Why is there so much confusing info regarding covid19?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spaceman Spiff said:
USA (288.74)
We are doing better than most of the first world.
Averages are very misleading. In the top-8 states in the USA, the rate is 880/1M, or more than 2:1 that of all 8 countries listed. The US average is watered down by the other states. And in many of the worst hit countries, the rates of new infections are currently way down.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france

It ain't over yet.

flying kurbmaster said:
It is not over yet.... we are just starting

And the behavior of our population will have a huge effect on the final outcome.

Qxxx said:
Averages are very misleading. In the top-8 states in the USA, the rate is 880/1M, or more than 2:1 that of all 8 countries listed. The US average is watered down by the other states. And in many of the worst hit countries, the rates of new infections are currently way down.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/spain/
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/france

It ain't over yet.
Comparing apples to oranges is when we start off comparing country totals then mid stride change it to individual states compared to entire nations.

How can you take the worst hit US States as representative of the whole and then make a comparative. You do realize that even the individual European nations have States within themselves.

Either compare States to States or Nations to Nations.. anything other is apples to oranges.

Do those "healthy" States within Italy, Spain, or the UK not water down their totals as well????

Go ahead, take the worst hit "states" in the worst hit countries (IT,SP,FR,UK,SW) and compare to similar in the US. Do the math.

But all this is just deflection away from the fact that the "greatest country in the world", and so-called "best prepared", blew it. Not to mention an economy in shambles.

Qxxx said:
Go ahead, take the worst hit "states" in the worst hit countries (IT,SP,FR,UK,SW) and compare to similar in the US. Do the math.

But all this is just deflection away from the fact that the "greatest country in the world", and so-called "best prepared", blew it. Not to mention an economy in shambles.
 The economy has been in shambles for millions of INDIVIDUALS for decades unless you want to water that data down with millionaires.

I have never heard ANYONE ever refer to the USA as the greatest country in the World best prepared to handle a "pandemic".

Outside of a few poorly managed States we have done pretty well as a WHOLE...fortunately for those places they have the resources of properly managed States to draw resources from. What do you think would happen to NY without the other 49 having its back??

Winners and losers all across the board.. just like any other day. 
Fragile bubbles popping everywhere. They don't call it a "cycle" because it is static.

Qxxx said:

Our worst hit 'states' and cities are run by incompetent idiots (New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, NYC, Chicago, Detroit), I don't parse the data from Europe to know what it looks like.  If you have it, please share.

This is what the US data looks like by county (May 24th):

thirds.jpg

1/3 of the deaths in 4% of the US population (Red)
1/3 of the deaths in 11% of the US population (Yellow)
1/3 of the deaths in 85% of the US population (Green)

You are going to have to define what you mean by "best prepared" and "blew it".

I will concede that we did not replenish our emergency supplies after the 2009 H1N1 pandemic and epidemiologists have warned us for years that we (the world) are not prepared for one.  But that is true of all first and second world countries (third world countries don't have the resources to prepare).

The world economy is in shambles, not just the US.  The national lockdown was a HUGE mistake and we will be paying for it for a long time.

Attachments

• thirds.jpg
    thirds.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5
The states hits hardest aren't necessarily the worst managed states. The hard hit areas have much higher population densities than other cities/states in the US.

Most of them also have far more tourists visiting from the rest of the country and the world.

They face far more complex problems than what other states/cities face.

It isn't over yet and some of the supposedly well run states may well see much more damage than what they are experiencing now and won't be viewed as 'well managed" because they opened too soon or didn't enforce distancing guidelines.

BTW: In your opinion these states are run by idiots but please bear in mind that many,many people feel the whole country is being run by idiots.

Sofisintown said:
It is also the thousands of unsuspecting airport workers that spread the virus in town.

Yes and those workers in large cities are more likely to use public transportation to and from their jobs as opposed to workers in small town America.

desert_sailing said:
I have never heard ANYONE ever refer to the USA as the greatest country in the World best prepared to handle a "pandemic".
It was in the link I sent you that you didn't read, and in the same link that I posted and which HDR deleted.

New York is one of the few places case numbers are going down which is amazing considering the density of population. One of the most fact filled, least political briefings in my opinion has been the daily New York governor's press briefing. The virus seems to be much worse in dense populations so I will be curious to see if tracking will work out here in the southwest as people travel long distances to recreate now the southwest states have opened earlier than they should have according to the CDC. Arizona has along with several other states added antibody testing results to diagnostic test results to make their infection rates look like they are declining when in reality they are not. It will be interesting to see how dense Memorial Day gatherings will affect the spread of the virus. When antibody testing becomes wide spread and in numbers enough to get a true picture of the virus and how it spreads we can better judge what needs to be done in the future and who guessed right what to do in the past few months. If you don't think this virus is deadly come volunteer to help on the reservation for a while.

From the little I know is that everyone will eventually get it, it is just a matter of how fast it spreads.

There are just not enough facts to predict what will or has happened. Science can overcome some virus but it has in the past taken time to do so. With all the advances in tech maybe we can find a cure or treatment to prevent the majority of deaths and most if any conditions caused by contracting the virus. We do know by simply social distancing and wearing a mask or face shield we can slow it's spread. We are not even sure at this point you can't contract it over and over, we do know it mutates into different strains and appears some are more deadly and have more side affects than others. The more time we have to learn and experiment the more lives can be saved and side affects prevented. My point is if you look at what is happening on the Navajo Nation it is seeing what this pandemic would have been like 100 years ago and comparing it to someplace like South Korea that was prepared with the testing and modern tech. Hopefully our country can catch up and use our resources to at least avoid some of the consequences by slowing the virus using primitive methods like social distancing until testing and tracking can isolate and control the spread of the virus. The simple answer to why we are confused is we don't know enough and the world is very different in many different places.

bullfrog said:
New York is one of the few places case numbers are going down which is amazing considering the density of population. 
NY went from normal everyday life to the SHTF in about 2 weeks. I watched Cuomo coming on the news day after day pleading for outside help and telling the people what shit they were in. Their death rate is 5:1 above the national average. They got the message of what to do, and it isn't a very complicated or confusing one.

I am trying to be patient here but y'all are ignoring my previous request. do I need to be more specific or what?

NO POLITICS AND NO BICKERING. PERIOD

highdesertranger

And we are without a nationwide cohesive plan and strategy.

We don’t need to try to understand it all ourselves, but to follow our respective Governors as they rely on the scientists and do the very best they can to lead us out of this mess.

I watch Governor Cuomo every day, as he is calm, steady, rational and methodical.

We will get beyond this, I feel certain, but first must get through.

In my opinion.

highdesertranger said:
I am trying to be patient here but y'all are ignoring my previous request.  do I need to be more specific or what?

NO POLITICS AND NO BICKERING.  PERIOD

highdesertranger
The very title of the question suggest ONLY a political slant to this topic. It is looking to lay blame and that is how people are posting to it.

If posts are to not be political then this thread should have been closed immediately.

The whole corona schmorona situation is one of the most politically divisive topics in the USA.

Maybe only  allowing factual corona threads that address areas that are open and closed?  I am sure there are many other opinions people have about the schmorona but as far as this lifestyle goes aren't we mainly interested in getting from point a to b and provisioning?

I would hate to babysit a thread. This one here is an obvious... anytime a thread is looking to lay blame there is going to be "mean" remarks and politics.

Just close the thread... it  offers nothing to the needs of the users and nothing to resolving the corona.

[quote="Tony']
Some countries don't know how to deal with it or treat it. Just like UFOs, the government doesn't want to share information it does not know how to deal with. It makes them afraid. So it will produce the information it wants to share. Just like in the US, they refuses to test everyone because they are afraid of the results. If you only test some of the people and it looks like fewer people are testing positive, it looks like they are succeeding in controlling the spread. If you control the information, you can control everything. Why will they not release more statistical information about what groups of people are testing positive? All we are hearing is the age break out, not the race or ethnic profiles. They want you to focus on the virus not who is getting sick. A clear pattern of information control.
[/quote]

Haha, true

desert_sailing said:
The very title of the question suggest ONLY a political slant to this topic. It is looking to lay blame and that is how people are posting to it.

If posts are to not be political then this thread should have been closed immediately.

The whole corona schmorona situation is one of the most politically divisive topics in the USA.

Maybe only  allowing factual corona threads that address areas that are open and closed?  I am sure there are many other opinions people have about the schmorona but as far as this lifestyle goes aren't we mainly interested in getting from point a to b and provisioning?

I would hate to babysit a thread. This one here is an obvious... anytime a thread is looking to lay blame there is going to be "mean" remarks and politics.

Just close the thread... it  offers nothing to the needs of the users and nothing to resolving the corona.

As the person who started the thread, I can tell you categorically that I was trying to get at the reasons why there is so much conflicting info bout the virus. Which is, simply, because it is so new, and because it does not follow a "typical" pattern for the respiratory infections which are most familiar to us. 

Why that seems political to you - or anyone else - is beyond me.

".... All we are hearing is the age break out, not the race or ethnic profiles. They want you to focus on the virus not who is getting sick. A clear pattern of information control".

A 2 second google search will provide more such information than any single mortal can process. Just enter in "covid positive demographics". The AZ page for instance breaks it down by age, gender, race, ethnicity, medical conditions and risk, all indexed by individual counties. YMMV. (hint: click on the 'Demographics' button here).

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.azdhs.gov/preparedness/...y/covid-19/dashboards/index.php[/font][/SIZE]

jacqueg said:
As the person who started the thread, I can tell you categorically that I was trying to get at the reasons why there is so much conflicting info bout the virus. Which is, simply, because it is so new, and because it does not follow a "typical" pattern for the respiratory infections which are most familiar to us. 

Why that seems political to you - or anyone else - is beyond me.
Basically every other post has a political slant in this thread. Those are not ALL my posts. You do see that a mod has had to delete posts and give warnings. Did you not notice his frustration with the political nature of  those posts?

It may not have been your intent to be political about it.. that is being naive with such a topic that seeks to lay blame to anything or anyone.
There is absolutely NO answer that anyone can provide. Certainly you weren't expecting that we could combine our super powers and solve the mystery???  I know many of us live in vans...but we aren't going to be like Thelma and Scooby taking off the mask of the culprits... You meddling kids!

There is no doubt that the mods will have to continue to babysit this thread til it is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.