Why is there so much confusing info regarding covid19?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ticklebellly said:
I don't want to get it at all.    Perhaps those ignoring the need to slow or stop the spread should think about the rights of fellow citizens to avoid infection.    If you do not catch it, then taking supplements to maybe get minimum symptoms is a moot point.

I don't want to get it either, and I am doing all the things.

But I am convinced this thing will not go away, it has now joined the pool of viruses that go around. We will get a vaccine, but there is no guarantee that it will confer lifelong immunity. If I'm correct, that means just about all of us will get it eventually.

So besides doing all the things, then taking vitamin D is a good idea. I've been taking a modest amount for several years, just upped my dosage.

Qxxx said:
1/3 say "always", and another 1/3 say " sometimes". Knowing people's propensity to lie, it means maybe 1 in 5 are really doing it regularly. Around here, outside, I've only seen a face mask on maybe 1 in 100, although they say maybe 1/3 are wearing them in grocery stores.

My observation is that of the 1/3 that are wearing masks approximately 2/3 are wearing them incorrectly; actually making the exposure (for them) worse.

I worked in an infectious disease wing of a hospital while in college.  We were constantly tutored and monitored on correct protection.  If you do not have a good seal around around the sides of the nose, all you are doing is directing air flow around your eyes - one of the vulnerable entry points for the virus.

To answer the OP question:  "Why is there so much confusing information regarding COViD-19?"

Because those who study this stuff are not in agreement on what works.
Two points of agreement that all of them have is:
 -1- eventually over 80% of the population will be exposed;
 -2 - a vaccine is not a magic bullet, it may not be effective or cause more health problems than it solves.

Though I don't know much about the virus, I know that staying home can save lives. So stay home guys.

Spaceman Spiff said:
"all of them". Woof, that's a new one.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Because those who study this stuff are not in agreement on what works.
Places like New Zealand and Australia have effectively stopped the spread.    Opening up is happening in stages and resources ready for any kind of second wave are in place.   Agreement on what works at Administration level never conceded that any percentage of the population would be exposed.    The economies in those countries have started to recover.   Defeatist attitudes like “eventually 80% will be exposed” were never expressed in those countries.

Confusion (???) versus 100,000 deaths.

As a retired scientist (who also loves traveling in a minimalist way), I am not at all surprised that it's taken a long while to even begin to understand the issues involved with such a new and unknown virus like this one. That's a matter of science. It takes a while with something so complicated.

OTOH, I am totally horrified (and mystified) by the huge death count in the "greatest country on earth". How to contain epidemics has been known for 500 years and more, since long before there were vaccines. It's not even science, it's a simple algorithm. So why it went so totally wrong in the USA, and is so much worse than anywhere else, is mind boggling.

4% of the world's population and (last time I looked) about 25% of the world's deaths.

That's not happenstance.

Keep your distance, avoid enclosed spaces that are not your home,  and wear a mask. That there are so many people unwilling to do these three things is bizarre.

Because the epidemiologists could not get our leader to pay attention and take the necessary actions in a timely manner.

By the time he did, containment was no longer an option.

Mitigation can only do so much, and our death toll is the consequence of delayed decisions.

Qxxx said:

As a retired scientist (who also loves traveling in a minimalist way), I am not at all surprised that it's taken a long while to even begin to understand the issues involved with such a new and unknown virus like this one. That's a matter of science. It takes a while with something so complicated.

OTOH, I am totally horrified (and mystified) by the huge death count in the "greatest country on earth". How to contain epidemics has been known for 500 years and more, since long before there were vaccines. It's not even science, it's a simple algorithm. So why it went so totally wrong in the USA, and is so much worse than anywhere else, is mind boggling.
SERIOUSLY!!

Your a retired scientist yet fail to take note of actual percents???!!

Here is a little diddy from some current scientists from John Hopkins

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

According to these active scientists there are...

per 100k population:
29.87 deaths in the USA,
55.46 deaths in the UK,
54.25 deaths in Italy,
61.54 deaths in Spain,
42.35 deaths in France,
81.25 deaths in Belgium!!!
124.32 deaths in San Marino!!!!!!

Compare the percents of infection and you will see even more surprises.

But the response of the bad orange man has been atrocious.... seriously.. what kind of primitive, ill equipped country do we live in!!??   /s :dodgy:

The human centipede gets larger and larger and larger and larger .........

I edited my post because someone else made the point and I could not see how to delete it. :) By the way the definition of algorithm. Is Bill Clinton's VP in the percussion section. :)

Qxxx said:

As a retired scientist . . . I am totally horrified (and mystified) by the huge death count in the "greatest country on earth". How to contain epidemics has been known for 500 years and more, since long before there were vaccines. It's not even science, it's a simple algorithm. So why it went so totally wrong in the USA, and is so much worse than anywhere else, is mind boggling.

As a scientist you should know that the raw numbers are very misleading.  If you want to go that way the US is doing much better than Europe.  

As of May 24:
Reported deaths in EU member states = 346,434
Reported deaths in the US states = 96,046

Statistics like this are always presented in relation to differences in population.
Deaths per 1 million population:

1. Belgium (791.76)
  2. Spain (573.38)
  3. UK (558.95)
  4. Italy (524.58)
  5. France (415.90)
  6. Sweden (391.87)
  7. Netherlands (338.01)
  8. Ireland (309.86)
  9. USA (288.74)
  10. Switzerland (226.80)
We are doing better than most of the first world.
If we take out the greater New York area (where about a third of US deaths are): USA (233.44) 

Data comes from the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University as of 9:30 am ET May 24.

Spaceman Spiff said:
As a scientist you should know that the raw numbers are very misleading.  If you want to go that way the US is doing much better than Europe.  

As of May 24:
Reported deaths in EU member states = 346,434
Reported deaths in the US states = 96,046

Statistics like this are always presented in relation to differences in population.
Deaths per 1 million population:

1. Belgium (791.76)
  2. Spain (573.38)
  3. UK (558.95)
  4. Italy (524.58)
  5. France (415.90)
  6. Sweden (391.87)
  7. Netherlands (338.01)
  8. Ireland (309.86)
  9. USA (288.74)
  10. Switzerland (226.80)
We are doing better than most of the first world.
If we take out the greater New York area (where about a third of US deaths are): USA (233.44) 

Data comes from the Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins University as of 9:30 am ET May 24.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

I am eagerly awaiting to hear the analysis from the "informed" of the various Euro leaders  handling of the "crisis".

crickets??...

Qxxx said:
.... in summary, it all went wrong, didn't it.
Especially in many European countries.

100,000 deaths sounds much scarier than .0004%

Without fear there is no control.

people, no politics and no bickering. I deleted a couple of posts. highdesertranger

It is not over yet.... we are just starting, there is no point making prediction a few minutes after the coin toss,

Status
Not open for further replies.