Engines to Stay Away From?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MG1912 said:
Regarding the Ford PowerStroke 6.0 being a bad engine, this is only true under one set of circumstance, and it is not at all true under another set of circumstances.  Frankly, the 6.0 Ford diesel is the single best engine Ford ever made (technically, International made it).  It had a reputation for blown head gaskets due to bad cooling.  Eventually, coolant and oil would mix and create a sludge, and the coolant would get into the EGR.  Coolant would be introduced into the cylinders, and the steam and pressure would make the engine go “boom.”  People would get to about 110k miles with their 6.0’s and… “boom.”  There were also issues with engines not starting (bad FICM, etc.).  Customers flipped out, and thus the 6.0’s reputation was born.  All these issues, however, are easily fixable now (though it will cost you), 13 years after the engine stopped being produced.  So if you are looking at a 6.0 diesel and plan to do nothing to address the problems, then yes, you are just waiting for an eventual problem.

However, now that the issues with the 6.0 have been resolved, mechanics have found that the 6.0 is an incredible engine after the right work is done.  Properly fixed or addressed preventatively, the 6.0 is probably a 500k or 1 million mile truck, as is the 7.3.  Doing what it takes to get there, however, takes money or serious skills........

The 7.3 is a great engine, but the 7.3 came equipped with one of the worst transmissions Ford ever made.  Most 7.3 trucks still on the road have had transmission work done, and some have had multiple transmission replacements.  You can get a rebuilt 7.3 transmission that is bulletproof (there are transmission shops that specialize in this, and they can even ship you a transmission or rebuild yours), but it will cost you a pretty penny.  So if you find a 7.3 in good condition, great… but be aware of the transmission issue.  Also, the 7.3 had the old-style springs up front.  It does not ride like a modern truck, and you may find you have to really help the truck pick its way down the road.  And needless to say, the 7.3 is rapidly becoming a dinosaur.  Even if you get a 7.3 in great shape, the rest of the truck is very old at this point.  Plastic fades and cracks, electronics start to go, etc.  Also, you might be shocked at how low payload figures are for this generation.  As I mentioned in another thread, payload capacities have been climbing for years......
While I agree with your take on the 6.0... it still is a tad more expensive then the 7.3 in our experience to maintain. I keep plugging away with my 7.3 with 6 speed standard tranny. My only issue is clutch! I’ve put in three. I haul a 20 place canoe trailer coast to coast. If I could go without it I’d never have a problem with the clutch. I’m rebuilding a camper and I may haul a bit, I plan to come hang this coming winter with the best of ya in Arizona... All said about the fords, my old 96 dodge dually with mr Cummings was the sweetest motor I ever had! I’d definitely look at a Cummings, but go to a specific forum for them to seek guidance. Gas is a good option if your not tearing up the countryside. I would keep some seafoam on hand if you plan to sit a lot. Gas nowadays isn’t the best. And diesel... the stuff they burn in the big trucks isn’t always the best. I find it better to fuel where it’s camper islands or passenger pumps. As far as a 6.0... I always say when I need something done it’s about a thousand bucks average. My son’s average is double that. Many newer trucks they pull the cab right off to do work of any size.

NctryBen said:
My only issue is clutch! I’ve put in three.
In at least a few years Ford used what they called a dual mass flywheel. The engine would produce more torque than the tranny could handle, so they put clutch plates inside of the flywheel. Yep. you couldn't see them. If the flywheel got hot it would self destruct. I helped a buddy with a clutch job and we didn't know about Ford's "better idea". We pulled the tranny 3 times trying to find out why the clutch kept slipping. It was the flywheel. Ford sold them for $1,800 if I remember right.
The next clutch job he needed we found an after market supplier. It was about half price for the flywheel. I think he also put in 3 clutches. His was a 5 speed.