

SheepDog said:
Add handful of rice after it’s somewhat cooked add in chopped onion and carrots.

Once it’s cooked within 3 minutes of done you toss in the noodles and flavor packets.  
“Rice-a-Roni, the San Francisco treat...” :)

XERTYX said:
This one is a bit harder to master without getting starchy. 

Using a 1 gallon ziploc bag add a little water and the seasoning packets from 2 packs of ramen. Add both ramen blocks into the bag and make sure you have enough water to barely cover the dry noodles when you force all the air out of the bag.

Keep adjusting and flipping the bag until the noodles are totally saturated. 

In a wok heat up some olive oil or red palm fruit oil or better yet BOTH. Add in some spices like black pepper, garlic powder, or any dried spices you like and sautee together with thin sliced onions. Sambal or sriracha can be added once the onions are browned. If desired about 2/3 of the way thru the sautee add some soy sauce for color and flavor.

Dump in the rehydrated noodles and stir fry the hell out of them until done. Add in a raw egg and stir it in well if desired near the end of cooking. 

Enjoy a little crispness and savory noodle goodness.

A quick and easy Japanese style yum-yum sauce I like to add to them.

All according to taste

Your favorite mayonnaise 
Sriracha sauce
Buttermilk ranch dressing
Catalina dressing 
Ketchup (if desired to lessen the spiciness) 

I usually put about 2 parts sriracha and mayo and 1 part Catalina with half to 1 part ranch dressing. Then I taste and adjust accordingly. 

Serve on the side or stir into the finished noodles.
Ohhh, you eat too much like I do, hahahaha. I ate ramen cooked with dried apricots, canned chicken, and flavored with a roast chicken packet, various spices, and a little sriracha this morning. I tell myself that I need to eat better, but ramen is so quick and easy I eat it more often than I should.

Dump the 'seasoning' packet into the trash and replace with 2 teaspoons of low-sodium  Better Than Bouillon soup paste.  Go from there.

Just a bump.

I found a new ramen brand that I like. I have bought but not yet tweaked any of the packets the way I often do yet, HOWEVER I have tried the microwavable version a few times.

I'm not normally a fan of microwavable ramen, especially the ones in a cup. These cups aren't styrofoam like most are. Most of the styrofoam ones aren't meant to be microwaved anyway.

These come in a cardboard cup. Usually I only eat ramen as noodles and not as a soup but this brand is pretty damn good. I have tried the beef flavor and the "spicy" flavor. Do yourself a favor and don't try the spicy version. 

Unless the spicy one I tried was a mistake and that lot was bad it tastes like they forgot to put in any flavoring and only remembered to put in some chemically tasting chili oil.

I'll try and make the packets and review them soon but the microwavable version beef flavor is legit. Probably the best one I have ever tried. So far I have only found them at Walmart. 

Ramen Express by chef woo is the name. 33 cents per cup I think and 25 cents per packet. Pretty standard pricing for mainstream ramen.

My fav Ramen was taking an Oriental flavor, which I haven't seen in stores in quite some time now, seems soy flavor has replaced it.
Simple recipe, 1 Oriental Ramen,
Cook in pot per directions, add 1 tablespoon hot sesame oil, whisk 2 eggs, pour into soup while stirring.
Yummy cheap egg drop soup!
This is good with any flavor though really, and a quick easy way to add a little extra to plain Ramen.

These all sound delicious! Brings me back to college days, trying to make gourmet out of garbage...

I like the oriental flavor too and noticed it was gone. Haven’t tried the soy yet.

I sometimes use ramen noodles for spaghetti.

The oriental flavor was the bees knees for sure. It has been replaced by soy sauce flavor. I think they even have the same UPC code. Just a political correctness adjustment I believe. However it is NOT the same flavor. I have found that if you add the flavor packet of the soy sauce flavor while cooking it loses something. If you add it after cooking its 99% of the same flavor as the oriental one.

Personally I prefer the pork flavor now. I wish the kimchi flavor was available in packets and not just the bowls. It's worth the $1 but I would eat it more often if it were a quarter per packet.

Take a package of ramen and about half the normal water you'd use and put in a pan. Use half or a little less of the seasoning packet or season to taste. Cook until the water is almost gone then add a little oil to the pan and stir fry the noodles moving them around a bit.

They end up tasting great with a different texture that regular ramen. I stumbled on this when I was making teriyaki chicken for the kids that I was going to make rice with, and realized I didn't have any halfway through cooking everything lol. Turned into a highly requested item.

Noodles will be a bit sticky so expect it. Don't be afraid to get a slight burn on the noodles to add to the flavor. Slight, not scorched lol

PlethoraOfGuns said:
These all sound delicious! Brings me back to college days, trying to make gourmet out of garbage...

Not bad, but it's no oriental imo