What did you, yourself, Repair recently?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mini blinds are hours of fun, and like new when you are done, without spending a single penny.

Next fix at Mom 's place:
The cloth seat of the porch swing, using the old one for a pattern. First thing I broke when I arrived. Yes I rode it to the ground. Welcome home.  -crofter

maki2 said:
Trying to cut the vinyl coin dot flooring but the cold weather won't let it lay down flat.  Oh well there are a hundred other things to work on instead.
You could try warming it on a heat mat to relax the vinyl prior to installation. Remember, heat rises.  -crofter

well....i'm trying to repair a black cashmere sweater, filled with a million holes, that a moth feasted on ( ?) and i ran out of black thread !!!

B and C said:
And baling wire!  I carry both plus zip ties.
Oh yes, zip ties.  I'm a fairly recent convert, but plan to "upgrade" the rear window curtain rod attachment with some.  The front rod is held up with these run through wood trim.  Very useful gizmos, IMO!

And Velcro:  secured a cracked windshield cowl with a few pieces of self-stick we had in my kit.

B and C said:
Every vehicle oil pan I have ever messed with had a gasket down each side and a rubber seal on each end for a total of four.
Err, there are 6 oil pan gaskets in this set up, 4 upper like you said and 2 full square rubber ones on the lower pan, that's why I posted the picture.

Umm, Duct tape Zip ties and JB weld, remind me never to drive anywhere near you guys. If I ever go there.

Recently I repaired:

- a water pump (where normally you would have replaced it, but the motor was fine, it was just the pressure switch and diaphragm - which was 15 USD instead of 80 for a new pump)

- a cordless vacuum (the power switch was the culprit - I didn't even need to replace it, just popped it open, cleaned it well and snapped it back together, which was a bit fiddly, but it ultimately worked out - the thing sucks again, in a good way ;)

- a power display illumination push button - it had totally failed, so I drilled a second hole, inserted a new push button and bridge-soldered 2 wires to the board where the old push button was

- replaced the leaking kitchen faucet

- took apart my electronic music midi keyboard to clean all the contacts, because some keys had stopped working

Today I also cut some new flooring from the trailer, it was repurposed from a remnant length of Boeing 757 galley, micro coin dot flooring. The original flooring in the trailer had only a tiny little scrap left of it. As I want to splice it I needed to figure out what the exact type of material that flooring is so I would know what to use for the splice seam to seal it and what adhesive tape to mount it with. Turns out to be FR PVC....FR is for fire retardant. It should be extremely durable.

Fortunately I think I have some adhesive/caulk that will stick to it on hand. I will run some test on scraps of the flooring over the next couple of days. I also learned what mounting tape to use and they do sell it at my local hardware store.

But I won't get it all finished in a day as the seam adhesive is not instant drying.

I'm at a BLM 14 day in California. Had to go into Parker AZ for supplies. When I got back here my cooling system decided to let go on me. I heard the sizzling and pulled over right away and shut the engine down. I was hoping it wasn't water pump related and took a huge sigh of relief when I found the leak. A plastic tee that connects the heater hoses took a crap on me. Since I have everything known to man in the van aside from that tee, I pulled the whole thing apart and shoved an extension from my socket set in the main supply line and tightened the hose clamp back up. Filled it up with water that I had just gotten in Parker and let it run until the thermostat opened up. Seems to be holding ok. Now to chase the part down.

I'd also like to comment on something. There are about 40 rigs here. I had steam shooting out from under the hood and had just pulled over to the side of the access road, so I was obviously having problems. Not one. Excuse me, one woman who was outside her camper with a guitar did see me and went back inside her rig as though I'm some kind of threat after I drove by.(I've been here for four days and funny enough I'm also a guitar player and have one with me). [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]But not one of these people even popped their head outside to see if I needed a hand. (I had just filled up on water, so I didn't need help). I doubt everyone here saw what happened but quite a few of them did.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So much for the "smile on your brother, everybody get together and love one another right now" routine. If that happened to someone else, I would have checked to see if they needed a hand or tools or water etc. Yeah, I'm a little peeved right now[/font]

Attachments

• tee.jpg
    tee.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 13
with all due respect, not everybody is a nervous Nelly peaking out their window at every passing vehicle. if I for some reason was hunkered down in my vehicle during the day you could have driven by me with your vehicle on fire and I wouldn't notice.

but 95% of the time if the sun is out I am outside and if I would have seen you in distress I would have asked if you needed a hand.

highdesertranger

Yep. Broad daylight. Right on the access road. Right in plain view. I suspect that if I was 100 lbs lighter, female and wearing a skirt this story would have a different ending. No, I'm not a sexist pig. Don't even bother to go there.. :cool:

@MotorVation

Don't let those guitar players work on your rig. They always want to use old strings for zip ties. DIY is always better.  -crofter

Just learning to tinker. I'm working on a 2007 prius and a 2001 Grand Cherokee Larado.
The GC sat 4 years so have replaced ignition cylinder (there is one that makes a copy of key to keep computer recognizing...yea) and it's fuel filter and battery. Preparing for the fuel pump....
On my beloved roadtripping prius with 230000 miles today replaced hatch back supports (look like struts to me. Is there a difference?) and the 12v battery. I've arranged with a mechanic to supervise me changing out larger battery which I expect to need anytime. He's never worked on a Prius but we figure 50 years success with gas vehicles is enough experience as I've been studying and taking the p down to THEBATTERY for years. As side note, rather than just brushing out that battery's air cooler/filter I remove it and throughly clean it so as to not knock dust inside. I've seen immediate improvement in charging afterward.
Just learning to use forums so any help about it would be much appreciated too.
Have fun.

@gsfish

That is a truly dire emergency repair. Why I always buy pre sliced cheese, I cannot bear the thought of a cheese slicer failure. 

As for me, repair failure trying to use a wrench as a hammer.  But I did get to level 25 of a game I am playing.  -crofter

I just replaced the worn out ignition switch on my Dodge van. Common problem, disables windows, turn signals, stereo. This weekend's project is front brake pads. It's always something!

The water pump on my 93 Ford with 5.8 engine. A major PITA ! The bolts corrode badly and like to break off when trying to take them out. 5 of 9 bolts broke.

2 batteries and an ICP (injection conrol pressure) sensor on my 7.3.
Wasn't cheap even with no labor charges. Had to buy a couple of tools which hopefully I never have to use again.

Front brake pads! Also discovered a corded front tire, so I've made an appointment to replace all four this weekend.