Why is there so much confusing info regarding covid19?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Qxxx said:
....exponential growth. What wrecked the U.S. is that the number of cases doubled every 2.7 days..
I read an article stating that a more virulent strain infected the US and parts of Europe.  It was identified as a genetically mutated strain.   -crofter

"I read an article stating that a more virulent strain infected the US and parts of Europe. It was identified as a genetically mutated strain. -crofter"

Maybe that why Hubby's and my cases were so easy since he probably picked the virus in Japan. Whoda thought there would be an advantage?

Just read that a hospital in Italy tested old swabs dating back to august and found the corona virus had been there since at least then. Judging by the number of cases both in Europe and the US, and so few in Asia along with the big push back the administration is doing on China my guess we wîll find out that early rumour that it came from a North Carolina lab will prove to be true.

This is a unique thread as reading the posts on it answer the question which is the title. I think...I heard...maybe...he said... she said...can't believe him/her because he's a R...Can't believe he/she because he is a D...My second cousins boyfriend's aunt's pool boy said.... No offence intended to anyone here but it is the curse of our modern information age that there is just too much info. If all the reporters wrote the same thing nothing will sell. Our personal bias based on the reporters personal bias based upon the sources employers bias. It doesn't end. Did you ever play whisper down the valley? God help us all.

Reportedly black balled Scientist with tell all book. YMMV

Her reputation has been slammed, as reported by her. Cross across, to me, as very credible.

Would explain confusion, it's by design.
Plandemicmovie.com

It's bigger than who the POTUS currently is.

And nothing I offer is affected by political association. I am apolitical till we get a different, non-corporate political system.
I don't vote

bullfrog said:
....latest antibody testing....
How do you get antibody testing in AZ? State of AZ is currently offering testing for active cases, but not for antibody. Is antibody testing for any strain of the virus?
-crofter

Google search David Dexter he is the CEO of the major lab that is doing the testing blitz in Arizona. I would contact one of his labs nearby and ask where they are doing testing. It is one of the 12 companies the CDC has certified and according to them better than 96% accurate I believe. Be careful as there almost 200 companies out there that the CDC has let do their own validations but many of those are wrong 85% of the time!

Sorry for not answering you question completely, I believe they were going to do some random testing to get a handle on the infection rate of the general population in the near future.

If anyone is still following covid stats, versus being out having reopening fun, I found a site with massive amounts of data, guaranteed to crunch yer brain. There is so much difference between countries, it will take people a while to sort it all out. There are about 75 graphs, and I've included one of them below. It is totally interactive on my laptop (but not on my tablet).
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/doubling-time-of-covid-cases?country=ITA+NOR+ESP+SWE+GBR+USA

It has both good news and bad news. The good is that the rate of new infections has dropped "radically" in the hardest-hit European countries. Doubling times are now up in the 140-160 day range. The bad news is that it's still much lower in the U.S., more like 20 days. Even so, I cursored the curves at Mar 15, when cases were exploding exponentially, and you can see that back then it was taking just 2.57 days for cases to double in the U.S. So, we've come a long long way since then. The extreme lockdowns in Europe were much more effective than the half-baked lockdowns in the U.S.

All in all, this is a good sign in general, if you look back at other references, as per what epidemiologist Kucharski said. He said if you can simply 1/2 the infection rate, then after a month the new cases go down by about 64:1.

And now, for the I-told-you-so people, I also added Sweden and Norway to the graph, Sweden having done no official lockdown and Norway did. So today, the infection time for doubling in Norway is 8:1 times longer than in Sweden. Since Sweden's curve exactly matches the U.S. curve, it may be that it didn't even matter that the U.S. did do somewhat of a lockdown. We may have destroyed our economy for no good reason. Just a thought. Duh.

@Qxxx,
There are some articles stating that there is a more infectious and deadly strain of the virus operating in the US and some European countries. Some countries are slaying a smaller dragon than others.
-crofter

What is not confusing is how to deal with the virus while we wait for a vaccine. Compare the huge spike in infections local to where the "Liberate" protests happened two weeks ago to the basis for reopening where new deaths are zero, new infections are often zero, and the number of active cases are under 20. Social distancing (without masks) is the standout way to deal with slowing or stopping the spread. Add meticulous hand hygiene and community commitment to staying home unless necessary and staged reopening has already seen improvements in the economy.

crofter said:
How do you get antibody testing in AZ?....
-crofter
I was in Labcorp today, and with a doctor lab order you can get antibody testing.
-crofter

Ticklebellly said:
....Compare the huge spike in infections local to where the "Liberate" protests happened....
Saw that one coming. I know I take some risks to shop and exercise, but those activities are keeping me fed and sane. I wear a mask, but not a really good one.
-crofter

Qxxx said:
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/doubling-time-of-covid-cases?country=ITA+NOR+ESP+SWE+GBR+USA

....The extreme lockdowns in Europe were much more effective than the half-baked lockdowns in the U.S.....

BUT, the per capita death rate is higher in Europe than in China where they welded shut the apartment doors. Do you think we should start welding shut the doors in the US? I hope not. Also the per capita death rate in US is a little lower than Europe. Below is a link to the per capita death rate.

Description: graph tool depicting per capita death rate.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/total-covid-deaths-per-million

I don't think we know enough yet to draw a conclusion. It is a very deadly disease. Many people want to take any precaution necessary to keep from getting it. Others don't seem to care. And some continue to value money above all else. Then there's those locusts... Consider stocking up again for the next go round, and throw in some freeze dried stuff and survival food for the long haul.
-crofter

crofter said:
I don't think we know enough yet to draw a conclusion. 
In partial answer to OP's original question, there is so much confusion because people conflate disease matters with epidemiological issues. 

First off, doctor after doctor has been talking about how this disease is new and different from past coronavirus infections, and that existing therapies are just not effective. So understanding the disease itself, and how to handle it, are still an open question.

OTOH, as indicated last time, that site referenced has 75 pages of epidemiological data, and which is overwhelming. Every statistic is being tracked. You don't have to know everything about the disease per se to be able to know how to limit its spread, and who is doing the better and worser jobs.

In regards: "... Also the per capita death rate in US is a little lower than Europe ...". 

This is only in the US as a whole, but in NY state, the death rate is 2-3 times higher than in the hardest hit countries in Europe. Bottom line is, those doubling times as indicated last time are still the best comparison in overall effectiveness at containing the disease. The US is much better off than it was 2 months ago, but we still haven't "turned the corner".

OTOH, the following echos exactly what Kucharski said 2 months ago about containment.
https://thehill.com/changing-americ...0-percent-of-coronavirus-deaths-may-have-been

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/opinion/covid-social-distancing.html

Qxxx said:
....and that existing therapies are just not effective. So understanding the disease itself, and how to handle it, are still an open question.....

This study from Ireland suggests that 400 IU of vitamin  D supplementation daily results in a less severe infection, so the death rate among those patients is lower. Study shows effectiveness of food sources, and ineffectiveness of sunshine as a source. 
-crofter

Description: link to article about Trinity College study.
https://scitechdaily.com/vitamin-d-...researchers-urge-government-to-change-advice/

crofter said:
............ vitamin  D supplementation daily results in a less severe infection, so the death rate among those patients is lower. 
I don't want to get it at all.    Perhaps those ignoring the need to slow or stop the spread should think about the rights of fellow citizens to avoid infection.    If you do not catch it, then taking supplements to maybe get minimum symptoms is a moot point.

Ticklebellly said:
I don't want to get it at all.....
I agree. But I think at some point despite best efforts, I will get exposed. I already take the supplement for other stuff, so I'm glad it's on board. The researchers found low levels of vitamin D in patients in China, Italy, and Spain.
-crofter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts