What did you, yourself, Repair recently?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mconlonx said:
Shoveled snow. This, to merely park at Safe Spot.

Joined a local Makerspace and am currently making machinist buttons on a '42 South Bend lathe, for use regarding future projects involving a Bridgeport milling machine.

Gathered up the trash in a weekly fit of cleansing. Replaced wipers and lubricated wiper hinges, which was the difference between seeing and not, recently. Continuing adjustment of hammock underinsulation based on spring clip attachement...

Building sugar shack/tiny home on hold on account of nearly 4' standing snow, and below zero temps.

Weak sauce. More chore than repair, but necessary.
Makerspaces are a great idea; I have belonged to one for a few years.  Wood shop, metal shop, fabric shop, pottery shop with kiln, 3D printers, two large laser cutters, silk screen printing, electronics, CNC Plasma Cutting Table, etc.

I just rebuilt a k case 700r4 transmission, installed a transgo shift kit, and a upgraded pump. Also complete replacement of drums, shoes, spring kit, wheel cylinders, calipers, pads, and rotors. 

Previous blazer I pulled, and rebuilt a 95 chevy 4.3 cpi vortec v6, and did everything from oil pump, to valve guide seals, including rear main, front, and timing chain. 

Currently I'm waiting on the upper and lower control arms, upper and lower ball joint, inner and outer tie rod assembly, Pittman arm, c.f. axles, hubs and bearings, and idler arm to arrive so I can completely overhaul the front suspension in my truck. 

I recently rebuilt my friends edelbrock 1406 carburetor, rebuilt and regeared his 14 bolt rear diff and Dana 44. The Dana was a pain, but doable.

Installed multiple clutches in almost every vehicle I've owned, timing belts on toyotas (don't like the fwd because of the little clearance) and shocks and struts. 

I've pretty much tinkered quite a bit on everything that doesn't have an insane computer brain.

We had to flush out the brake fluid in my friends RV. The fluid was boiling out of the master cylinder when he drove it home. We pumped two quarts thru it just to be safe. The old fluid had adsorbed water over the years!

does sewing on a run-away button count? lol
kudos to those who can fix!

1994 ford e350 replaced throttle position sensor, replaced small coolant line from pump to housing, replaced thermostat with low temp t-stat. (which i have discovered is a bad idea unless you replace the engine temp sensor as well) cap, rotor, plugs, oil change with motor flush, and coolant flush with backwash on heater core. oh, and since some jerk decided to relieve me of my catalyctic converter, i had to fandangle a straight pipe setup from the cat connection to the muffler. it aint pretty, but it doesnt sound like a harley anymore... lol

Somebody stole your cat converter??...dayum.

Replaced the starter on my 7.3. I need more mechanics for friends, lol; I'm too old for crawling back and forth from under a truck twenty times.

closeanuf said:
Do you have to have the cat to get an inspection?

nope. just straight piped it to the muffler. its old enough that its exempt from the "must have a cat" rule

Same thing. I had the cats fixed. I couldn't do that, so they went to the vet.

Guy that was great that you got to fix your old family coffee maker. Nobody does that anymore.

I also use an old 50s percolator in my camper and I love it. It even lights up inside the pot.

If something ever goes out of whack with it you’ve now given me the encourage to do something about it.

a99ad7884c9e1d78cfae3e69ed670f95.jpg

NO COFFEE = major emergency. I once needed coffee so bad I called 911 - the officer showed up with coffee and of course a doughnut.

gsfish said:
My fix was to replace the module with a standard home light switch. At first I just hot wired it direct and plugged in and unplugged the cord to turn the pot on and off.

You may be getting a call from Jeff Foxworthy :thumbsup:

My pants. Set up my sewing machine so all tattered threads are getting repaired. Also had to alter my pants due to losing some inches intentionally. 

The outside water at Mom's place. Still needs some work, but functional now. Dehydrated landscape plants replaced with green ones. Drip irrigation system I installed previously has sprouted legs and disappeared. No sign of it. Water fill for the van is set up. More to do.  -crofter

I fixed the back doors on my van. They work great now. 

Also I did the conversion myself on the cargo van, budget of $750. Insulation proved to be the most difficult task with 4 failures of the ceiling insulation before I "got it" thanks to free advice on here.

I do need wiper blades, but "fixed" the passenger blade with scotch super 88 tape, for now.

-crofter

Trying to cut the vinyl coin dot flooring but the cold weather won't let it lay down flat. Oh well there are a hundred other things to work on instead.

Fixed a leaky lower oil pan gasket set. Goofy set up on this truck as it has 2 gaskets one either side of the lower pan.

EW46051.png

Every vehicle oil pan I have ever messed with had a gasket down each side and a rubber seal on each end for a total of four.

These days, I mostly enjoy the privilege (ahem..) of taking the old boy to the shop.  Most recently, located and cleared a plugged body drain that had been resulting in water in the passenger foot well area.  Before that, removed the glove box light assembly after years of trying to find a "parasitic" battery drain.  Actual mechanical work?  Replaced oil pressure sensor sender switch.  Much cheaper ($35, plus $10 wrench, plus stuff to clean up a huge mess) than the main seal I thought it was at first!  Now carry a spare, plus the wrench.  Also had to duct tape the front grill assembly in place.  I believe my neighbor's co-worker backed into it in the early morn'.  It looked okay, but the attachment piece is broken.  Now it looks worse, but is secure.  Everything plastic on Moby is very brittle.  JB Weld is marvelous stuff.  Oh, and dental floss and metal mending plates.